Thread: Pedal Power Yak

Default Pedal Power Yak

I was over at Maui (wife made me go) and observered some young people using a Hobie Cat Mirage Tandem pedal power (kayak?).
    It seemed to handle real sweet going out through some low surf and looked pretty stable in the open water with 2 people aboard and moved right along. They were fishing and diving from it. I looked it over and talked to em and they said they loved it.
    I checked with the rental outfits and they said they don`t use em cuz they always come back broken. I read some reviews and most seemed favorable except in shallow water and with only one occupant.

I`m a pretty big guy 265# with most of my bulk above the water line and always felt a little uneasy padling. There is not a dealer anywhere near me to try one out. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience they could share on these rigs

Default Never used one

i have seen a few of these for sale on craigslist over in Hawaii.
    So i know someone over there is a dealer, but here in Alaska, I dunno.
    Hobbie is a quality brand and it shows in the prices.
    When someone owns something, they tend to take care of it, alot better than a rental.
    but for the most part, most people have respect for your equipment, and take care of it, but when it comes to moving parts, it can and sometimes will fail.
    I would imagine that hobbie has spent some time in getting a dependable product out to customers, and it should really work fine. its in there best interest to do that , as warranty repair work is expensive not only the labor and parts, but the reputation of having a quality product.
    Shipping to Alaska is a bit expensive, so find a dealer in the lower 48 near someone you know that is driving up this summer and have them bring it.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years.

Seward, AK

If you get one you should check out the Hobie Island. It not only has the mirage drive (pedals and flippers system) but a nice sized sail too, and outriggers! If you find a reasonable way to get it up here I'll order one too! Man that would be sweet tooling around Resurrection Bay in that - especially under sail.