Thread: opinions please

Default opinions please

i went out friday afternoon did some howling for the first time. No coyotes answered but some local dogs up on the hill started to bark and carry on in cordination with my howls. Should i take that as i am doing a decent howl or just making noise?

You must be doing something right, my Labradors just run and hide when I practice. I guess it just does'nt sound like their kind of duck.

Default howler

If the coyotes are around you should get some sort of responce, either some howles or some shill barking depending on how you are howling and what you are saying to them. If you are targetting only coyotes you can probably bet there are not too many around or they are not interested. Be careful howling if you are hunting other critters as howling will scare them and they will not come in. I usually don't howl untill I am at the end of my stand and planing on moving. If I get a responce then I will stay and try to talk them in with a combination of coyote talk and distress calls. Hope this helps.

Shoe

If you would have been calling I think you got busted...Always been told that when a coyote or wolf starts to howl the gigs up!! But i have been out at night and howled alot, and love to listen to the wolves answere me. AWSOME!

Maybe I have been doing everything wrong but cant you howl to locate a yote and then try to coax them in with some distress calls. I understand snowshoe with howling at the end of the stand but cant you do it to locate then setup?

my understanding is there is a whole language for yotes challenge howls inviting howls male female young and old i have seen videos of yotes coming in hard and fast to howls when all they have had thrown at them is distress calls

Default Howling

I use to howl in the lower 48 but have noticed they dont howl as much here. I used it allot and had good sucess.There is a whole science behind it but i use to just let it rip. Also if you dont want to scare anything else away just use a siren they really love that. Maybe the dont howl so they dont get eatin. Hillbilly

Quote Originally Posted by H_I_L_L_B_I_L_L_Y View Post
    I use to howl in the lower 48 but have noticed they dont howl as much here. I used it allot and had good sucess.There is a whole science behind it but i use to just let it rip. Also if you dont want to scare anything else away just use a siren they really love that. Maybe the dont howl so they dont get eatin. Hillbilly
    I used to talk with them in Arizona all the time, but have never heard one up here at all. I'm like you, I think they don't want to tell big brother they are around. I have heard wolfs here, last night in fact, but no yote. They are here as I have seen them in my yard a couple times and tracks often. But they sure don't talk like down south.

Andy

Default ohiotim

Yes you can howl for coyote location and I have done that, and it dose work, as long as coyote is all you are hoping to call in then yes howl for location.

I call like aksnowshoe, howls at the end to see if you can get one to speak up. My main goal is fur and I don't want to run off any foxes or lynx right off the bat. I have noticed that in areas where wolves are pretty non existent the coyotes will speak up. When they are in an area together the coyotes get tight lipped. I have had a coyote start howling only to be shut down with a wolf howl. The rest of the night was silent. In Tennessee they were very vocal but they were in large numbers and didn't have anything else to worry about challenging them.

thank you i guess i will try a distress call then at the end a few howls

Default On the right track

Well it has been my experience that howling works and especially coming up on this time of year as only howling with very few distress works as the breeding season is upon us and they are looking for companionship more so than a meal. I also think that if the peoples dogs out there hear ya as they do to me at some spots I go then your doing something right, cuz it's in their nature to howl just like their wild cousins. I'm like everyone else, I start out with a few distress in case theres a fox or cat but if I sit down and glass as I do before I call and see a yote out there I will usually target him as there isn't as many fox and they are the reason. But also I didn't see anyone else mention this is I called in yotes and they came in all quiet and sneaky without me knowing they were around with the exception of the one where a squirrel gave him away, so listen to the ears and eyes in the trees. They won't always howl back at ya, they do come in to check things out quietly and I wonder if this isn't cuz they are hunting in the other yotes territory and don't want to let them know he is tresspassing don't know kinda my therory,and also the amount of calling pressure from other people. If everyone howls then they get shots off or howl worng they will link that to danger and be more cautious in their response on coming in. This is what I've learned and kinda think is going on. Good luck

Mike

www.granitemoutaingamebirds.com

Default Sound thinking

I agree with you on this Mike. I took a coyote a couple of months ago, and when I called him in it was a double. I only took the one because the river was in poor shape and I didn't want to risk crossing to get a yote on the far side so I let it go. I went back to the same spot a few days latter to see if I could get the other one. Sure enough I called her in and she was within 50 yards of me before I saw her. She saw me move and the game was up. She set up in the thick stuff 150 yards away and barked at me for 45 min. until I finally gave up. So ya, they will definitely come in unannounced. I do agree with using the eyes and ears of the forest, they hear all see all and tell all!

A couple of the areas that I call are around dog yards. I kind of noticed that when I am getting a lot of coyote response, the dogs in those yards will not make a peep, like they know they are around and are kind of scared. At other times when I howl from the same place they will go nuts. Just some of my observations.

Also one more note on the yotes, the barking non stop is like you said snowshoe,the game is over and they are letting everything within ear shot know it to. If your calling out there and all you get is a barking over and over with very few high pitched howls thats it mine as well leave the area they are on to you, but this might take a few outings to learn this but the challenge howl is somewhat simliar but with fewer barks and longer sharper howls than the games over howl. When you hear them bark a couple of times and then go to a high to mid tone howl depending on the yote ( female, pup, old male, ) is of course the different tone but thats challenge howl and they usually kick off with that when they answer ya. Then just copy them back and get them to move to you.

Mike

www.granitemoutaingamebirds.com

Default good stuff

These are the same results that I have been having mike. Also when they are on the move to you I have noticed that they will be quiet while traveling. Give a howl or a bark and they will stop and respond letting you know there progress and how close they are getting. Super cool, gets the blood a pumping and ready to make the kill!!

Default Barking

Barking is the gig is up. this ussually is the case but on two different hunts i kiyied(yote in distress)and had both dogs come at a dead run. Its only happened twice but something to try when you think its time to pack it in.

I haven't had them run on in on me but usually after a series of howls off and on....nothing I'll let out the KIYI and man the place lights up it seems. I wish they would run right on in. I hope though here I'll be able to pull them in with my new call "B I T C H Talk" not sure if it will get bleeped out or not, but the female vocals I'm hoping for it to be my ace in the hole.