Thread: Ruger Alaskan .454 range report

Default Ruger Alaskan .454 range report

Well today i picked up my .454 Alaskan and took it out to see how it shoots. I was shooting Hornady 300grn ammo. The recoil is not near as bad as i thought. I have shot a ton of .44mag in my day and while this is a bit stiffer it is not that bad. Keep in mind this is not a ''plinking'' pistol. this is a take care of business pistol. I ran 20 rounds through it and by the time i was done my hand could feel it. While it was not a real accuracy test it shot well. It was -21 and i was in a sweater and insulated vest in tennis shoes so i was not really shooting off a rest or any thing like that. I was shooting at 20yrds off hand and had a 6'' group. I do plan on painting the front site bright orange so it shows up better for my old eyes. overall i love the gun and am inpressed with how it shoots. For carry in AK i plan on carrying Grizzly 335grn hard cast bullets. Accuracy is more than acceptable as its for bear protection and would never shoot at anything that was not close. I love this gun! Now its time to order a Simply Rugged holster and its good to go!

Default What barrel

I have one with the 2.5" barrel.

Great to carry all day while fishing.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

2.5'' barrel on the Alaskan

Let us know how the gun handles those 335 gr bullets. I've heard the Alaskan likes Hornady 300 gr, and that some guys carry those instead of .44 magnum harcasts.

I normally wouldn't shoot anything bigger than .44, but I've thought of renting an Alaskan to see how it shoots lighter casull loads. I read good reviews of Corbon's 320 gr FP Penetrators and Grizzly Cartridge's 300 gr Punch bullets. I've also wondered if Winchester's 260 gr Supreme Partition bullets would get the penetration needed for defensive purposes.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I just shot some 240grn Hornady loads and they shot fine as well. I forgot my 334 Grizzly ammo loads at home but will be shooting them soon just to see how they shoot. This gun is what it is. A close range show stopper. It will never be a hunting gun or a plinker but if you need to stop some thing as quick as you can with a handgun this is it. One guy PM's me and asks what kind of groups i got at 50yrds with it.

7 more months!!!!

JDL its actually under 6.5 months!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Well today i picked up my .454 Alaskan and took it out to see how it shoots. I was shooting Hornady 300grn ammo. The recoil is not near as bad as i thought. I have shot a ton of .44mag in my day and while this is a bit stiffer it is not that bad. Keep in mind this is not a ''plinking'' pistol. this is a take care of business pistol. I ran 20 rounds through it and by the time i was done my hand could feel it. While it was not a real accuracy test it shot well. It was -21 and i was in a sweater and insulated vest in tennis shoes so i was not really shooting off a rest or any thing like that. I was shooting at 20yrds off hand and had a 6'' group. I do plan on painting the front site bright orange so it shows up better for my old eyes. overall i love the gun and am inpressed with how it shoots. For carry in AK i plan on carrying Grizzly 335grn hard cast bullets. Accuracy is more than acceptable as its for bear protection and would never shoot at anything that was not close. I love this gun! Now its time to order a Simply Rugged holster and its good to go!
    I like my 454 Alaskan but had some teething pains early on. The gun was out of time. I sent it back, Ruger replaced virtually every thing but the frame. That allowed me to keep the serial number I suppose. Anyway, it shoots fine now and likes 360gr Buffalo Bore the best.

Attached is a picture of a holster that Simply Rugged made, about $80.00 if I recall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sarcasm or Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I just shot some 240grn Hornady loads and they shot fine as well. I forgot my 334 Grizzly ammo loads at home but will be shooting them soon just to see how they shoot. This gun is what it is. A close range show stopper. It will never be a hunting gun or a plinker but if you need to stop some thing as quick as you can with a handgun this is it. One guy PM's me and asks what kind of groups i got at 50yrds with it.
    Kgpcr,

I suspect they guy was just yanking your chain, but in truth, a short barreled gun can produce respecable accuracy.

I recall an article in one of the gun magazines about taking a Colt Detective Special and shooting targets with it at 25, 50 and 100 yards. The accuracy was almost as good as the "control" gun (6" barrel) shot the same day with the same ammunition. The 25-30% larger group size was most probably due to the shorter sight radius and smaller sights than the 1/3 length barrel.

The article asked the question, "Can a 2" barrel stabilize a bullet for accuracy?" The answer was, "Yes".

It would have been interesting (and probably drawn a few inappropriate laughs) if Ruger had kept the scope notches in the SRH frame on the Alaskan. With a scope, the sight radius is irrelevant, and I believe that barrel length's effect on groups sizes would be minor.

Just my opinion, but firmly held.

Lost Sheep

i really enjoy my ruger alaskan. small easy to carry so you have it with you. i use one of the across the chest holsters from mt view sports but i like the looks of the simply rugged holster. where do you order them from or does someone in anchorage area carry them? the gun is a blast to shoot 45 colt ammo with. i have some of the backpacker ammo in i believe 335 grain and it is brutal to shoot. the gun seems to shoot it accurate enough, but it's not enjoyable to shoot very many. the hornady loads are nice to shoot but the 45 colt is the way to go for plinking and practicing.

Kobuk, Simply Rugged holsters can be ordered from www.simplyrugged.com. They are custom-made, and I'm not aware of any retailer selling them. As many forum members can attest, they are top quality at an amazingly low price. The maker, Rob Leahy, is a real gentleman and a pleasure to do business with.

Jeff

thanks FiremanJeff. the holsters look great! do you know if they come with a strap to keep them from falling out or do they just stay in that good? i also saw something about a inside/out strap. is that to carry the holster inside your pants? thanks again.

Sorry for the slow response, my daughter and I took a 10 mile hike in the Jersey Pine Barrens today. Anyhow, a safety strap is available as an accessory, but unless you're skydiving, I don't think you'd need it. Those Simply Rugged holsters secure a gun very snugly. And they ride high and close to your body.

Jeff

I got mine with a thumb break for my Ruger Alaskan .454. I hear its really not needed but it will put my mind at ease. Its a big top heavy gun in the holster with a short barrel. Now i dont have to worry about it.

Default 454 alaskan

My 454 Alaskan shoots 300 XTp hornady bullets well and 360 buffalo as well. Recoil not to bad, but a little the stiff side.