Thread: My Kit is Here!!

Default My Kit is Here!!

Well my Late Lancaster kit finally got here!.

Details of my Build,

Grade 3 maple stock (it looks great)
    Siler flint lock
    Double lever Double set davis trigger
    Green Mountain swamped .32 cal barrel, 38" long
    All my trims are in German Silver instead of brass.

The stock is pretty muched shaped, and the barrel channel is inlet. And there is a rough lock mortise and trigger mortise carved out

Im pretty nervous about working on this. These parts arent cheap! Ill reread my pennsylavania rifle building book again, and watch my video once more. But I hope to start work soon!

Smile

If you have never shot with a swamped barrel, they are nice IMHO. They reduce the weight alot and just handle nice. A siler lock is hard to beat. good luck on the build.

BWM
    "Spirituality is the ultimate survival skill. When one is primarily on a spiritual quest, the desire for material objects is effectively lessened. This can make an enormous difference to us in the coming trials since we stand a big chance of losing many of our goodies. We will be in states of shock and anguish. Yet if we learn to not mind losing them, there is no loss. Material goods are to Americans as alcohol is to a drunk. In both cases, losing the craving is a benefit." Mike Oehler

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson, to Archibald Stuart, 1791"

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well my Late Lancaster kit finally got here!.

Details of my Build,

Grade 3 maple stock (it looks great)
    Siler flint lock
    Double lever Double set davis trigger
    Green Mountain swamped .32 cal barrel, 38" long
    All my trims are in German Silver instead of brass.

The stock is pretty muched shaped, and the barrel channel is inlet. And there is a rough lock mortise and trigger mortise carved out

Im pretty nervous about working on this. These parts arent cheap! Ill reread my pennsylavania rifle building book again, and watch my video once more. But I hope to start work soon!
    Outstanding!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Call it CRS syndrome in an old fogey, but I can't remember who you got it from? My impression is that delivery was pretty quick, as those kits go.

Great news, hope you post photo's when you're finished building it.

I got it from pecatonica long rifle supply.

Ill propably post now and then with my progress.

Tommorow Ill post pics of what Im starting with

Petaconica has a really solid rep, Matt. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics and following your progress. I'm having trouble setting aside the time for another build right now, so I'm going to enjoy watching yours.

Question

okay, i gotta ask (finally) ... what is a "swamped" barrel?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Well I was trying to find you a diagram or picture but couldnt find one. Basicly a swamped barrel is hourglass shaped. Its that way to save on weoght and also give it a sort of muzzle heavy feel.

Default Book

I have been looking for a Pennsylvania Long Rifle book for about a year (since a friend highly recommended it. I can't find it mostly because I don't know the author or the actual title.

What is the actual author/title and where did you get it?

Good luck with your project it sounds extremely worthwhile.

Here is the best link I have found for all things black powder book related
    http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(durio3a...t.aspx?catID=4

The book that is always reccomended for a build is this one "the art of the pennslyvania long rifle. http://trackofthewolf.com/(S(durio3a...TNUM=BOOK-ABPL

Well step one for building a muzzleloader is taken care of mamas chores
    Our spare room has been waiting for me to install its laminate now for a couple of months.

So friday I put most of the floor down. Get this, I talked my wife into letting me set up my shop in there! So now instead of the cramped cold garage I got a nice big room

Heres some pics of the barrel and stock. I tried to get a decent picture of the swamp profile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great choice of a rifle!

another good book is:
    The Gunsmith of Grenville County

also some good dvd rentals from Smartflix

Default Muzzleloading gunsmithing books

I would start by reading "Recreating the American Longrifle" by Wm. Buchele and G. Shumway OR "The Modern Kentucky Rifle" subtitled "How to build your own" by RH McCrory. They are both good reading.
    Chris112

Default keep on

I am enjoying the progress pictures that you are posting here. Good job.

Default Thanks

Looking forward to watching/learning through your project - from one that is interested in building a rifle someday. Thanks for your efforts in documenting the project for all of us not currently able to do a build.
    From the cold garage to a exclusive room in the house… sounds like you need to take her out to dinner… soon

well the process is going slow right at the moment. Right now my barrel sits too low from where it needs to be. Im trying to figure out if its something I did or if the stock maker did. He might have inletted the lock in the wrong place. Or I might have moved the barrel back farther than he thought I was going too.

Well guys here is the story. I sent my stock back to pecatonica supply, He agreed to replace the stock, he said something to me that in a way sounded like it was my fault but either way he was sending me a new stock.

That was back in febuary I think. About 4 weeks ago, he says my stock will be shipped out. 2 weeks go buy, no stock, I call him, 2 days later he says my stock showed back up on his doorstep through some sort of error. It will be shipped out this morning.

AHH! here it is 2 weeks later and no stock!

I sent him an email, stating that I appreciated his willingness to work with me, but have been dissapointed with his shipping efforts.

And I mentioned using the good ol USA post office, cheaper and faster shipping than UPS ground wich is what he uses

SO I havent forgot about my project just nothing to work on.

well back in action guys!! Stock got here this afternoon. Ill start another thread when I get back to where I left off.

well back in action guys!! Stock got here this afternoon. Ill start another thread when I get back to where I left off.
    Good news Matt! The loss of time has cut into your opportunity to have it ready for summer, so best wishes on that. Don't rush the job, as you know!

I hope you are going to brown the barrel! Nothing looks nicer. I browned all of my barrels