Thread: electric reel for weak right hand?

Question electric reel for weak right hand?

Anyone here have experience with electric reels? I've permanently lost about 50% of my right hand strength and am right handed. If you've used or seen one used, could you post your thoughts here?

I'm wondering if my halibut fishing days are done. I hope not.

Anyone know of a halibut charter where they have electric reels that clients can use?

Thanks.

I have no experience with them, but They cary a prety good stock of them at B&J's commercial in anchorage. They are good about telling you the plus and minus of each.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Bread and Butter charters in whittier uses electric reels. My friends been out with them and confirmed it.

Default Electric Reels

A friend of mine is in the same boat you are. He has two. I don't know what models but they work great. He actually puts the rod in the holder and then hits the button. Its really easy and he can still get his fish. So to answer your question No your halibut days aren't over. Swing into BJ's and talk to them they will get you set up. Hope this helps
    KLICKMAN

I used to run 6 Miya electric reels out of Valdez. I stopped using them except when people had medical problems. There are a few problems with the reels. The first is they are heavier than a normal reel. Second they are noisey. It is harder to hook fish as you do not have good control. The electra mate uses a pen reel and usually is the cheapest. I see where Diawa is making some new light electric reels. Best place I have seen to buy the reels is Ebay. A good friend of mine is missing 1 arm and 1 leg and does good using the reel. On the Miya you just press a button. You can auto up or wind it up by holding the button. What ever you close good luck and good fishing.

I say you do it the redneck way! Take the handle off of an old Penn and put your cordless drill on her. Works every time. But, I am serious note, do what the previous posters said

I keep 4 Krystal kite reels aboard the Can Can - big, heavy, cumbersome to say the least. It's the only way I've found effective to fish sablefish in 2000'...

While we're on the topic, has everyone put in their comments to the BoF regarding the need for electric reels? There are another round of proposals to prohibit their use up for consideration this year.

If the proposal authors all get their way, we'll be giving up our electric or gas pot pullers, electric fishing reels, and even manual and electric downriggers!

Happy Fishing! (I think I'll take my sport fishing rig to Oregon this year. Halibut stocks may be in short supply, but at least the albacore are coming in and I can use proper gear!)

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default nuts

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    I keep 4 Krystal kite reels aboard the Can Can - big, heavy, cumbersome to say the least. It's the only way I've found effective to fish sablefish in 2000'...

While we're on the topic, has everyone put in their comments to the BoF regarding the need for electric reels? There are another round of proposals to prohibit their use up for consideration this year.

If the proposal authors all get their way, we'll be giving up our electric or gas pot pullers, electric fishing reels, and even manual and electric downriggers!

Happy Fishing! (I think I'll take my sport fishing rig to Oregon this year. Halibut stocks may be in short supply, but at least the albacore are coming in and I can use proper gear!)

-Case
    Thats nuts, and even nutsier if those new things would apply to one with a disability.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the commercial fishing industry has just a little too much pull these days? I doubt anyone is lobbying to take away all of their mechanized help to bring home fish.... hey, now there's a thought...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Thats nuts, and even nutsier if those new things would apply to one with a disability.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the commercial fishing industry has just a little too much pull these days? I doubt anyone is lobbying to take away all of their mechanized help to bring home fish.... hey, now there's a thought...
    Personally, having worked commercial and charter sides to the industry, and being an avid sportsman who volunteers time with the management organizations, I've seen and heard all sides to the debate. I agree that commercial fishing is pretty well getting anything it wants these days. Some of that is the fault of poor management, some is the result of management set up initially with commercial interests at the core, and some of it is the result of the other user groups not standing up for their rights or what they want soon enough.

Sorry to hijack the thread with my political opinions. Back to the question... yes, I have 4 electric reels and love them for sablefish and prospecting new (deep) areas for rockfish and halibut. I'm much more likely to drop a line to see what's in an area if I know I won't be cranking line for 2 hours just to check bait.

I've found the "feel" or "sensitivity" on the electrics to be the same as with a traditional reel. The one tip I'll give is to use some of the new "super-braid" line that doesn't stretch. Then jigging is just as easy and delicate as usual, and you can feel even the slightest of nibbles - even at 2000'...!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]