Thread: 35 whelen or 375 ruger?

Default 35 whelen or 375 ruger?

Thinking of getting a new barrel for my pro hunter from match grade machine, I have caliber narrowed down to 35 whelen or 375 ruger. This rifle will be used as an all purpose rifle for up north here, maybe even as backup guideing from time to time. I have never used either caliber. Thoughts??

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Thinking of getting a new barrel for my pro hunter from match grade machine, I have caliber narrowed down to 35 whelen or 375 ruger. This rifle will be used as an all purpose rifle for up north here, maybe even as backup guideing from time to time. I have never used either caliber. Thoughts??
    The 35 wouldn't be my first pick for coastal brown bear bear hunts, but then again, the 375 wouldn't be my first pick for deer moose or elk. Kind of an either or in my book. If I was sure I wanted to hunt coastal bear with the gun someday, I'd go for the 375. If it was general purpose for everything but the bears, I'd go with the 35.

In my own life my 358 Winnies probably get a lot more use than my 375 H&H's, but that may reflect my activities more than yours.

Since we're talking grizzlies in the Yukon & not costal browns I would think either would be fine. I love the 35s
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

How about a 375 H&H?

Ron

Default 358 winchester

Brownbear no wont be hunting the coastal bears anytime soon. I love the 358 winchester too, dont have one at present but do have a 338 federal, thats why i was thinking of a 375 or 35 whelan. That being said because of the way I travel guideing and trapping I see the pro hunter becoming my main rifle as then all I have to do is carry an extra barrel. Do you think the 35 whelen would be any better than a 358 winchester? I have a 243 barrel on my thompson now that is great for wolves ect. and plan to get one more in one of these calibers, that way i have a do all gun that is highly portable for those tiny supercub flights! Thanks

I have a 375 Ruger alaskan. Seeing how money is tight for me and the way things are going.....any who..I did a load of research and the 375 ruger came out on top...I am not a person who goes with new rounds at all..but with this rifle and the hogue stock fit me just about on the nickle..the shorter barrel is great! the balance is pretty good and the recoil? well its not sharp but a big push and time to the second shot is alot faster than I would have thought. Ballistics wise it meets the H&H or close enough..and for me the ammo price is more in line for me than the H&H..plus factory ammo out of my rifle is just fine...it likes the 300,s a bit more than the 270,s..
    my.02 c-ya

I love my .35 Whelen. A 225gr TSX at 2700fps will hurt a lot of things!

Thumbs up .35 Whelen..........

I know several Alaskans who use and like the .35 Whelen. A good 250 grain .35 caliber bullet at 2,500 fps mv is a very good big game "critter getter". Most rifles can be chambered for it in a fairly light gun that will usually hold 5 in the magazine. The old 30-06 case is a good one that is made even better for big stuff when it is necked up to .35 caliber.

i own 3 whelen's......remington cdl, sako/obermeyer, and remington/douglas. they all shoot great, and are easy to load for. with the barnes 200gr bullet velocities run just over 2800 fps, (which is .338 ballistics), and it a very accurate.

modest powder consumption, common and available brass, good bullet variety and real knockdown power make the .35whelen an excellent choice.

i have taken 7 elk with one of the rifles, and have NEVER found it lacking.

good luck with your choice!

happy trails.
    jh

To my thinking the 338 replaces both of the other two so I would look at something in the 30 cal area.

Who are you guiding for?

Do you think the 35 whelen would be any better than a 358 winchester?
    The Whelen does give a little more velocity across the board, but the bigger question is whether or not it's significant. For me it's not. Handling details on my three 358's suit me so much better than the Whelens I've owned, I have just never hung onto the Whelens. When I find one that I really like the handling on, I'll probably keep it, but not because I think the ballistics are significantly "better" for game.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a Savage 99 nut, and no long action round is ever going to measure up simply because it can't be had in a 99. And my 358 bolt gun fits me so well, I'd have to spend a whole lot more than I ever have on a Whelen to get the same kind of fit and handling. Always had better ways to spend that much money than chasing 100-200 fps. And my Winnie 88 in 358? I just think it's a cool action, though it never gets shot as much as the other two.

Default 375 Ruger pressure

I was interested in the T/C barrel they originally advertised for the Pro Hunter in .375 Ruger. When it became apparent I was not going to find one easily, I called T/C and was told they had to abandon that caliber as the pressures were to high for the action. I don't know if it was a problem with their standard Pro Encore barrel profile, or the action itself. I seem to remember it was the action.

I don't know who might be building a custom barrel in 375 Ruger, but you might want to investigate with T/C and your custom builder whether the pressure problem has been resolved, or perhaps the custom guy has a different solution.

So, for now, I have augmented my T/C Pro Hunter in .338 Federal with a Ruger #1 in .375 Ruger. Sometimes you just gotta find a different solution...

Chris

either calibers assuredly will suffice fine, I don't know how tough animals have gotten in the last yrs. but I suspect they have not evolved a kevlar hair fiber.....yet. The .375 will give you a better selection of bullets that are built tougher than I believe common to the .35's, not saying the .35 won't kill as well nor do I or have used in the past or current a .35 caliber of any kind.

I would opt for the .375-bullet selection is moot betwixt the two but weighs in favor for the .375 caliber. There is no such thing as over dead or killed too much

Default 358

BrwnBr thanks minds made up 358 it is. Yukoner Ceaser Lake

With size being an issue for you, let me bend your mind a little bit with this. With a weight of 6.5 pounds and a 20" barrel, I can't imagine anything handier. It's available in stainless too, I believe.

Default browning

Brownbear the last 358 i had was a BLR (not the takedown) I bought it new, it was extremely accurate but i had nothing but trouble with it not shooting. It came to a head on a mountainside fall before last, I bumped a sow at close range and couldnt open the lever, sow took off so everthing was ok, but sold the rifle later. The only thing i could figure was the tolerances in the action were so tight that unless you kept it super clean it would bind up. half the time you would pull the trigger it wouldnt shoot, if you pulled back the hammer and shot again it would normaly shoot then. I know of 2 other BLRs that did the same thing, the older ones were much better, but still not a 99!

Brownbear the last 358 i had was a BLR (not the takedown) I bought it new, it was extremely accurate but i had nothing but trouble with it not shooting. It came to a head on a mountainside fall before last, I bumped a sow at close range and couldnt open the lever, sow took off so everthing was ok, but sold the rifle later. The only thing i could figure was the tolerances in the action were so tight that unless you kept it super clean it would bind up. half the time you would pull the trigger it wouldnt shoot, if you pulled back the hammer and shot again it would normaly shoot then. I know of 2 other BLRs that did the same thing, the older ones were much better, but still not a 99!
    Hadn't heard about anything like that, but good to know even if it kinda cools my jets a little. I had been getting reved up for one in 325, but now I'm rethinking. A buddy has a 99 he built up in 375/284 wildcat long ago, and he's indicated he might part with it if I'd let go a safe queen of my own. You just moved that project up a notch. Thanks, I think!

Nice country over there, us Whitehorse guys don't get over that way much.