Thread: The table is set ring the bell!!

Default The table is set ring the bell!!

Man I can't wait for this cold snap to get over with, cuz I know that there is going to be some hungry critters out there!! We've been having -38-48 below since sunday now, and I'm starting to get come down with yote fever I think. I've heard there really is no cure and once settled in the bloodstream it's game over. Whats the weather looking like for everyone else?

Mike

www.granitemoutaingamebirds.com

Default Weather

Mike, we've been having -30 to -40 on the other side of the valley hear in nenana. I got the fever bad too! Been all cooped up in the house entertaining for over a week now, I'm about to go nuts! I've been wishing I could get out during this cold snap and try some cold weather calling and give my gear a test. My brother leaves on the second and I will be hitting it hard after that. Good luck.

I was out saturday before it hit and we called two yotes. But again I'm out dealing with these wise cracks. The one was oh out probably 1/4 mile and came off the hill down in to the draw of willows, there was a few ridges between him and us and we waited then tooted a little and nothing. So I let out some female vocals and about a 1/2 mile away another yote sitting on top of the knob and he curled up and layed down and it was -26 out. I'm still trying to figure these buggers out as to how the weather and all but we never did see that other yote, and I'm pretty sure the way he was heading and the way that one came in it was two different ones. I know there are 2-3 in this valley that up until here a few weeks back would never show themselves. We tried to sneak around that one on the knob but he heard us skirting around in the snow and brush I think cuz I watchend him head over the knob back towards where we were calling from. But I threw out this estrus chrip that the females do and that got his attention as the distress sounds he never woke up from his nap but that few chrips got him looking and curious but I think I messed up and gave up and thought I could get closer.........live and learn. So I'm looking into some long range shooting here I think, while it's fun to try to call these wise yote's it's also a pain in the butt and I don't want them educating their next year pups to much before I get a chance at them. I might have to snare them to get them or keep the game going and await my checkmate.

Mike

Default WOW

Sounds awesome Mike. Did you try any rabbit in distress sounds? I've got this one on my e- caller from western rivers I think that starts off with a fox barking and growling then goes to a wood pecker in distress that is particularly pathetic, that may have perked their interest. Just a thought. Sounds like you have a nice area to work.

Shoe

Default All in All

From what I can tell there is a few fox in the area as I've seen two called in one that didn't give much of a shot then the yotes started to howl and I think that scared him. There is at least 3 different packs of 2-3 yotes per pack in this area, and I say this as we were putting a sneak on two then on the way back to the truck heard the other ones that were close before the wolves started howling then they shut up. We drove probably 3-4 miles as a crow flies and called in 3 more, and below that area is where I called in that one and stupid me had my 17 rather than my 250 and didn't get him. So all in all theres some yotes out there to play with and I haven't even ventured further back over the hills yet down to the river or on the other side of the highway, it's just close to people and not everyone goes about things the same way and the end result is this. But I haven't tried night calling out there yet as you mentioned to me in one of my threads and my girlfriend got me that primos spotlight for christmas for my riffle god bless her taking care of her man!!

Mike

Is you're girl going to go with you so she can see how good the light works?

I'm not sure, but she does want to go with me. That 17 I bought I figure she can take, and if she goes with me on the night trips then the 20 guage I got her I think I'll have her bring. She wanted to go with me last saturday but went to fairbanks with her mom and sis as the temp was to cold for her. Plus she told me as long as I didn't wake her up I can come and go night calling all I want......she wants her sleep for work. Since I'm laid off for the season and waiting for my next call to go to work I get to go out while everyone is at work during the week man what a job eh?

Mike