Thread: Quick shrimping question...

Default Quick shrimping question...

I've been searching this forum, as well as the ADFG website, for the answers to this question, but can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Where can I find the regulation that covers the legal size of the entries on shrimp pots? I have a pot that meets the 7/8's rule for the wire spacing, and everthing else seems legit, but I just want to be sure. Here's a copy of the ADFG regs, which do not seem to have the answer I'm looking for. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tral/SCpws.pdf

Send Potbuilder a PM, if he doesn't know nobody does!!!

Thumbs up The regs only cover

the area to be covered in 7/8" mesh. All other areas may be anything else (including openings). On rectangle or square pots, 2 sides must be covered. On round pots, 50% must be covered. Everyting else is fair game.

Hope this helps.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    the area to be covered in 7/8" mesh. All other areas may be anything else (including openings). On rectangle or square pots, 2 sides must be covered. On round pots, 50% must be covered. Everyting else is fair game.

Hope this helps.
    The entire pot is made of 7/8" spaced coated wire. My question is regarding the size/location/elevation of the actual openings. I am looking to see if anybody knows what regs cover these details.

Default No regs on openings other then escapement.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    The entire pot is made of 7/8" spaced coated wire. My question is regarding the size/location/elevation of the actual openings. I am looking to see if anybody knows what regs cover these details.
    The regs only give the minimum requirements for the mesh & the escapement opening. The rest is up to your imagination.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Make sure a 7/8" dowel will go through the mesh, some pots i've seen with a heavier guage wire won't let the dowel go through. In PWS i don't think there are any regs for the size of the tunnel openings,there is a reg for where the escape panel must be though. Ive seen pots with tunnels all over the sides as well as some with the tunnel on top. The one problem i have with talking with folks at F&G or a fish cop is that all your getting is there opinion on the regs and i've talked to a few and everyone had a different opinion of the regs. If you can email me a picture of the pot and i'll give you my opinion on it, if thats any help. My email is akshrimppots@mtaonline.net

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Make sure a 7/8" dowel will go through the mesh, some pots i've seen with a heavier guage wire won't let the dowel go through. In PWS i don't think there are any regs for the size of the tunnel openings,there is a reg for where the escape panel must be though. Ive seen pots with tunnels all over the sides as well as some with the tunnel on top. The one problem i have with talking with folks at F&G or a fish cop is that all your getting is there opinion on the regs and i've talked to a few and everyone had a different opinion of the regs. If you can email me a picture of the pot and i'll give you my opinion on it, if thats any help. My email is akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    I picked up a small section of 7/8" dowel and double-checked the spacing. All sections fit it perfectly (very close fit, but not enough to have to force it through). I've attached two pics so you can see what the openings look like. And yes, I'll be using the pots in PWS, so I'm just hoping that these meet whatever regulations govern that area. I'd prefer to find out here that something didn't check out, rather then from a fish cop! Plus, I'm sure that if I have this question then someone else is bound to have it too. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Raspberry F&G will look at it

When in doubt I have always taken the pot over to the F&G office on Raspberry for inspection. Of course if your not in ANC that might be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    When in doubt I have always taken the pot over to the F&G office on Raspberry for inspection. Of course if your not in ANC that might be a problem.
    When i first started building pots i took one over to the F&G office here in palmer and asked for somebody to check it out, first trooper looked it over and asked where he could buy some, no problems. Next year when i desided to build for sale i again went back to have the pots checked out, first trooper asks "what is it" well i asked for another trooper and same guy as the year before comes out and says all is OK, just then another trooper comes out (a women) looks over the pot and starts telling me whats wrong with it, now the two troopers are looking at each other and fumbling through the reg book comparing notes??? Woman says the escape panel needs to have a "elastic devise" to pull open the panel after the cotton rots away, guy trooper isn't sure??? I say OK i'll go home and change it and off i go. Couple days later i'm in anchorage and go to F&G and ask about the "elastic device" and they look at me and say " oh we repealed that reg a few weeks ago and didn't the palmer office get the email or memo, they should have known that" ???

I was in the F&G office in anchorage this fall asking about crab pot regs, the gal hands me a bunch of booklets and copied pages with the crab regs highlighted. One of my questions was can i use a tunnel as part of the escape panel in a crab pot, well the gal looks at me and says NO! ok i say why does 5AAC 39.145 in the book you just gave me say "beginning jan1,07 all subsistence, personal use and sportfish pots constructed with rigid wire mesh, must have at least one rectangular opening in a sidewall of the pot, WHICH MAY INCLUDE THE TUNNEL except on dungeness ect ect". So thats how much they know at the F&G office, after i pointed that out to her she says well i'll just have to have you talk with our enforement officer about those regs but he isn't here at this time. It all boils down to what each persons(officers) interpedation of the regs are and how up to date they are on the newest regs. All i know is if you get a ticket and go to court to defend yourself its still going to cost you no matter if you win or lose and that ain't right.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I picked up a small section of 7/8" dowel and double-checked the spacing. All sections fit it perfectly (very close fit, but not enough to have to force it through). I've attached two pics so you can see what the openings look like. And yes, I'll be using the pots in PWS, so I'm just hoping that these meet whatever regulations govern that area. I'd prefer to find out here that something didn't check out, rather then from a fish cop! Plus, I'm sure that if I have this question then someone else is bound to have it too. Thanks for the help.
    Those look like B&J pots, lots of them fishing in the Sound. Let me know how they fish for you

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I figured that I may have the same problem if I went down to the Anchorage office as well. I knew that there were quite a few folks on here that are very familiar with shrimping and the regs, so thanks for the info guys! Potbuilder, I just sent you an email.

There isnít a Quick shrimping question...on this forum
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    There isnít a Quick shrimping question...on this forum
    sure there is

Q: Give me good COordinates to set on, PMs are OK
    A: $#*@ Off

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.