Thread: Iliamna copper river float

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Default Iliamna copper river float

Has anyone floated the copper river. The one that flows into Iliamna lake.
    I know that rainbow king has floated it for years but they have a deal with the natives. I would like to float it I have property in kokanok bay and have fished the mouth on a caterraft that was great.
    Its not a long float and the rainbow fishing is realy good.
    I was just wondering what the deal is with the natives.

My understanding is you can raft/canoe/kayak any navigable river in Alaska. You just have to camp below mean high water marks along the way if it goes through private/native land allotments. Which is where you would camp anyway to minimize your impact on the area. Based on the link below, the Copper River is considered navigable.

http://www.poa.usace.army.mil/reg/NavWat.htm
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

That's a different Copper listed on that page. It's huge and you can indeed generally camp below the high water line, unless the water is high of course. The Copper flowing into Iliamna Lake is smaller. I've never seen it, but I'm not sure you can find a place to camp in it.

Find out which village or corporation claims the land and contact them about a day or trip tresspass fee. This will allow you to get above high water mark to do your business. I don't know who has the land use fees for the Copper you wish but give the village of Igiugig a call 533-3211, they may be able to steer you right. Good Luck and we expect a report.

George

Happy New Year

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Thanks for the replys.
    I have fished the mouth where it flows lake Iliamna and ive fished the outlet of the upper lake and it was great fishing at both places. I have flown down the river and it is chucked full of salmon. Ive seen three or four rafts floating down it.
    Dose anyone know anyone in kokanok. I think the same native corp has the land on the gerbralter also Ive been ran off that river a few times
    by rainbow king I think they pay for all the fishing rights to both the gerbralter and the copper.
    I will also call the number to igiugig,

I floated it many years ago (30) It was a good trip. Iliamna Air Taxi could probably give you the information you need. It did require a 3/8 mile portage to get our gear from the lake to the river.