Thread: Slide scanners?

Default Slide scanners?

Anyone point me in the right direction for a high res scanner so that i can convert all my boxes of old slides into digital files?
    Thanks

Default Yes

I have the Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 5000 ED.

I've been real happy with it. Does an outstanding job of consistently scanning slides. Currently selling for about $1100
    Slow, software is a bit clunky, but it trudges right along.

If you have LOTs of slides, I would recommend spending the extra $400 on the slide feeder.
    Loading one slide, letting it do it's thing so you can start over -- well, can be time consuming.

It comes with a single slide feeder.
    It also comes with a negative feeder that can process a strip of negatives that are 6 images deep.

Just a note:
    For a single pass, single sample of a slide, expect the scan to take about 3 minutes. And the image will be about 16mb in size (TIFF)
    For an 8 pass, multi sample, ICE, etc it will take about 5-6 minutes, and be about 64mb in size (TIFF).

Go to Amazon.COM and read the reviews on this scanner, most of them were pretty much spot on.

Good luck! Hope you find something to meet your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    I have the Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 5000 ED.

I've been real happy with it. Does an outstanding job of consistently scanning slides. Currently selling for about $1100
    Slow, software is a bit clunky, but it trudges right along.

If you have LOTs of slides, I would recommend spending the extra $400 on the slide feeder.
    Loading one slide, letting it do it's thing so you can start over -- well, can be time consuming.

It comes with a single slide feeder.
    It also comes with a negative feeder that can process a strip of negatives that are 6 images deep.

Just a note:
    For a single pass, single sample of a slide, expect the scan to take about 3 minutes. And the image will be about 16mb in size (TIFF)
    For an 8 pass, multi sample, ICE, etc it will take about 5-6 minutes, and be about 64mb in size (TIFF).

Go to Amazon.COM and read the reviews on this scanner, most of them were pretty much spot on.

Good luck! Hope you find something to meet your needs.
    Stogey,

One of the best scanning software, and one that does not cost very much, is VueScan. Search for it on the Internet, and read the reviews from professionals. I discarded the software that came with my Epson V700 scanner, and am using VueScan. This scanner came with Silverfast, but VueScan is much easier to use, and gives you a lot of control on the scans.

Here you go (try it first and see what you think):
    http://www.hamrick.com/