Thread: Finally Found a Load With The 150 E-Tip In My 06

Default Finally Found a Load With The 150 E-Tip In My 06

Finally found a load for the 150gr E-Tip in my 30-06 that has acceptable accuracy while at the same time acceptable velocity. I felt real good about he first and third shot but also felt I moved some when I touched off the second round so I do expect more out of this load.

150gr E-Tip .696" using W748 moving at 2895 on average.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What, you couldn't shoot 0.004-inches better?

Is that the proper way to measure accuracy, outside to outside? Or should it be middle to middle of holes?

Great news Beartooth, what velociteis were you geting with your 168 TTSX'S?

And congrats on the cul buck, maybe you can use the antlers for rattilng

I think I figured it out....1.004 - 0.308 =0.696. Outside to outside minus diameter of bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Great news Beartooth, what velociteis were you geting with your 168 TTSX'S?

And congrats on the cul buck, maybe you can use the antlers for rattilng
    The 168gr TSX was a 100fps faster but extreme spread with that load was not acceptable. Yet, I still need to shoot it at long distance to see how it does and not just draw a conclusion that my extreme spread will keep it from shooting well.

I am going to work with the 168gr TTSX soon and if it shows promise I will use it on heavier game and this 150gr E-Tip on deer, hogs and coyote.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Trash View Post
    I think I figured it out....1.004 - 0.308 =0.696. Outside to outside minus diameter of bullet.
    That is it you got it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BC of the 150gr E-Tip sure makes up for a lot. My accurate hunting load I have been using is with a 165gr Sierra HPBT moving on average at 2973fps.

Now this 150gr E-Tip I have loaded is moving 2895fps and BC does make a difference!!!! When BC causes a 150gr bullet to out perform down range over a 165gr bullet moving on the average 78fps faster, BC becomes important.

150gr E-Tip at 300yds is -4.84" with 1801 pounds energy and -17.2" at 400yds with 1542 pounds energy and -66.52" at 600yds with 1111.5 pounds of energy.

165gr Sierra HPBT at 300yds is -4.61" with 1823 pounds of energy and -18.06" at 400yds with 1477 pounds of energy and -73.04" at 600yds with 949.8 pounds of energy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    The 168gr TSX was a 100fps faster but extreme spread with that load was not acceptable. Yet, I still need to shoot it at long distance to see how it does and not just draw a conclusion that my extreme spread will keep it from shooting well.

I am going to work with the 168gr TTSX soon and if it shows promise I will use it on heavier game and this 150gr E-Tip on deer, hogs and coyote.
    I thought I rembered the heavier 168 TSX going about 3000 fps out of your rifle and I guess my memory was good. That is very interesting the lighter bullet going so much faster. My results with the 168 TTSX and 180 E-Tip out of my 300 WSM were a little more predictable with the E-Tips going about 3020 and the TTSX's going about 3050 with max loads.

Hopefully you get good results with the TTSX's

Happy and Blessed New Year

Happy new year to you also and good hunting and shooting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS