Thread: Caribou hunt

Smile Caribou hunt

My brother has called and let me know he is going to come up from September 10-20th and would like to hunt caribou. I told him off the top off my head maybe the Haul Rd. or Kotz. I would probably take a caribou but would like to focus on grizzly fro myself. What are everyones thoughts? If it helps I have done several trips out of King Salmon for caribou and hunt moose out of Galena and Fairbanks. I have never done a float hunt but would entertain the idea as this will probably be his only trip and I think a float would make a great trip. I welcome any ideas or contacts that people are willing to give.

If float hunting, be sure to take a look at Michael Stahan's book. It is a great resource for anyone doing float trips in Alaska. Tons of info.

http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

IT all depends on how much you want to spend. The Mulchanta herd is at a low level but is still huntable. I'm going again in Sept. Going north to hunt the WACH is a little more expensive and more of a logistical challange. If you are going to hunt up north, you better hurry to make arrangements. If you are going to do a float, I would highly recommend contacting Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures to help with the hunt planning, he is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    IT all depends on how much you want to spend. The Mulchanta herd is at a low level but is still huntable. I'm going again in Sept. Going north to hunt the WACH is a little more expensive and more of a logistical challange. If you are going to hunt up north, you better hurry to make arrangements. If you are going to do a float, I would highly recommend contacting Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures to help with the hunt planning, he is very good.
    Sorry for sounding dumb... Up north as in?

WACH is western arctic caribou herd. Found up above Kotz. Drop hunt or float trip. Gets crowded up there in places. Only so many operators/bush services, so this is a hunt you want to plan early.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thumbs up Hunting WACH

It is getting real late for a WACH hunt but we can still do it.

Go to www.northwestalaska.com and let the trip planning begin!

I am your best bet in Rafts, Camps and trip planning assistance for WACH hunts.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Thumbs up

Walt,

I was hoping you might chime in here. Thanks for the help you offered our group on the Kug. We had a blast!

You may have a problem booking an service out of Kotz this late, most should be booked up by now. You may want to look into Bettles as well GMU 26.

Default Got friends?

Hit some friends in Kotz or up Kobuk river , if you can.
    Hunting Caribou by boat that time of year is best. Aint nothing like it in the world.

Kotz is crowded and the bou unpredictable. I would recommend going out of Bettles into unit 26. Larger bag limit. Less crowds. More hunter friendly attitude in Bettles. Talk to Brooks Range Aviation and Bettles Lodge.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!