Thread: El Cheapo electronic caller

Default El Cheapo electronic caller

I made the el-cheapo electronic caller referenced on Varmint Al's page varmintal.com, it's awesome. I'll be taking it out New Year's Day.

KRS

Here is a pic from that website. My camera is MIA but it looks exactly the same.

KRS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails el-cheapo.jpg  

Default Good for you!!

Congrats. on getting you're caller together. I've been weighting to post pics of mine until I had time to paint it but since you started another "El-cheapo" thread, I'll go a head and throw them up even though it's not painted. You can see my super cheap mp3 player hanging on the clasp in the first pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my e-caller.jpg   my e-caller4.jpg  

Default couple more pics

Some more pics of my e-caller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my e-caller3.jpg   my e-caller2.jpg  

I made one like the second one the other night, I made it though by sealing the speaker into the cooler and then put velcor on the back of the amp and inside of cooler so it will stay in there and then keep the ipod inside so it will stay warm when its outside for battery life. I didn't put a switch on mine, I also painted mine white and my girlfriend did a camo job for me, I'll post some pics later.

Awesome.

I've entered into a small and distinctive club of homemade electronic caller makers.

I forgot to mention that I used 3:1 adhesive lined shrink tubing when splicing the cables so the soldered connection was waterproof.

I never thought of the thermos idea; I don't think it gets that cold here.

KRS

Default Insulated water jug

I like this the best because you can throw hand warmers in the jug and keep the amp warm on those -30 days!! Also I hollowed out the flip up drinking straw so you can flip it up and down over the power switch and the led, It keeps the amp from accidentally getting turned on and dumping the juice in the batt. Also it covers the led so it is not so bright for night calling.

Nice to see some one from out of state on here. Happy new year!

Shoe

Default My finished E-caller

It's functional but I might try to add wireless to it later and add in the switch too. I just got the Stevens it's a .223 topped with a 3x9x40 Bushnell that was my grandfathers that he gave me on his last hunt up here in Alaska.

Default Cool

Sounds like you're about all set, now just gotta get out there! I want to go wireless with mine too, Just gotta heal up from some of the financial Christmas wounds first.

aksnowshoe~ glad to see your caller is up and running. I hope you get as much amusement practicing as arrowslinger did. When he first found all these sites a year ago, I was awakened at 3am SEVERAL times to duck, rabbit, etc calls for weeks on end. Once you guys from here started asking about the links, it started all over again. If you have a wife, gf, etc., I hope you give her ear plugs! That was something arrowslinger failed to give me. (nothing like waking up to your husband mixing sounds that sound like the dogs are dying ) Good luck on your many adventures. The caller looks great.
    P.S. Jon says to tell you that he is working on your sequences but I have limited him to 9am thru 10pm. You'll get them soon.
    Ramona

Default Jonsgirl

You got me laughing pretty hard with that last post! You definitely have a sympathizer in our house, maybe more, the dog the cat two boys and most definitely my wife! I ALWAYS plug in the ear phones if I'm playing with sounds when my sweet heart is home. Tell John thanks for working on that for me, and a special thanks to you for you're patience! HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours!

Shoe

Well I'm glad to hear that there is one gentleman in the bunch. Jon however believes that if you use headphones, the sounds just don't sound right. To quote him I believe you have to have the speakers turned up all the way, bass at maximum setting, and the pc control on 10 otherwise the fine high pitches and deflections are not heard. Enough to wake the dead and put me in a really foul mood when I have to go to work at 5am. By the way, Jon says he would like to meet up with you and his friend in Fairbanks for a calling session. Please, give me a weeks notice as I would like to purchase my ear plugs for the all night pre-calling practice sessions. Unlike Jon, I work for a living. (actually he works ocasionally and then sits on AOD the other 99.8%) Have a great New Year! Hope you guys get warmer weather soon.I hear you are holding off calling until than. I can only imagine how cold your backside is as mine is frozen at -20.

Ramona