Thread: WACH Report December 29, 2008

Thumbs up WACH Report December 29, 2008

I just returned from Camp today, needed gas and I ran into a friend from Noatak at Crowley. We were both enjoying paying the $236 a drum for gas and trading stories as I have not seen him in about 3 months.

The uasual question arose around hunting and he tells me that he took 5 caribou yesterday about 2 miles out of town. The story is that there are a number of small bands (8-10) between 15-40 animals each hanging around the Noatak area. They were fat and healthy. I also talked with Jim Dau from AF&G and he tells me that almost the entire herd is wintering between Candle and Nome. “This is the largest number of animals I have ever seen on the Seward Peninsula.” Sorry for the poor quote Jim! Interesting that the bou are that far south this early and in such number. Caribou are unpredictable animals!

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue Alaska

Most excellent, aint it!
    Im not the most "worldly" guy around, but I know this place well.
    Its 2 hours ride from Kotz to some HUGE herds.

Candle on the Kiwalik was my home for a few years, and those are some great hunting grounds. Athere has always has been LOTS of Caribou, and plenty of Fur. The first herds show up around Candle after feezeup, following their big noses, moving into the wind. Like you said Unpridictable.....
    Hers a link;
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=game.wah

In the Spring (April/May) they stream back North to go calveing, out across the ice, and along the shore of Kotzebue sound, over mountains like moving rivers....their everywhere!
    Lots of good meat to dry.
    Ever been, Northwestalaska? PM me sometime.

have the bulls lost their head gear yet?
    "Give someone a fish and you will feed them for a day. Show someone how to fish and they will just steal your fishing hole and catch more fish then you. Screw them, let them eat chicken!!"

Gotta remember, this herds range goes from interior alaska, like the Koy. R. to the coast and the Slope to almost the Yukon R. at St. Marys. Large numbers of bou have wintered near the villages of Koyukuk and Galena in the past (the early 90's) as well as the hills between Stebbins/St Mike and the Yukon R.
    Their presence on the Sew. Pen. shouldn't be too much of a surprise. They are unpredictable.
    Most large bulls have, or will soon, shed their antlers by now.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Bulls

The big ones have for the most part. The 3-4 year olds hold on a little longer but only the 2 year olds keep the racks through out the winter. Its funny to see a huge bull with only one side of hid massive rack. His darn head tilts off to one side.

Life is good.

Back to camp and I will talk with you guys after the new years. I will post the cub pics when I return. Lots of happy kids and lots of frost bite!

Walt

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index.cfm?adfg=game.wah

In the Spring (April/May) they stream back North to go calveing, out across the ice, and along the shore of Kotzebue sound, over mountains like moving rivers....their everywhere!
    Lots of good meat to dry.
    Ever been, Northwestalaska? PM me sometime.[/quote]
    I've never been in the northwest, how late in the spring are the Caribou still in that area? My wife and I would like to fly up there and see the herds. Late May is the earlies we could get free, is that too late? Thanks, Tom

Algonqin,
    with an airplane , it is very possible. The herds will be streched tward the North, most likely (But who knows, they are Caribou)go from the Northern Seward pennensula, streaming North, past the Kobuk, into the Noatak and beyond.
    Fly North, I think you will find plenty looking from the air.

Have Fun , Northwestalaska!!

Good luck.