Thread: Can you shoot....

Default Can you shoot....

Can you shoot a 460 or 500 without the compensator in? Does it hurt anything? or mess with accuracy? I have seen post where people say with the compensator it could harm you ears if needed to shoot without ear protection. Is it that much more severe with it in?

Yes it can be shot without it, but you won’t see me do it! Any revolver will damage your ears, even a .22, without protection. Any sound over 100db will do in your eardrums according to the AMA, and impulse sound is the worst. A hammer on a 2X4 is about 120db, and any revolver I have ever shot without protection has made my ears ring. Now I would never shoot any 460 at an indoor range for two reasons, one the shock wave would be like a flash-bang grenade, and two is that they will kick you out of all the ranges I know of for it. Most of the back stops won’t take it since they are more like a rifle round than a handgun round. Outside, with muffs or Walkers game ears on it's not bad at all to me.

At 43 years old and been around guns all my life I am more deaf than I wish I was, I don't shoot at all (even hunting) without some kind of ear protection any more. With all the great options we have now no one should shoot without ear protection, it's not worth it.

Andy

Shooting the 500 or especially the 460 without hearing protection and with the muzzle device will be very damaging to your ears. I think your question is can you shoot it with out the device (with or with out ear protection is of no consequence) yes it will hurt your ears without it also it is a high velocity magnum revolver. What you want to know is can someone shoot the gun without the recoil reducing muzzle compensator. Yes the gun will work fine without the compensator, it will most likely hurrt the shooter, furthermore, I will pay $100 American dollars to video the event. When do you want to do this?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have done it with a 454 in my 460V, take way more than $100 before I shoot a 460 without compensator!!

I did it with a .45lc and then a 454 to see what help the compensator is. With it on there is little difference between a 454 and 45, without it look out! I think due to the lower pressure of the 45 the compensator does not do much, but with the outrageous pressure in the 454 the compensator comes to life.
    Andy

Default bring it over

I have shot both the 500 and the460 without the compensators and while pretty ferocious they wont harm you if you hold onto them. Back before S&W came out with the survival kit snubbies my buddy had the comp cut off of his 4'' to make it a 3'' because he didnt like the added noise it is a 500 and its not to much worse than before. Interestingly enough after we cut it down for him he asked the S&W reps at the SHOT show why they didnt build a model without the comp to which they replied that it wasnt possible that it would have too much torque to hold onto, and lo and behold the next year they brought out the short bbl ones with no comp. So bring your guns to Anchortown with the nastiest ammo you can find, dont forget the video cameras and the 100 bill and I'll shoot them.
    Aint skeered just young and dumb

I don't know how recoil will effect the large frame S&W's but have heard about a lot of the X frames returned for repair.
    I know heavy recoil is what damages guns like the 29.
    I believe I would leave the compensator on just to reduce force on the gun itself.

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies. I got the answer I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by bear_slayer87 View Post
    I have shot both the 500 and the460 without the compensators and while pretty ferocious they wont harm you if you hold onto them. Back before S&W came out with the survival kit snubbies my buddy had the comp cut off of his 4'' to make it a 3'' because he didnt like the added noise it is a 500 and its not to much worse than before. Interestingly enough after we cut it down for him he asked the S&W reps at the SHOT show why they didnt build a model without the comp to which they replied that it wasnt possible that it would have too much torque to hold onto, and lo and behold the next year they brought out the short bbl ones with no comp. So bring your guns to Anchortown with the nastiest ammo you can find, dont forget the video cameras and the 100 bill and I'll shoot them.
    Aint skeered just young and dumb

You'da man! I've have seen it done also, I won't try it but i shoot 475LB's and 454's without any muzzle device. The longer the barrel the worse the recoil the 460 may be worse than the 500. I've seen two guys shoot their 500's without the device. At my request. One did well the otehr guy...ah...wasn't ready.

I am serious I would like to get a good video of a strong arm shooting an usheathed 500 S&W or a 460. Yeah, the money is still up. Lets wait til this heat wave is over, if your hands get sweaty your grip could slip.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

for $100 I'll do it... i shoot my 454 all the time without a comp. I never liked the idea of having the extra noise coming back at me. I have never had a problem with torque with my 7.5" 454, i cant imagine that the 460 or 500 would be that much different.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.