Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kifaru Gunbearer

Default Kifaru Gunbearer

Anyone use the Kifaru Gunbearer?

Default Kifaru Gun Bearer

LuJon, I have used it since 2003 on my Longhunter pack. I absolutely love it! I have never had the strap come undone, fall off, drop my rifle etc...My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that the barrel of my rifle hits the bill of my cap occasionally. No big deal. The placement of the rifle takes a bit of getting used to, but having both hands free and the gun easily accessible is great. I have used it with .375s, 30-06s, and T/C Encore Muzzleloaders and it works equally well on all.

I just bought a Barneys Pack, and I need to see if the Gun Bearer will work with that. According to Kifaru's web site, it should work with other brands of packs. I'll order it in the next week or 2 and see. I do not like not being able to get to the rifle quickly. On most packs, the built in rifle carrier sucks as far as getting to it quickly.

I live here in Anchorage if you want to get a closer look.

I will have too agree with moose44,it's a great system.just wish the pack worked out a little better.....

absolutely the best product of it's kind.
    but when you fall head over heels on a goat hunt the barrel strap will break... but kifaru sent me a replacement free...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I use one with my MR Nice frame. Works great!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Must have

Been using one for the last 10 years. A must have in my book!!!

Troy

Man, I guess I'm the only one, but that thing looks ANNOYING!!! I cant imagine having a rifle scope up your armpit like that for a hike up in sheep country. Haven't used it, but for now I'm sticking with it on the pack, not the (what appears to be) waistband...

I used one last year on my Osprey internal frame pack while sheep hunting. I think it is a good product. I liked it because I was able to use walking sticks and yet have my rifle available for immediate use if I needed it. It is adjustable enough that you don't have to wear it like the guy in the ad. I wore my mine a little farther out and it didn't interfere with arm movement at all. My only complaint with it was its tendency to allow the rifle to wack me upside the head if I got a little carried away when traveling downhill. I'll definitely have it on my pack this season.

I don't mind having my rifle strapped on the pack when I am up above treeline. I don't know that I would use it in the AK range or in the brooks but man hunting the Talkeetnas, Chugach, Kenai, and Wrangles I think it might be just the ticket at least for climbing through the super thick alder mass from 1K-2500K feet.
    You know like these...

I also sometimes whack my dang rifle barrel with my woodmans pal trying to hack my way throuhg and I think the gunbearer may eliminate that. I treat my guns like the tools that they are but I don't care to mar the finish needlessly.

The other issue for me is I don't carry a sidearm so I have been going basically unarmed while chopping my way up the mountains..... generally following bear trails...

I bought one with both the large and small waist belt straps.. I never could get it comfortable for me. If you want to try it out let me know... If you like you we can work something out.. : )

Default bow

what about with a bow? I have the longhunter with the gunbearer/bowbearer - does the bowbearer work as well as the gunbearer? Too cold for me to backpack right now!

Default sheep man

Sheep Man - what happened to your pack?

Does the infamous Longhunter SUCK for alaska? I am skeptical about the pack but haven't put it to the test YET..... There seem to be some pretty small straps - that if they fail - the failure would be catestrophic.......

Yea i love it on flat ground...I start walking uphill and i like to have my arms free and it seems to get in the way. WHen im going uphill i strap it to the back of the pack.

i've had clients with the gunbeared and i'm thinking its annoying i have a hook on the side of my barney pack and it holds my gun great, outa my way, lower than normal so its outa the brush, less its super thick, i can get to it faster than the gunbeared and it dont' hit me in the face or tap on my binos if i'm trying to glass and its simple....
    the long hunter pack...my last sheep client had one, worked pretty good. But after he shot his sheep i went back got his pack and emptied it and took both packs over to the sheep. But i couldn't find the secret pocket that he had his extra two boxes of ammo in....he laughed when i said that...turns out the pack is just outrageously heavy compared my barney pack...i won't be buying a longhunter or gunbearer anytime soon. glad its working for some guys though, but its not for me.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I have been using the GunBearer for 3 years and really like it. It takes some adjusting and getting used to but I really like having my rifle handily available as opposed to strapped to my pack. I stumbled right into a rooting a grizzly (like 30 yards) a few years ago while hiking up a raging creek sheep hunting, with the wind at my disadvantage, and had that bear done the wrong thing we would have been in a bad situation the way our rifles were strapped to our packs. The next year I started looking for another pack option for my rifle and thats when I discovered the GunBearer. Its worked great for me.

Default packin sheep

I don't think that I will take the bag with me when I am packing sheep with the longhunter - just the frame..the pack bag does seem pretty heavy.

guess that I will have to see.........

Default RE: Gunbearer

I bought the gunbearer and the shelf this past summer and rigged it to a Dwight Shuh Mega pack that I use. I don't use the gunbearer as it is intended, I didn't like it that way. But, I rigged it to the frame of the Mega pack as a standard gun holder and I really like it. I can reach behind and have it off in a second, plus I can move and adjust it to accomodate a short 742 carbine or my 300wm.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJCootie View Post
    I bought the gunbearer and the shelf this past summer and rigged it to a Dwight Shuh Mega pack that I use. I don't use the gunbearer as it is intended, I didn't like it that way. But, I rigged it to the frame of the Mega pack as a standard gun holder and I really like it. I can reach behind and have it off in a second, plus I can move and adjust it to accomodate a short 742 carbine or my 300wm.
    Any chance you can snap a pic and post it? That would be great.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Any chance you can snap a pic and post it? That would be great.
    No problem, give me a couple of hours to figure this out though

Default Pics (I hope)

If this worked here are the pics of the gun bearer attached to my Dwight Shuh. If I want to remove the gun quickly I just reach up and pull on that black strap and that releases the buckle very qucikly and the gun fall forward into my hand, but yet is always behind me out of the way. And of course I can adjust for different length rifles.

steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast