Thread: Renters

Default Renters

Just received my Privat Pilot Cert and now looking for renters insurance, any recommendations?

Default Congrats

First Congrats on your private ticket. Your private ticket is a license to learn, and rental insurance makes sense and is like 1000$ dollars a year. Call Avemco, they seem to be the cheepest around. Make sure when you rent that you can access all the runways you plan to land at, alot of the companies dont allow you to land on gravel strips. Again, congrats

Terry

Default Thanks

Someone mentioned Avemco as well as AOPA, Ill try calling tomorrow

Default Aopa

AOPA does not provide coverage in Alaska, Only two I've found is London avaition underwriters and Avemco. Avemco had the best price for me.

Terry

Default Renter's Insurance

I use Falcon Insurance 830-257-1000. I'm not sure if they cover in Alaska. You could call them. For my CFI and using a rental aircraft I pay $350.00 for $35,000 in hull liability. Then I add on Limits of Liability (for injury) for $100,000.00 each passenger and $500,000.00 each occurrence. That costs $500.00 for a total of $850.00

Obviously you need to choose what you need. I remember when renter's insurance wasn't an issue, but now everybody is lawsuit happy and insurance companys will subrogate. So if the owner has insurance and you damage the airplane the owner's insurance company will go after the pilot (subrogation) and that's when the pilot needs renter's insurance.

I know some CFI's say screw the insurance companys and don't carry any on their own planes for rental or instruction. Those CFI's say there's not a a court in the land that will take my house away from me if I'm sued. I think that's a gamble.

Anyway, good luck and congratulations on you ticket to learn. John