Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Moose

Default Nice Moose

Jim Rae was guiding moose this Fall for a client from Berlin who paid $20,000 for the expedition with Outfitters in the NorthWest Territories and he got his money's worth. The hunter bagged a massive bull moose, probasbly about seven yerars old. For you hunters it is 258' Boone and Crockett points. What does that mean? It is thought to be the 7th largest in the world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice(!) moose

Very impressive. Did you catch the spread on the rack?

so this was shot in the northwest territories? That is a huge moose.

No mention of the spread, it was sent to me by another member. Looks 68-71, wild guess??

Default only 7th!!

...maybe for another 5 grand he would have gotten one in the top 5.

Thats a pig in anyones book.....

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Thats a pig in anyones book.....
    No doubt sheep man! Thanks for posting DEDWUF...

Smile WOW!

Yes Nice would be an understatement! I would say Dammmmmnnnn!

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default I'd rather...

hunt moose alone for the rest of my life and never score, than pay upwards of $20,000. for one. CRAZY. Look at those prices.

Hey, this was a "guided" hunt. Shouldn't we be criticizing this guy? After all, he isn't a "true" hunter, is he?
    I'm confused!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Once the BOG has it's way...

this is what AK will be like. Non Residents, get ready to open your pocketbooks. Twenty grand will likely be nothing in the near future. It's nothing against guides, I've stated before that I think all nonresidents should need a guide for moose. It's against the obvious attempt to TAKE THROUGH REGULATION in direct violation of the COMMERCE CLAUSE, and therefore limit competition. Competition is the only thing keeping prices where they are right now. For you residents that are drooling for this type of restriction on nonresidents; get ready too. I know good folks that live in NW Canada. If they don't own their own plane and want to make their own strips they aint gonna hunt!! They have to draw for a big bull tag, while nonresident get them over the counter. All the flight providers are deathly loyal to the guides and forget getting anyone to fly you in. They claim all the old strips and build cabins next to them. They hold all the cards with the Crown and nonresidents get first shot at all the best tags. I've seen it first hand. Yes the hunting is better for those willing to pay, but it's too European for me. I quit hunting Canada because of this stuff. If AK ever becomes Canada, I might as well start hunting there again. It's closer for me. Or maybe Russia?

Ya,

No matter what the price, that still is a NICE animal. I hope to live to see one 80% that size.....Hats off with a humble smile....

Ron

Nice moose, have one in the garage that is close to that, ( no room in the house for it), But the palm's are wider than mine. It like that one I shot has 6 brow on one side and 5 on the other, 13 other on each side. It was 4' from the bottom to the top, shot it when I was 13, 1st moose It was 64" ( should go take a pic, of it and put it on here,) Should let ya know tho, It was hanging on the outside of a cabin for 20 year's before I had it mounted, and it shrank 7" both ways

that is a beautiful animal, i hope to see one half that size next year. WOW!!!

Default Size of horns

Reading these posts reminded me of a cartoon joke in Field & stream.
    Certainly no offense intended.
    A barber in Wyoming had a nice mount of a 15" Antelope in the shop. In comes a hunter from back east. Nice lope he says, but I got a bigger one last week.
    The next year the barber kills a hog, 16.5 inches and has it mounted. Again, this guy comes in and says pretty nice but my buddy shot a bigger one. So the barber talks to the taxidermist and asked what's the world record Antelope? Oh, something like 18". Great, can you make fake horns about 21"? Sure, well you guessed it. in came a guy........

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
    .......For you residents that are drooling for this type of restriction on nonresidents; get ready too. I know good folks that live in NW Canada. If they don't own their own plane and want to make their own strips they aint gonna hunt!! They have to draw for a big bull tag, while nonresident get them over the counter. All the flight providers are deathly loyal to the guides and forget getting anyone to fly you in. They claim all the old strips and build cabins next to them. They hold all the cards with the Crown and nonresidents get first shot at all the best tags. I've seen it first hand. Yes the hunting is better for those willing to pay, but it's too European for me. I quit hunting Canada because of this stuff.......
    I really hope the folks here are reading what you're writing. The majority of residents are all for guide requirements, thinking it will reduce the moose hunting pressure and make it easier for them.

.....If AK ever becomes Canada, I might as well start hunting there again. It's closer for me......
    Now I really hope the guides and BOG members are reading that.

Default $20,000

$20,000 Canadian dollars = $11,611.4 Euro

$20,000 Euro (EUD) = $34,448.9 Canadian dollar (CAD)

If it wasn't $20,000 USA dollars, did the client come out better than the guide or visa-versa??

And, $20,000 Canadian Dollars is $16,325 U.S. Dollars...

$20,000 USD is $24,491 Canadian.

Still a lot of coin no matter how you look at it!
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default Canadian outfits...

rotate their monetary requirement based upon the rise and fall of their own dollar. When the Canadian dollar is on par or above the US dollar, they want Loonies. When their dollar sags, they want greenbacks. It's perfect...for them. I really didn't mean anything against guides in that post. I DO think guides should be required for nonresident moose hunters. It's tough because competition means worse hunting, but it means more hunting opportunity. AK has walked a fine line for a long time. It needs to find good ways to continue keeping the hunting accessible to nonresidents. Canada is insane. The hunting is great , but unless your wealthy, forget it. The BOG is trying diligently to limit competition so that a few sourdoughs can run the entire industry. I am an assistant guide so I get the latest changes. They all point in one direction. Exclusive GUA's and unrealistic hurdles for new guides. We'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast