Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too cold for propane heater?

Default Too cold for propane heater?

I read somewhere that propane heaters don't work below a certain temperature.
    I'd like to get out fishing in the next couple of days but don't want to get out there and find out the propane heater won't work.
    I have a quickfish 3 we use and am thinking it should be gtg since it's usually a tad warmer inside.
    Can someone help me?
    Thanx

Mark

Just last Friday I struggled to get my propane system going in my Quickfish III. It took a while to get the lantern going, then much longer to get Mr. Heater to go without sucking the life out of the lantern and then just going out on it's own accord. It seemed like I spent more time fighting the system than I did fishing.

Next time the propane tank rides to the lake in the cab of the truck.........

Another trick is to carry a thermos or two of hot water to dump over the tank. I have done this with home grill tanks. It might buy you some more, warmer fishing time.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Propane boils from a liquid to a gas at -44 degrees, but as the demerature drops it changes to a gass at a much slower rate. Also as the gas boils off it carries heat with it. Meaning it stops functioning due to the fact it is being used. Believe it or not if you plave the propane botle in one of your ice holes it will warm up to abot 30 degrees and work better.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I hadn't heard of the keep the tank in the water trick....sure makes good sense though. If I ever get the urge to ice fish again I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

ya uh peeing on them works too...ya know if you just wanna freak your buddies out in the ice house...
    Master guide license #212.....now what?!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    I read somewhere that propane heaters don't work below a certain temperature.
    This is basically correct. The boiling point of propane is about -44F. This means that as you approach that temperature, propane is more and more difficult to vaporize into a state where you can burn it. Not unlike gasoline, it is the vapors mixing with oxygen that allow it to burn. Below that temperature, the propane would want to remain a liquid and not give off enough vapors to readily support combustion.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    Propane boils from a liquid to a gas at -44 degrees...
    Ha! Apparently we were typing away at the same time.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I think propane is good until close to -40F. But, if you're just day-tripping it, then your propane bottle likely won't be that cold when you get out there.

-44 at my cabin a few times. My propane lights did work but not untill I put some heat on the bottles. The first time i was in those temps I had a wood stove. The 2nd Mr Toyo was a nice addition
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default That's cold!

-44 huh? Personally, I think that if you are even considering going ice fishing when it is that cold you really need to get your head checked. That is cold, really, really, really cold. Last year I drove through TOK when it was somewhere around -60. Talk about cold. I thought I was going to freeze to death filling the truck up at 3 Bears. Heck it wasn't even really warm inside the truck. I can't imagine waiting for some fish to bite at -44. You guys are hard core

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    -44 huh? Personally, I think that if you are even considering going ice fishing when it is that cold you really need to get your head checked. That is cold, really, really, really cold. Last year I drove through TOK when it was somewhere around -60. Talk about cold. I thought I was going to freeze to death filling the truck up at 3 Bears. Heck it wasn't even really warm inside the truck. I can't imagine waiting for some fish to bite at -44. You guys are hard core

It does not need to be -44. As the propane expands from a liquid to a gas it lowers the temprature of the liquid. It is the same process that makes an air air conditioner work. Have you ever used a spray duster and felt the can get cold. That is what hapens to the propane. I have even seen frost on a bottle in warm weather if you are using it heavily.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. It sounds as if we should be gtg doing the daytrip thing.
    With my 2 kids in tow I need to make it as comfortable as possible otherwise interest wains fast.
    And I'm sure my boy would love to pee on the propane bottle. It's all I can do to stop him from wanting to pee down his ice fishing hole and then wanting to switch holes. That'll happen

Mark

.....I can't imagine waiting for some fish to bite at -44. You guys are hard core
    Heck, we used to walk 20 miles through knee deep snow in -60 temps to ice fish, uphill in both directions.

And in those days, our parents couldn't afford to buy us shoes.

Oh and there is a cure for the propane-cold thingie... use alcohol. You can build an alcohol burner at home on the cheap and pick up a gallon of denatured alcohol at the hardward store to run it down to around -145F. Unlike petroleum-based fuels, the only by products of alcohol combustion are water vapor and carbon dioxide.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Ya forgot to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Heck, we used to walk 20 miles through knee deep snow in -60 temps to ice fish, uphill in both directions.

... that you didn't have a pole but had to use your bare hands.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... that you didn't have a pole but had to use your bare hands.

And had to cut yer hole in 60" of ice with a jack knife!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Well I'll come clean. When it is colder than zero I just park the pickup next to the hole and sit inside. I learned that trick from real Alaskans. I was like, you can do that? Only if you're smart they said. So, there you have it.

Mark

Originally Posted by Mark

Well I'll come clean. When it is colder than zero I just park the pickup next to the hole and sit inside. I learned that trick from real Alaskans. I was like, you can do that? Only if you're smart they said. So, there you have it.
    TR, you must be Catholic (like me) to confess that readily.......

I've fished from the cab of my truck, too, but I can't claim that I'm smart.........I was just cold, wanted to sit on a comfortable seat, and wanted to listen to the radio.............

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    And had to cut yer hole in 60" of ice with a jack knife!!!!
    You had a jack knife......we had to chew through the ice with our teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast