Thread: Reloading for a Ruger Alaskan .454 What powder

Default Reloading for a Ruger Alaskan .454 What powder

I just bought a Ruger Alaskan in .454 and am going to start reloading. What powder have you had the best results with being it has such a short barrel? Thanks for your help!

H110 and Lil-Gun are the two with the most data I have found. Good luck finding any powder right now in Alaska! We are going to put a group order togather next week or so, if you want in shout out.

Andy

Shorter barrels have less of an effect on velocity than you might expect. All other things being equal, a shorter barrel will certainly result in slightly less velocity than a longer barrel. However, it's a common misconception that slower, magnum pistol powders will not give max velocity in short barreled guns because the shorter barrel doesn't allow for complete powder burn. That's just not the case.

The reality is that the slow burners still give max velocity in short barrels, but do result in a bit more muzzle flash and blast. If I had a .454 Ruger Alaskan, I'd stick with the standard powders--W296, H110 Lil' Gun, AA9, 2400.

Mike

I got good results with Blue Dot in the .454 Alaskan I had, as well as in the .44 Alaskan that I have currently.

Default .454 loads

I have had good results using Lilgun in loads using bullets of 260grain and heavier , I use blue dot for most of my loads with bullets lighter than that ! I am currently working on a load using 255 grain cast hard lead bullets from Hunters supply and AA#9 ! It should be a nice easy load in the SRH about 1300fps !