Thread: Hidden Lake contour map

Default Hidden Lake contour map

Salmon man and I decided to fish Hidden Lake this weekend Does anyone know where you can get a Bathymetric map of the lake or have any hints to ice fishing there

Default Bathymetric maps

Hi Dave,

The only bathymetric maps I know of for Alaska lakes are the ones on the ADFG website, which can be found AT THIS LINK. You probably already found this, but maybe it can help someone else.

Regrettably, Hidden Lake is not on their list. Maybe someone else can come up with something?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default If you're talking...

... Hidden on the pen., there is no bathymetric. Just fish sharp drop-offs on the south shore or islands.

Don't know how well the lake is frozen yet.

Default I found it

I know that I am not the only one that has spent a lot of time looking for this so here it is. http://www.fws.gov/filedownloads/ftp...ric/Hidden.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    Excellent link!!! Thanks!!!!!

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Anyone know current ice conditions for Hidden Lake?

can't imagine hidden is any worse that kenai (which was walkable a couple weeks ago) and its been -20 down there for a few days, that tends to form a lot of ice
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Unless there's a ton of snow, I'd think people would be driving all over Hidden Lake by this weekend?

Thumbs up Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I know that I am not the only one that has spent a lot of time looking for this so here it is. http://www.fws.gov/filedownloads/ftp...ric/Hidden.pdf
    Thanks! I could never find one, and this will make my fishing much easier on that lake. Woohoo!

I used to fish Hidden a lot in the winter. I have driven on it many winters right around New Years and after. However, I was never the first to drive on it. I didn't go on unless there were previous vehicle tracks. Interesting that the FWS bathymetry only shows 148 feet of depth. I have measured 220' of depth. As mentioned, fish the drop offs on the south slopes of the islands (especially the largest 2 islands, fish near the outlet of the creek and the whole bay near the launch, and the 2 larger bays on the southern shoreline (bluffs). You can also cruise around and look for previous holes and signs of success on ice. Good luck and dress warm it is usually windy.

Default Hidden lake ice

Plenty of ice if your not a sissy to drive on
    The ice was anwhere from 11 inches to 15 inches and probably adding quite a bit more as we speak.

Hmmm, I got a reliable report yesterday that it was over 24" of cutting to hit water. Of course that lake's big enough to see plenty of variation from spot to spot.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default ice conditions

I wouldn't believe your report, we spent two days drilling all over that lake. The islands, the north shore, the south shore off the bigger bay, all the way back towards the back of the lake. Most places were 11-12 inches except around the islands where there was 15 inches. I am sure more is being made quickly as we spoke though.

Default Reliable source:

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Hmmm, I got a reliable report yesterday that it was over 24" of cutting to hit water. Of course that lake's big enough to see plenty of variation from spot to spot.
    FOR __________ who asked about HIDDEN LAKE ICE THICKNESS. I called Moose and Goose headquarters on Friday and they reported that on December 29 the ice on HIDDEN Lake was at TWO FEET thick. Since then we have had temps dropping another ten degrees colder every day for a week so ice could be approaching 30 inches if the snow cover is thin. Looks like this year there will be a RUN ON AUGER EXTENSIONS at Sportsman's Warehouse. Better get the 12 incher! You'll all need them before spring it seems.

Is that the source of which you speak JOAT. That is found on... shall we say... another outdoor site?

I, like someone else mentioned above, will only drive on that lake when I see other sets of tracks. I'm so house-bound, I may just try it today.

Default Dont trust the gov

HIDDEN LAKE ICE THICKNESS. I called Moose and Goose headquarters on Friday and they reported that on December 29 the ice on HIDDEN Lake was at TWO FEET thick.

Salmonman and I fished the last two day on the lake and drilled holes from the landing to the island and there is not 2 feet any where on the lake driving conditions are vary marginal the thickest ice we found was 15 inches and the thinest was 11 in the center of the lake. Not thick enough to drive all over the lake but sefishent to go to your spot and back. Giving out falty info like this could cause someone to end up in the brink thinking they can drive by all of those springs. All though there were truck tracks on the lake before we got there we drilled a test hole to be safe. The 11 inches had us scraching our head if it was smart or not. it's all black ice so you are safe to drive but I wouln not park right next to people. any way the fishing was slow and cold I will post the photos as soon as I get them loaded to photo bucket

Default The fish we caught

Default is it cold

Default it is cold

The heater broke thet first day due to the cold so we stayed outside. The second day we fixed the heater but had a hard time fining the fish so we did not set the Ice shak up. I twas a nice trip since it is not as far as we thought we are planing to go a few more times