Thread: Supplies

Default Supplies

Is there any good places besides sportsmans in town that stock, muzzle loaders and supplies? havn't seen much around town..

I bought my first muzzleloader this last weekend and want to buy a few things...

Quote Originally Posted by AKSean View Post
    Is there any good places besides sportsmans in town that stock, muzzle loaders and supplies? havn't seen much around town..

I bought my first muzzleloader this last weekend and want to buy a few things...
    Can't help you with Anchorage, Sean, other than to say that Great Northern stocks Goex real black powder and "some" supplies, according to accounts I've heard. I encourage your search though. The only way we're going to get more stores to stock it is to go in and keep asking for it. I order some stuff from local stores, even though I could get it faster and cheaper on the web. According to one sporting goods store owner I talked to: "Why should we stock it when everyone is buying on the web?" Only way to counter that is to order from them anyway.

Great Northern has a decent selection of stuff. Mostly for .45, 50, 54. Ive pretty much been to all the other stores. Nada!

Back on the hunt again and sportmans has very little, I am looking for powder and possably a kit rifle, went to sportsmans to buy the great plains kit and there service has sucked 3 times in a row so I give up on them.... anyone up to place a group order on some supplies from out of state?

I took the muzzleloader class on may 2nd and there was a forum member named "Forestman" who was trying to put together a powder order because he couldnt find anything around town either. Hit him up to see if he has sent it out, you might be able to get in on it and not have to run all over town looking anymore.

Finding shooting supplies or anything muzzleloader related seems to be really difficult. I've had to order most things that I want. Can't find #11 caps recently, which is a problem, without much solution.

I found a few tins of old caps at Great Northern Guns a few weeks back, but about 1/2 of them are no good. Can't find roundballs currently, though, so I'm at a standstill. I'm about ready to start casting my own, but don't know where to find pure lead.

If you want to buy "virgin" lead, you can get it in 5 pound ingots from plumbing supply stores. Otherwise check the recycling places and scrounge. For best luck with round balls you want pure lead. The "thumbnail" test is good enough to test for pure. If you can easily scratch it with your thumbnail, it's soft enough for round balls. I also recycle my lead, taping my target to a 5 gallon bucket lined on inside with a piece of truck innertube and filled with sand. The balls don't even go half way through, and you can sift the sand for the lead afterwards. No measure of anything, but large caliber balls hold up better than small in the sand and you recover a higher percentage of the lead.

I'm not sure what's going on with any cap shortage. I buy them by the 1k when I find them, and haven't bought for a couple of years. Since I go through 1500 to 2000 a year, I try to keep a min of 5k on hand. Ask the guys in the store. Even if their stock is low, if you are willing to buy 1k (10 tins), they'll usually order them in pretty quick for you.

I'm on the road right now and so far have stopped in 3 Cabelas stores and 3 Sportsmans Warehouses around the west. It's really variable what kind of supplies you find in each. I special order a lot of stuff through my favorite store at home, in order to keep the supplies up on their radar. Otherwise, I order online. Hate to do it, but if you can't get something locally you have to go where it is.

Default stuff found

Sportsmans warhouse in Anchorage has Pyrodex, 777 poweder and pellets allong with an o.k. selection of bullets if anyone is interested.

Try the Nor'west trading company in Fairbanks. Swanny is a blackpowder distributor and has a good supply. He has a web site too.

Went to sportsmans today and picked up the last can of Black horn 209, nothing else there, lol

Quote Originally Posted by AKSean View Post
    Went to sportsmans today and picked up the last can of Black horn 209, nothing else there, lol
    When I was traveling last month I had the chance to visit three SW in different western states, along with two Cabelas. Supplies were highly variable between them. It would appear there was either more latitude in ordering from one SW to the next, or else local demand varied. Each of the three, in fact each of the five, was out of something, and one was as bare as they appear to be up here.