Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anchor systems

Default anchor systems

anyone have any experience with the NRS anchor system, i am running a 14 foot otter, and would like to stop in some spots to fish but i am usually on the sticks, thanks, mark

I have not done it yet, but gave lots of thought to this myself. Missed some good fishing on some trips because the banks were grew up, but the water was too fast/deep to stop in. I will be using a mesh bag with rocks on a rope. I use these same bags in place of tent stakes on my NW float trips. Works like a charm and very strong. Cheap too. Weigh nothing, just add some rocks when you get there. Below is a link to the bags I use. They are at Campmor and come in several sizes.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___48222
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

i use one on my 14' cat and i really like it. funny thing is, i barely ever anchor down in the current. it's usually used at shore as a back up to gravity and forgetfulness. the times that i have anchored in current, it has worked real well. i think a cat may have some big advantages over a round boat when anchoring in current, so temper your expectations. most of all, be careful. things happen fast and anchors come of the bottom slow. as you get used to it, don't tie it to your boat and have your knife handy. start out in slow moving water to get comfortable. take care, abel6wt

Good points made above me here. When I was talking about the mesh bag deal, I was thinking of slow moving currents. Sections where you want to stop every hundred yards and cast to some rainbows, stopping mid river on the Kobuk where the sheefish are schooled up, things like that. I would not want to do this in swift water.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

couple more pointers: don't buy a behemoth anchor. size it for your boat and weight requirements. consider getting one of the lead pyramid, drift boat anchors. they don't hang up on crap as easy and are easy to handle(no pinch points or weird hinges). when getting started, look for seam lines that separate swifter water from slack water or eddies. this way you can anchor in considerably slower water but still be able to cast to the swifter holding water.
    as you get comfortable, try swifter water but start out shallow. yada, yada, yada. have fun, keep your knife handy. take care, abel6wt

c'mon moose dont you want to sell me an anchor system

I was amazed at how well my new anchor system worked last summer on the kenai. Basically put together the NRS system to my liking with parts from AK R&K... Used a lead pyramid.. Stopped/held my raft far better than I ever expected. Both on the seam, and even when I missed the line up and ended up on the swift side..

Trim and weight distribution was more important than in a metal riverboat imo. If you rigged up so the weight was a little front heavy, it planed out really nice...

A few times I moved to the rear seat when anchored, and it shifted the weight back, this caused the rear to plow a little more water, and the raft would pendulum back and forth (side to side) a bit... Dropping the oars in helped this a little as they acted like a keel.

Just curious as to the take on anchoring in a single cat. Is this advisable? It would be nice fish some of the holes you can't stop for.

Anyone care to respond to my last question?

Anyone do this?

Default one man cat

some of the 1 mans are rigged for anchors - I would also like to put one on each of ours - would make it nice to stop in just the right spot and cast from the boat for reds....

My single is set up with a pulley for an anchor.

I just aquired it in December so haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

I just got my single last Oct. I have a chunk of lead for holding me in one position on the lake but I think on moving water with any volume it would make for a very large diving plug???

George

Default anchor

i have a ten foot skookum, 20"" tubes and i use a twenty pound pyramid on the chena and such with no problems, never felt a need to worry, i think as long as the pulley is dead center on the rear frame and not too heavy in back it works fine.i think a guy should not drop it in fast water though, seams and slower water/eddys no problemo, mark

i would say - the smaller the craft, the slower and shallower the current should be when you throw that anchor. im not sure about anchoring a one man toon boat in any current of substance. eddies and slackwater/near shore areas only. just my $.02. take care, abel6wt

Default anchor's

Quote Originally Posted by Xanfly View Post
    Just curious as to the take on anchoring in a single cat. Is this advisable? It would be nice fish some of the holes you can't stop for.
    I'd say it works real good for just pointing at the end of a swing, like half a minute to a minute later. bam fish on. just sayin. anchors are good. I mean how else you gonna swing to both banks. P.S. I flyfish and dig streamers.

I wouldn't try and anchor up in any fast water, but I can think of a couple of instances where it could work.

Thanks Guys

The nrs anchor system is a good one. I have no problems with it on my super puma. Another option on an anchor is a chain anchor. It might not grab as well in faster water but it also doesn't get hung up or wedged into rocks. Thats all I use and have never had a problem. Hope this helps
    KLICKMAN

Default How heavy?

So how heavy an anchor is necessary for a 14 ft raft? I bought a 15lb round lead anchor last year and it won't even think about stopping me in any kind of current. I use to keep my boat from drifting away from shore when I'm wade fsihing and that's about it. I was thinking about picking-up another 15 to add to it this year, any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post

I was thinking about picking-up another 15 to add to it this year, any thoughts?

It should give you almost exactly twice the stopping power you had with the 14 lb anchor.

Was that helpful ha ha...

Kidding man.

Default He He

I suppose I did ask for any thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast