Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tikka t3 lite

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Default tikka t3 lite

I am planning on buying a Tikka T3 Lite in a lefthanded action for a future hunt for grizzly. I want to get it in .338 cal..How bad should I expect the recoil to be?? Can it be lessened with the limbsaver??

Default Either another make/model or another caliber!!

I almost when down this road as well. Although it was a right hand version of that gun. However, after hearing horror stories and then going out and shooting a buddy of mine's .338 in a T3 Lite I decided against it, and kept my Ruger M77 in .338. I wanted a lightweight gun for a decent price for sheep hunting and or grizz should the oppoturnity arise. I ended up with the T3 Lite in 300 WM. Recoil is not bad at all with a recoil pad and it is relatively light and wouldn't hesitate to take a grizz with it given the chance. I guess I'm a wimp or I like my shoulder too much to subject myself to the T3 Lite in .338 WM again.

Default great choice!

I have a T3 left hand in 338 federal not as much recoil as your 338 winchester, but yes go with a limbsaver they are great I put one on my wifes 30/06 T3. T3s are great guns! Good hunting!

I have a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM and love it. The recoil is nothing and I wouldn't blink an eye at taken a grizzly with it. It has less recoil than the 300 win mag I shot and ballistics are about the same.

My T3 lite in 7mm Rem Mag kicks about the same as my Ruger Mk II in 338 Win Mag. Both great guns, but I think the Tikka is a little too lite for 338.

I have a tikka t3 lite in .338 win mag. I'm shooting 250 grainers out of it and it kicks like a mule! I put a limb saver on it and it's bearable to shoot now. It is a great gun for the price and have no complaints.

I have a T3 Lite in .30-06 that I'm putting a Limbsaver on.

In .338 Win. Mag. I'd put on a Limbsaver and a rolled up towel.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by ken210 View Post
    I have a tikka t3 lite in .338 win mag. I'm shooting 250 grainers out of it and it kicks like a mule! I put a limb saver on it and it's bearable to shoot now. It is a great gun for the price and have no complaints.
    Thats just it. I don't think that having a rifle that is just "bearable" to shoot is a good thing. Something that you enjoy shooting/comfortable/ and consistent with in a lesser caliber that you can run a box of shells through without flinching on every shot will make you more than likely make you a more effective shooter in the field. And less likely to develop flinching or jerking the trigger from the anticipated recoil to come as a result of pulling the trigger.

That said "bearable" means different things to different people. I put a limbsaver on my .300 WM T3 Lite prior to even touching a round off through it. Sure it kicks a little more than the .308 I was used to, but 20 rounds down the tube in an afternoon and I don't feel any worse for the wear. The same could not be said for the .338 in the T3 Lite, of course recoil effects everyone differently. Good luck with whatever gun you choose.

I just got a Tikka T3 lite in 7 mm mag with a 3x9 Zeiss scope on it which keeps it light and it consistently knocks me off from seeing through the scope after the shot. I never had that problem with my 30-06. I always was able to see the dear react to the shot. I would look to see if the tail would tuck between his legs which would never need a follow up shot or if the tail went up, hit him again. (which thankfully I never had to do)

That being said after shooting 10 rounds through it breaking in the barrel it felt tame enough. First shot placement is allways the key.

Have you checked out the Tikka T3 Laminated? A little more money but you get 1 1/4 pounds of weight and man does she ever feel sweet!

I know this is not a .338, but perhaps this might help.

Like others, i have the T3 Lite Stainless in 7mmRM, and without a Limsaver it was no fun at all shooting. Couldn't imagine shooting one in .338WM, well at least putting 10 rounds through it at the range. Tried one in 300WM, took one shot, and said no thanks. For what its worth, i'm a big guy too, 6'7" and 230lbs, so i have some weight behind it. Having said that, its my go to Sheep gun with a 6x42 scope on it, Crazy light.
    Having looked in the stock, i imagine a guy could add weight to it to help tame the recoil some. There are lots of cut out spaces in there.
    If it was me, i would get an A-bolt synthetic stocker in .338WM, a bit more weight to take out the oomph.

I couldn't effectively shoot my T3Lite in 300 Win Mag (7.5 lb loaded) with 200 gr High Energy ammo without the Limbsaver. It does make a huge positive difference. Met a guy with a .338 version at the range who said he had to have a muzzlebrake to make his manageable. Pretty loud; wouldn't want to shoot it without hearing protection.

Default Lite

I too have a 30-06 T3 Lite S/S with a 3-9x42mm scope. Right at 7.5# , it wasn't as much fun to shoot as many of my other rifles of heavier weights. Especially with heavy bullets !
    The addition of a Limbsaver made the recoil less of an issue; but I still wouldn't want to spend several long range sessions with this rifle only.
    Since I use this rifle for my basic lighter game and hunt in GMU 20 (mostly), I choose to use 150 gr Accubonds as a standard load for this rifle. The lighter 150gr bullet gives a 20-25% reduction in both recoil and recoil speed, while bullet performance is acceptable.
    This being said, I don't believe you would get much use out of or enjoy a T3 in 338 Win Mag (even with a Limbsaver), especially if you use it as a platform to launch heavier projectiles, over 220 grns; That's where the 338 WM shines and really performs.
    ASK a friend to meet you at the range and shoot theirs FIRST, even if it's a 300 WM with 200grn bullets; You'll get some idea !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Tikka T-3 in 338 WM

I own or have worked with several Tikka's in various calibers - Side note: the most universally accurate "out of the box" firearms I have ever dealt with (and I have worked with quite a bunch)

While the Tikka in 338 will bite you a bit remember that you carry the gun alot more than you shoot it ! At the range use a pillow, jacket, shooting bag, whatever and then HUNT - you never "feel" the shots at game anyway - One drawback though, if you handload, the magazine length limits you on bullet seating - Another thing ... don't plan on dropping one in the chamber on short notice ! carry an extra LOADED clip in your pocket (might be a good idea to paint the clips orange too) Within their "limitations" Tikkas are a fine firearm, especially when you consider how light AND accurate they are (I magnaported one and it worked alot better) Limbsaver recoil pad? ABSOLUTELY !!

I am not in AK (wish I was) and have not had to think "bear" but for our elk hunting in the NW mountains I really like the Nosler Accubond 225 - FYI - I moly coat mine - BTW - STAINLESS !!

I also use a PAST shoulder pad when I shoot it as well. I enjoy shooting it. I could easily shoot a box of ammo through it but will I? Probably not with the cost of ammo now a days. But when I first got the rifle I was done after about 5 shots. But now with the limb saver and past pad at the range I could shoot and not worry about flinching from the pain.

I want to add that I was using 140 and 150 grain bullets when I shot my 10 rounds. I would also like to add that I was VERY careful to seat the butt of the rifle into my shoulder good and firmly. It seams to help a lot.

I love the Tikka T3 lite.......................in 270 WSM

Default I love my

tikka t3 in .300wsm. Simply an awesome rifle. My 11 and 12 year old daughters shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    tikka t3 in .300wsm. Simply an awesome rifle. My 11 and 12 year old daughters shoot it.
    Northway, while I understand where you're going with that statement since your daughters shoot it it must not kick that bad, I'll just say I feel that sometimes the younger, smaller, more flexible you are the less the recoil will bother you. I'm 6'2'' 265 lbs. but that doesn't mean recoil doesn't affect me. A good friend of mine who can handle ANY recoil it seems stands just under six feet and probably weighs a whopping 160 lbs. soaking wet. It just doesn't bother him as much.

Huge difference between letting one off, and spending a few hours at the range messing about
    I don't look forward to putting 20 rounds through the T3 in 7mmRM

Default girls shooting or smaller people,

you are right about that. It does have a little kick to it, but nothing where they flinch at. I usually always have them on shooting sticks also. We spend a lot of time shooting .22's and .17hmr. I am the one that shoots it at the range, they shoot it at the animals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast