Thread: Suggested footwear

Default Suggested footwear

what are guys/gals using for footwear for ww paddling?
    i usually wear tevas/chacos for day trips and wading/fishing shoes for extended trips. i'm getting into packrafting this summer and am wondering what others do for footwear in IKs and hardshells. thanks for any replies, abel6wt

i like to just go in my socks and undies! the biggest reason for this is you don't have to worrie about getting boat-jacked by any willowbillies. i prefer fruit of the loom because they air dry quickly and don't bog you down when saturated with water. hope this helps.

For inflatable kayaking and rafting I wear the NRS ATB Wetshoe. http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...35&deptid=1169

It has a great sole that protects my feet from rocks, is very warm, and is still easy to get on. Some of their boots are too slow to put on & off, but these are great. They are probably too stiff for hard shell use though.

Default Foot wear

Like Jim and some of you others, we all know that comfort is a priority, but the #1 priority is that you don't get hurt.
    Foot wear in a Kayak is very important, so look for the footwear that will provide the warmth you are going to need if you get wet.
    Here is a pointer I tell all my by scouts..
    You gotta keep your Head and your feet warm.
    those two places are more important than anyother places on your body..
    the feet and head.. If either your head or feet get cold,, you can pile on all the pants and jackets and gloves you want,, you will still be cold.. and possibly get hypothermia,,, even in 50 degree weather you can die from it, so look for protection from cold first, and then make sure they are comfortable..
    My wife has always hate to wear a hat,, she is a beautiful women that is always worried about appearance.. but I have had to get her warm a few times and I first put a good warm hat on her fancy hair head, then I pull her shoes or boots off, put fresh socks on her feet, and put warmer boots or add toe heaters to the ones she has on.. and in short order she stop shivering..
    I think she gets it now..
    she has found stylish hats and great looking footwear that fits the purpose now,,and she is happier the whole time..
    I do not have a brand or style in mind.. go to the stores that sell them and look first at safety ,,, always..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Found something tonight that is interesting. Paddling mukluks. Ironically, made in Tennesee. Look pretty nice. Below is a link. Made by Chota.

http://chotooutdoorgear.net/shop/pro...products_id=49
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default they look nice

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I emailed them the other day to see if they would make me a pair in size 15. Not holding my breath, but I had to ask

Pretty slick looking shoes for the water.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

For those with serious cold tolerance or only brief immersion / on non-total-snowmelt rivers: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...cts_Flow_m.cfm

Very nice for climbing, canyoneering, etc. as part of a river descent.

Iks foot wear is easy, anything that fits tight, has a hard sole, and insulates. I like to wear a wet suit sock form MTI with a sandal. Those shin high shoes shown above or below, look like a good ticket too.
    But since one can capsize, I do not recommend a boot and any loose fitting footwear that can be pulled off your foot during a swim.

Whitewater hard shell is a problem. In creek boats, the above combo works. Plenty of foot room in a Creek boat. But in a play boat, that is not the case. Since one has a drysuit on, it is important to protect the sock of the wetsuit with something.
    Lots of guys wear a wetsuit shoe, basically a sock with a hard sole. Problem with this is wearing out the out side of the heel, or the sole makes the the foot too big to fit comfortably in the boat.One does a lot of rubbing on the outside of the heel in a whitewater kayak. So bam... put a hole in your $50 plus shoe in one season.
    I tend to use the wetsuit sock from MTI, it has a kevlar sole and we have pairs going on 5 seasons with tourist use, and still going strong.
    I carry a pair of sandals behind my seat. That way when I have to scout, I have a good sole to walk on.
    Since one scouts, or carries a lot in whitewater, it is important to have a good non slip sole and a hard sole for walking on tree limbs, rocks, what ever.
    Jim Ak Kayak Academy

Take a look at these boots http://www2.yardiac.com/list_categor...7&promo=google

I have a pair just for working around the lodge when it is wet. Not much for sole support but the neoprene uppers are easy to get on and they are comfortable. Would also make for great camp boots in the low profile.

I know B&J's carries these.

George

I just wear my Crocs and seal Skinz socks