Thread: Soup stock

Default Soup stock

I like soup. It's one of my favorite comfort foods, especially homemade chicken/turkey soup. This one little recipe is a way I honor the memory of my grandmother who started me on the path to enjoying cooking.

I use store-bought and bullion all the time but I like making my own stock. The holiday season usually means lot's of turkey carcasses headed for the garbage...what a shame, so much wasted flavor!

Anyway here's my (Gramma Smith's) stock recipe.
    1 leftover turkey
    Strip the meat from the carcass and set aside
    Break all the big & long bones to expose the marrow (I use a cleaver)
    Throw all the bones, cartiledge, skin and bits of hard, dry meat into a big stock pot (I prefer 16 or 20 Qt)
    Add to that:
    1 large onion, 2 large carrots, 6 cloves garlic --halved
    1/3 bunch of celery (top 1/3 with leaves)
    1 Tbsp salt
    1 tsp whole peppercorns
    1/2 tsp each rosemary/celery seed/thyme
    2 bay leaves

Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer
    Simmer uncovered until liquid reduces by about half
    Turn off heat and let cool from hot to warm
    Strain liquid and skim off fat. If you want, you can usually find tender bits of meat by picking through the solids.

The mushy skin and cartiledge goes to the pup! (In my house anyway)

You can make a batch of soup right there or pack the stock in plastic containers and freeze it for later.

p.s. If you want to make beef stock most stores sell beef bones, or for moose/caribou stock save some of the bones from your next hunt, (leg and ribs work best) lay the bones in a roasting pan, brush with oil, lightly season with salt & pepper and roast them at 325 for 90 minutes then make stock as above.

Oops forgot the water.

After you get all the stuff in the pot, fill with water leaving about two inches clearance.