Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Power Pot Puller

Default King Power Pot Puller

Has anyone here had any experience (good/bad) with the Fusion King pot puller by King Power that Donalsons is selling? (http://www.doncollc.com/pot_pullers.htm)

I searched the threads and found this one http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=12431 that talked alot about the Ace puller and others, but nothing really on the King Power.

I am looking for one that is collapsable and easy to store when not in use. Any info would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I say don't do it. I bought their smaller version from Donaldson's, and it was crap. I ended up sending it back to the manufacturer (in a million pieces) and they sent me back their latest and greatest 2008 model. It was better, but still not what I expected.

I since upgraded to the Honda gas powered 4hp, 4 stroker on a davit. I think it is awesome!!

I would not recommend buying any of the "cheaper" electric models. They just don't have enough horsepower to pull heavy loads. IF you were out of Seattle and dropping pots in 100 ft of water, then maybe. But we drop from 500 - 600 ft....they just can't do it.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

electra dyne.com you'll only buy it once !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default I bought Fusion King

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Steve is right. He said the same thing when I bought mine and I have kicked myself ever since. If you are pulling 2 pots and the current is running, you might as well pull 'em by hand. If the wind comes up forget it.

Now on a calm day I pulled 3 at once, but that was the only time.
    It is a trick little rig that I bolted to a gimbal mount and it fits in a rod holder. At least it doesn't take up much room in the cabin. I have been told that replacing the wire to the motor with larger gauge will help a lot.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default fusion-don't buy

Steve is right . But not all of us can buy that one or have the room. I have the Ace and 5 other friends have them. Another friend and a bro-in-law bought the Fusion, they are bad. They both took them back and got the new one-still junk. Ace pulls 2 pots easy all day. Mine developed a noisy gear box after 5 years. I talked to them about a repair kit and they sent me a brand new motor and gear box, no charge. Service means a lot.

I'll second that one. I put a toggle switch on the base of mine for easier access at the puller.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Does this come with the rigging or is it only the motor?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Does this come with the rigging or is it only the motor?
    ???? electra dyne

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Electra dyne

Potbuilder,I see that the electa dyne has 100#s of pulling power. How well would the 1/2 HP puller do pulling 5 pots? Or should I go for the 3/4 hp and not fudge? Currently I use a capstan winch on a davit which has LOTS of power, but it is rather slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Fisher View Post
    Potbuilder,I see that the electa dyne has 100#s of pulling power. How well would the 1/2 HP puller do pulling 5 pots? Or should I go for the 3/4 hp and not fudge? Currently I use a capstan winch on a davit which has LOTS of power, but it is rather slow.
    A old friend of mine used to say "the best is poor enough" so i'd say if you can afford it go for the more powerful motor, but i'd think a call to the folks at electra dyne could clear up any questions you have about the haulers. Also the haulers are available in 3 different gear reductions so that will have something to do with which HP motor you deside on. I'm pretty sure no matter which motor you deside on it will pull a 5 pot string well.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default pulling power

Had the 1/2 hp on 1 1/4" stainless davit, 150 ft a minute 5 pot string fully loaded with jumbos didn't even phase it. Best use of perm fund check I ever did.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Before you spend big on a good quality pot puller Iíd suggest trying the buoy pull method, you may stick with it.
    I run 3 of Steveís pots on a line using this method and it works wonderfully, the hardest part is pulling the pots over the side after you get them up. Granted last year was our first season shrimping, but we fished the entire year without losing or damaging a pot behind repair. Out by Knight Island I had one hang up but it only suffered minor damage.
    Plan on running 4 pots on a string next year with a bigger buoy, or dropping sets of 2 and 3.
    For use space in our small cockpit is a premium, so even if I had my pick of pullers the buoy system would be our choice.
    If anything it serves as a great backup if your electric puller craps out, and at about 15 bucks apiece itís definitely a bargain.
    Iíve still got plenty of shrimp in the freezer from last yearÖ
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default bouy

not what you asked - but I pulled 5 pots with a bouy (too small of a bouy too) and a 5-gallon bucket last year with no problems. The 5-gal bucket helps hold back the bouy - it worked pretty good for this newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    not what you asked - but I pulled 5 pots with a bouy (too small of a bouy too) and a 5-gallon bucket last year with no problems. The 5-gal bucket helps hold back the bouy - it worked pretty good for this newbie.
    Well maybe Iíll try 5 pots on a string.
    Did the bucked thing also last year for added opposing force; great minds think alike.
    By chance I also discovered if you pull straight for a bit to get the pots off the bottom than turn into the pots it cuts the pull time about in half.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

???? electra dyne
    Not sure of the terminology, but does it come with the "mounting" pole, attachment hardware etc?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Not sure of the terminology, but does it come with the "mounting" pole, attachment hardware etc?
    As far as i know they(electra dyne) does sell a davit "aka mounting pole" and any mounting hardware you need as extra's. Every boat and boat owner has a different idea of how a hauler should be mounted on their own boat so its kind of a custom work as you go kind of deal. If you stop by my booth at any of the shows this spring i'll give you my 2 cents worth of ideas of how to mount a hauler.
    One thing i've got to say is i don't know how you guys with the downrigger mount haulers can trust those tiny mounts??? I know i'm going to hear how hard you have pulled on them and no problems but i still can't see them staying on the boat if you really got hung down good and pulled real hard on them. I think those electric haulers just don't have enough balls to pull anything very hard (by the reports guys have put on here). Anyone who i've talked to that ownes one tells me they just keep pulling.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default worried

As far as i know they(electra dyne) does sell a davit "aka mounting pole" and any mounting hardware you need as extra's. Every boat and boat owner has a different idea of how a hauler should be mounted on their own boat so its kind of a custom work as you go kind of deal. If you stop by my booth at any of the shows this spring i'll give you my 2 cents worth of ideas of how to mount a hauler.
    One thing i've got to say is i don't know how you guys with the downrigger mount haulers can trust those tiny mounts??? I know i'm going to hear how hard you have pulled on them and no problems but i still can't see them staying on the boat if you really got hung down good and pulled real hard on them. I think those electric haulers just don't have enough balls to pull anything very hard (by the reports guys have put on here). Anyone who i've talked to that ownes one tells me they just keep pulling.
    Thanks. As I am retro fitting my Sea Ray I am concerned about the down rigger mounted types as all I have is fiberglass. I am thinking of a pole type mounted to someting solid below.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Thanks. As I am retro fitting my Sea Ray I am concerned about the down rigger mounted types as all I have is fiberglass. I am thinking of a pole type mounted to someting solid below.
    Just make sure you back up whatever mounts you install with a plywood & aluminum backup plate to spread out the load of the mount & bolts.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey Steve, if you still have my pictures show them what your talking about! I for one followed his advice and the photos speak for them selves as to what can be done with the Electra-dyne! Don't be swayed by the 100lb rating, when you talk to the factory they will tell you what it really pulls. I am 100% confident that it would pop the 3/8 line!
    Unless price is your ONLY concern, id look hard at them as you would never regret that decission.
    Mike

Default fusion king

I just started shrimping this year and used the heavier fusion king puller, have to say was not thrilled. I had two pot sets and cant imagine it pulling any more. it takes a heck of a power draw and still had to use max help when the pots were full. learned alot this summer and will be getting the electra dyne this spring. I found a great spot or two that fills my pots so im hooked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast