Thread: My .375 H&H build is done

Default My .375 H&H build is done

My .375 barreled action arrived last month. I planned to drop it in the McM Classic I had on hand, but the one I have is a BDL. After thinking about it, I really wanted a blind mag on this rifle. A buddy ordered up a few Rimrock ADL stock blanks (unfinished), so I figured I try one.

The Rimrock stock needed a fair amount of work. I needed to do quite a bit of sanding, bed it, fit a recoil pad (Limbsaver) and paint it. I've been putzing with it for the last couple of weeks, and I'm happy with the results. It's a nice lightweight stock, and it's stiff as all get up.

Here is a shot of the unfinished stock:

And, here is the finished rifle:

After a few changes from my original plan, here are the final specs:
    Blued 700 action (previously a 7-Mag) w/ factory trigger
    #3 Douglas, chopped at 21", chambered in .375 H&H
    Rimrock stock, bedded w/ SteelBed, Krylon paint job
    Leupold 2.5-8x in Talley LW's
    All up, she weighs 7-1/2 pounds on the nose.

I hope to get out and shoot it a bit later in the week.

Good looking job. Wow, 7.5 lbs-good thing you put the Limbsaver on.

Default incredible!

Dan outstanding work! What kind of paint did you use? Did you make a stensil to get the pattern?? Is it for sale!!

Nice no-nonsense rig.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    What kind of paint did you use? Did you make a stensil to get the pattern??
    I used Krylon Fusion paint. It's made for plastics, and the "camo" versions have a flat finish. I bought it at Wal-Mart.

I painted the stock in a tan color, and when it dried, I cut irregular strips of blue masking tape with a razor blade. I taped the stencil l strips on the stock and re-painted the whole thing black.

After I removed the tape, I didn't like the outcome. It had a lot of sharp contrast, and I thought it looked bad. I lightly hit it again, by holding the spray can a long way away from the stock, so I just got some over-spray "speckles" on it. I did that with both colors. The black specks subdued the tan, and the tan specks softened the black, and I think it looked a lot better.

Finally, I covered everything with a few coats of Kylon's matte clear coat. This smoothed out the texture of the stock a bit.

7-1/2 lbs aint all that bad.
    You carry a gun more than you shoot it, and with a Brown Bear or BigFoot inyour sights, I doubt you'll have any felt recoil at all when you squeeze that trigger.

Sometimes, after I shoot, I wonder "Did I reload???" Honestly, I have to check.... Its so automatic, and it never hurts my ears to watch an animal go down as well

Congratulations Dan on a finished project that you enjoyed doing, and you're proud enough of the outcome to share with us. It's your custom rig, and I think it will look pretty cool this fall in the AK wild...that rifle wants to hunt and it shows. The light weight will be nothing but good in the field. I never notice recoil when I shoot at an animal...does anyone? At the bench you will notice it, but you'll manage. You'll have plenty of time between shots to dry fire and stop twitching as you're being careful to let the barrel cool on that #3.

IMO you chose a fantastic cartridge for up here in AK. I don't remember if you handload Dan, but the 375H&H is easy to handload and easy on brass. When you get to the point of loading for it be sure to try RL-15 and 270 TSX's...great combo for the Great Land.

Well done, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    RL-15 and 270 TSX's...great combo for the Great Land.
    Absolutely!

Here are the results of the 270gr TSX/RL-15 combo, from a different .375 H&H I had. I dug the bullet out of a brown bear I shot in 2007. It weighs 270 grains, just like the day I loaded it.

Looks great, Dan! So it's just a bit heavier than the savage you had, right? I look forward to seeing it. Well done!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Nice job!

Hey Dan--I think you nailed it. I like every choice you made on that Kodiak deer rifle of yours. The stock looks fantastic--one of my friends has a Rimrock stock on his custom rifle, and I have never handled a nicer shooting stock.

I'll "3rd" the nomination for the RL15 in the .375 H & H. It shoots accurately at 2550 fps with standard large rifle primers behind a Sierra 300 grain bullet in my Remington 700.

I have been wanting to try the TSX 270's in it, and now you have convinced me for sure!

And again: NICE JOB!

Best Regards,

Jim

Nice TSX souvenir Dan...the interior grizzly I shot last September with the same combination collapsed on the spot...my bullet exited the far side.

Again, nice job on the rifle...let us know how it shoots.