Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus "The Judge" opinions

Default Taurus "The Judge" opinions

I just got the January issue of American Rifleman which had a 3 page writeup on "The Judge". Its been out for a few years now and I am hoping that someone here has shot one or hauled one around the woods so that I can get their views on this gun.

I am thinking about the best of both worlds, 410 shells for grouse or tarmachicken and 45 colt for bear repellant. I know, 45 is a bit on the small side for bear, but its strictly backup at that point.

Thanks for any opinions or reviews.

Question >>>------->

Am curious myself about how a Federal Power-Shok .410 slug may perform with this Taurus.

I was never impressed with 410, even in my full size shotgun with an adjustable choke on full it has little range at all. The only reason I keep it is my grandpa and I used to sit in his apple orchard and kill birds with it, and now that he is gone it's the only thing of his I got. So the 410 thing don't add up in my book! You would likely do as good bird hunting with a rock as 410 shot out a rifled barrel. I was watching American Hunter on TV just today, they shot the judge at a 2 foot target from 10 or 12 foot off, and the pattern filled the whole target with #7 shot holes. Looked to me like that would be about max effective range with shot.

.45 Long Colt is as good as .44 Mag. for bear attack, if not better. Get a good bear gun and head pop your birds with it.

Andy

It has been my experience that most things designed for more than one purpose rarely do any of them well, and believe me, the "Sludge" certainly fits that motto to a TEE!
    If you look up the word "worthless" in a dictionary you will see a picture of a Taurus Judge!

From what I have read I would say very underwhelming...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

I stopped visiting box of truth when he started advertising to stop aerial wolf hunting.

Interesting..I didn't pick-up on that one...

Default I was out shooting at the local sandhill a couple years ago...

And two fellas pulled up with two of the things, both spankin' new. They had with them one box of factory loaded .45 Colt 255 gr. lead bullet loads, a box of 2 1/2" .410 with 7's, and some loads with buckshot.
    They didn't have a lot of trouble keeping the things on a gallon milk jug with the Colt .45 loads out to around 30 yards. The buckshot loads were absolutely worthless at more than about ten yards. One of 'em took a poke at the surface of the pond adjacent, and the 'pattern' looked like a doughnut...
    In the end, I think mesself that the factory loaded .45 colt rounds will do more damage and be a lot more effective than either buck or slug loads from the .410, and at more than a few feet, smaller shot just makes noise.
    Now, in spite of that, we cannot keep the things on the shelf. We're also getting more calls daily about the things than we do from fellas wanting AR's, I believe mostly because of the writeup in the last Rifleman.

I'm just curious about the legality of gunsmithing on those things. I'd love get a new stainless "magnum" Judge with the 3" cylinder, and have someone install a 6" smoothbore barrel on it. That should get it to pattern much better with shot.

However I don't think it would be legal then. From what I understand the rifled barrel keeps it legal.

My brother bought one and though it was horrible. He said the shot pattern and range was junk. He also didn't like its feel when shooting at all. I would buy a ruger in 45 and a 22 for birds. I think the shot shells are less than useless.

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    It has been my experience that most things designed for more than one purpose rarely do any of them well, and believe me, the "Sludge" certainly fits that motto to a TEE!
    If you look up the word "worthless" in a dictionary you will see a picture of a Taurus Judge!
    Which model do you own?

I'm wondering how much of some of these comments is opinion and how much is personally tested fact?

I think it's very cool. Worthless.... but cool !

Akshrop has a good point, buy the right tool for the job.

I want a cool pistol so I'll be getting a judge

KRS

Default All I know is what I seen...

first hand that day, and it wasn't good, at least in my opinion. I think that what Taurus had in mind was a personal defense piece using buck shot at arm's length, and to be honest, seven OO pellets in the face at three feet would ruin your day, and at least make someone feel more competent.
    As a foraging piece, it's a waste of time and resources, but like I mentioned, we can't get enough of 'em, so I must be out in orbit on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    first hand that day, and it wasn't good, at least in my opinion. I think that what Taurus had in mind was a personal defense piece using buck shot at arm's length, and to be honest, seven OO pellets in the face at three feet would ruin your day, and at least make someone feel more competent.
    As a foraging piece, it's a waste of time and resources, but like I mentioned, we can't get enough of 'em, so I must be out in orbit on this one!
    I don't really think Taurus had it in mind to be a hunting piece. Apparently its named "The Judge" because of the popularity of judges carrying them under their robes (yeah....its just what I heard on TV). I feel this rig is strictly a cool/self defense gun.....Just my opinion.

