Thread: Predator hunting ( lynx )

Cool Predator hunting ( lynx )

What is the best rifle for hunting lynx and coyotes i'm looking at the 17 hmr or 204 rem. Thanks.

Default Best rifle

.22 Magnum. pleanty of power and no fur damage with FMJ.

I would think either is good for lynx but would personnaly like the 204 for reach.

Default bang

I use a CZ 527 varmint in the 204 . I has always done me good.

lynx are not that big. A big lynx is 35 lbs. Also you will have a hard time calling in a lynx into the open. I would use the 17 or a 22, because most of the shots would be close. I have never called for lynx I trap them it just seems easier. A trap works 24-7 calling is only as good for how long you can hold out in the cold.

Thumbs up perfect

Quote Originally Posted by AK Archer View Post
    .22 Magnum. pleanty of power and no fur damage with FMJ.
    I use it as well, works great.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default 22 Mag.

Although we don't have Lynx here in NC, we do have a few Bobcats, Coyotes, and some very tough Racoons. Most people around here feel that the 22 mag is plenty for this size game. I personally took a 120 lb. Whitetail at 120 yards with my 22 mag. I shoot CCI 40 grain HPs. The bullet passed completly through the animal after hitting the lungs, and breaking a rib on the opposite side. I know it was hard to believe myself. Don't under estimate the power of a 22 mag. Mine is just one of the $200.00 Marlins, but with a little trigger work I did myself, it is a tack driver. I use it all year long for groundhogs, I might also mention that I have a 22-250 that mostly sits in my safe.

Of the two ya mentioned I would go with the .204.

Right now I'm toying with either the .204 or a .17 Rem.

Seen a post on another board to day where a caller shot a bobcat at 60 feet with a .204. Entered above the nose (Small hole) and no exit.

Just food for thought.

Default .17 Rem

I have a Remington 700 bdl classic in .17 rem out of 11 cats and many many fox I've only had to sew a little on one lynx. Shots have been 25 to 200+ yards, 25 grain hollow point goes in, doesn't come out. I've also harvested coyotes and 2 wolves with it, All one shot. Wouldn't trade it for anything.