Thread: Muzzle loader rifle.

Cool Muzzle loader rifle.

Witch is the best muzzle loader on the market in 50 cal.

Quote Originally Posted by moosehunter View Post
    Witch is the best muzzle loader on the market in 50 cal.

I am not sure what the best is, but I just bought a T/C Triumph, this is my first muzzleloader and after looking around it seems like a good choice for me, now if it would just warm up I could go try it out

TC is awesome, there is a guy selling a Knight for under $300 that I know. ADF&G uses the Knights for their safety classes.

The "best" is more a matter of opinion. For in-lines, I have a TC and love it. TC Omegas, Encores, Triumphs, take your pick. I have shot the Knights during the muzzleloader cert course and much prefer the TC over Knights, mostly due to the differences at the breach end of the rifle. I just prefer the rolling block design over the disc design. ADF&G uses Knight rifles because Knight gave 'em one heck of a deal on ordering rifles for the muzzleloader course. That being said, Knight does make a good rifle and they've been around a long time.

For traditional muzzleloaders, my preference is the Lyman rifles. Still haven't found someone who has owned a Lyman Great Plains Rifle or Plains Hunter and regretted it. I have a Cabelas Hawkin and it's an excellent rifle for the money. My buddy has a TC Hawkin and it's nice as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    The "best" is more a matter of opinion. For in-lines, I have a TC and love it. TC Omegas, Encores, Triumphs, take your pick. I have shot the Knights during the muzzleloader cert course and much prefer the TC over Knights, mostly due to the differences at the breach end of the rifle. I just prefer the rolling block design over the disc design. ADF&G uses Knight rifles because Knight gave 'em one heck of a deal on ordering rifles for the muzzleloader course. That being said, Knight does make a good rifle and they've been around a long time.

For traditional muzzleloaders, my preference is the Lyman rifles. Still haven't found someone who has owned a Lyman Great Plains Rifle or Plains Hunter and regretted it. I have a Cabelas Hawkin and it's an excellent rifle for the money. My buddy has a TC Hawkin and it's nice as well.
    I agree. I own inlines, but they kinda bore me. Just not enough "stuff" you can do with them once you have a load worked out. But I'm all the time tinkering with my traditionals and building stuff for them. Lots more fun to shoot, too.

There's about half a dozen of us living within a mile of each other and all of us own both inlines and traditionals. We shoot together once a week on average and usually more often. And it's a rare day for anyone to drag out their inlines, while most of us show up with 2 or 3 traditionals to shoot. We do lots of snowshoe hare hunting with the muzzleloaders, shooting whichever caliber interests us at the moment and adjusting the powder charges downward accordingly.

From the pure standpoint of using and having fun, the traditionals have it about 100:1 in our neighborhood. And numberwise it's a tossup between brands. Lots of TC, Lyman, Traditions and Cabelas. They're all good and all cheap when you find a good used one. Not bad new, either.

The new model knights are pretty much the same as anyother inline. Your thinking of the old percusion inlines and the disc system. I dont think Knight even makes a disc gun anymore. Knight makes a neat rolling block now. If inlines still interested me Id get one of those to try out.

As everyone else said T/C's are all top notch. But as far as inlines go I dont think you can go wrong. Id be just as apt to try a 200 dollar CVA over a 500 dollar T/C.

My big riff with the inlines is that they pretty much limit you to using sabots and or conicals. None of wich are cheap.

Inlines got me started into muzzleloaders but now I have gone more the traditional route. Im now progressing into flintlocks! I just won a gun at auction, its a .54 cal flintlock smooth bore. So I can stoke that up with shot for bunny hunting or roundballs for moose! That to me is one fun, usefull muzzleloader.

So dont shy away from traditional muzzleoders. They really arent all that much of a "handicap" they just get you more back to the core of what muzzleoading is about. And guessing that you are looking for a muzzleloader right now you are probably interested in it from the history and skill required. All add also that traditonal muzzleloaders just look better

So if you wanted a traditional looking and acting muzzleoader check out a lyman trade rifle. they can be had for 300.00 off of gunbroker.

Let us know what intrests you and what you are looking to do with a muzzleloader