Thread: 7mm mag enough?

Default 7mm mag enough?

I was needing some info from anyone who can help. My wife and i currently live in tennessee, and will be moving to juneau, ak in may or june. I currently hunt with a 30-30 marlin and a model 70 7mm mag win. Will this 7mm mag be enough gun for most game in alaska?

7mm will work fine for all Alaska game however if you hunt brown bear grizzly bear you should get somthing bigger and bison needs a bigger bullet than the 175 grain 7mm,

Default 7mm

I think you will find that most here agree that it will do anything up here but might not be the best caliber for brown bear. If you look through the old threads you will find more than enough information on what hunters up here prefer, why and why not. Good luck with your move.

Default 7mm reply

thanks for the info, I' take a look at those old threads.

Get a good quality bullet and you won't have any problem filling your freezer with meat and your walls with trophies. Down the road when you want to chase brownies you can invest in a .338 or something larger.

I grew up whitetail hunting with a 30-30 and think it would be an experience to take a sheep with an open sight 30-30. First I'll concentrate on just taking my first sheep before I decide to get fancy.

The 7mm rem mag has been my favorite caliber for a long tie, to include 11 years up here. I usuallu use the 154 grain hornaday but occasionally use the 160 grain nosler. It might not be my first choice for the big brown bears but for everything else, I have no problem using it.

Thumbs up 7mm

I think that it should be good enough. Like others said, its all about shot placement, and a good bullet. I took a moose with a 243, and that worked just fine.

Default 7mm

For 10 years my only big game rifle in alaska was my model 110 savage in 338WM. 2 years ago I got a tikka T3 stainless 7MM and when I can get it away from my son it will be my primary hunting rifle. He has shot a moose and caribou, both one shot kills. It is a great round for all but for brownie.

Terry

Default 7mm rem mag

I have lived here since 98, brought my 7mm mag in with me and have never needed more. Agree with others here that if I was going to Kodiak for Bear I'de use a 338 or more. I bought a 45-70 and had it for most the last 10 years took it out a few times mostly for bear protection but never harvested with it. My wife just won a 375 Ruger Alaskan so I guess if I ever need anything bigger thats what we will use. Sold my 45-70. My wife shoots a 7mm WSM, bought her a brand new stainless / synthetic 30-06 with leupold scope, beautifull gun, she shot it a few times and sold it, said she aint using anything but her 7mm WSM, If i'de buy anything for here it would be a long barrel 44 revolver. alot of of folks in the bush use nothing but a 30-06. I'de sell your 30-30 and buy a pistol. Sell it down south as you'll get more out of it. If your gonna do any varmit hunting you may want to trade it for a 223, 22-250, or 17.

Dave

Default Where in Tenn?

Sorry forgot to ask you .. where in tn are you coming from? lived in Clarksville, then Oakgrove and then in Dover for 12 years while I was at Campbell. Still have many brothers and parents in the vicinity. Only been back twice. Dont like going outside. The only thing I miss is turkey hunting.

Good luck and if your driving drive safe.

Dave

7 mag should be fine for all except the big bears. Find a good load - I recommend 160 gr as best overall - and good hunting. One of my sons killed a large mountain griz while sheep hunting with a 7mm - 7mm Dakota with 160 NP. Bullet placement is 90% of a killing shot but in general I would not recommend poking brown/griz with less then a 180 gr. 30 cal.

My wife and i are moving from sevierville, tn. Thanks for all the helpful info. Hope to talk again sometime.

I agree with all of the others that 7mm mag should be fine for pretty much everything here that you're likely to hunt short of Kodiak bears. A friend of mine uses a 7mm exclusively (when he's not bow hunting), and I don't think he has ever felt under gunned. If it was me, I'd disregard any advice to sell the 30-30. You'd be surprised how many of those are up here...particularly out in the villages. I still take mine out a few times every year and have killed a few bears with it. An old guy I grew up hunting with killed moose for 50+ years with a 30-30. Personally, I'd rather have a 30-30 slung over my back than a 44 on my hip any day.

I'm from Juneau and for most hunting a 7mm is fine but the problem is when your hunting admiralty island for deer and find your self covered in deer blood in one of the highest density of brown bears on the planet you tend to get a bit nervous I know people who hunt with a 7mm but I prefer to hunt with something bigger(.338) just because of the fact that I do end up hunting around bears. its really personal choice there is not much you can't kill with the 7mm but if your a little scared about bears get something bigger (I know one guy who had to shoot a bear in self-defense and a guy who was mauled, both while deer hunting around Juneau)

cool, im from strawberry plains tennessee, im currently stationed here at elmendorf in anchorage but when the day comes i will be retiring back in good ole TN