I own 2 Judges, one for shooting, one unshot. They are both the 3" chamber variety. My dad has a 2.5" chamber Judge as well as a 3" one, and I've shot his 2.5" chamber.

I think the key with the Judge is to get the 3" chamber one. The extra power and shot of the 3" is noticable, and the spread pattern is better. There's also a much better variety of ammo for the 3" chamber Judge. I have 4, 6, and 7 weight steel shot, as well as 000 buckshot.

As for the gun itself, it's heavy, but it's nice and comfortable, and it has a natural aim to it, at least for me. It's a blast to shoot skeet with. This gun is LOUD and kicks like a mule. I've taken it to the gun range and other shooters gathered around me to see what the heck is going on when they heard it.

I'm not very accurate with it in 45LC mode. I have a S&W 625 LC gun that I shot 500% better with. I wouldn't say that the gun is inaccurate, althought it might be. That might be me, might be the gun.

I keep the shooter Judge in a quick open gun safe under my bed in case something goes bump in the night. The ammo I load it with is done with strategic purpose. The first 2 shots are #4 steel shot. The next 2 are 45LC, and the last one is 000 buckshot. The first 2 shots are the wide spread, "fill a doorway" type shot. The next 2 are lethal force/have to shoot through something shots. And the buckshot is overkill.

Default steel?

as a past waterfowl hunting enthusiast - why would you want to use steel shot for self defence? lead and speed kills dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    as a past waterfowl hunting enthusiast - why would you want to use steel shot for self defence? lead and speed kills dead.
    I agree steel is not a stopper itís a penetrator. It will go through, out the other side and take much of the energy with it. The person or critter will likely die without medical help, but likely not fast enough to protect you from an aggressor. The duck keeps on flying to later become coyote food; the man stabs or shoots you and runs off to the ER.

Lead on the other hand is a far better stopper, it deforms on contact delivering much more of that energy into the target. Hard cast lead is about the best balance of penetration and energy delivery for fast stopping power.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I agree steel is not a stopper itís a penetrator. It will go through, out the other side and take much of the energy with it. The person or critter will likely die without medical help, but likely not fast enough to protect you from an aggressor. The duck keeps on flying to later become coyote food; the man stabs or shoots you and runs off to the ER.

Lead on the other hand is a far better stopper, it deforms on contact delivering much more of that energy into the target. Hard cast lead is about the best balance of penetration and energy delivery for fast stopping power.

Andy
    All I could find was steel in the bird shot. The buckshot is lead enough

Quote Originally Posted by goatspeed View Post
    All I could find was steel in the bird shot. The buckshot is lead enough
    Yes its lead, but very soft lead. Work well enough for a people but not even close to a 45 Long Colt hard cast or JHP in the same gun. Even a 38 or 9mm would do much better than the 410 buckshoot I bet. I do aggree that it's cool to have a 45 that you can stuff a shot shell in, just not good for much.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yes its lead, but very soft lead. Work well enough for a people but not even close to a 45 Long Colt hard cast or JHP in the same gun. Even a 38 or 9mm would do much better than the 410 buckshoot I bet. I do aggree that it's cool to have a 45 that you can stuff a shot shell in, just not good for much.

Andy
    The 3" 410 000 buckshot is 70grs (x5), 350 total for the load. It fires that at 808fps. That's 508ft lbs of energy. A single hit from a 45 ACP is 370 ft lbs. The 000 3" buckshot blows away 38 or 9mm, AND creates 5 wound channels. You said the buckshot isn't close to 45LC in performance...well the gun can shoot those too. But I think I made a pretty strong case with actual numbers that it's comparable to better...at least it would be for some applications. Finally, I can put steel or lead (if I find some) bird shot in it. I think that's a little better than cool. Sounds to me like you are trying to find reasons not to like it.

Magnum Research also makes a BFR revolver that chambers both 45LC and 410 shot/buckshot/slugs. You get the benefit of a longer barrel on that gun, but it's giant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast