Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rex Trail Moose Trip

Thumbs up Rex Trail Moose Trip

We just completed a Moose hunt off of the Rex Trail and would like to share some information to anyone interested in that hunt. We saw close to 20 cows and 6 bulls in the five days we hunted. We hunted south of 7-mile lake up in the hills. There is a trail that heads toward the mountains at the lake but is posted no tresspassing. The trail may and most likely qualifies as a perscriptive easement. It has been used for years to access the mountains. The locals post signs to keep others out. The trail cuts through about 300 yds of private property and is easy going all the way to the Rex dome. If you choose to bypass the short stretch that may be in question there are two other access routes if you are interested. The country up there is worth the trip. You can see for miles and ride for miles on good hard ground. A 4 wheeler can get there in about 2 hours from the Clear Sky Lodge or the Rochester Lodge. We had a sheep tag but saw no Rams, only Ewes and lambs. If interested in more info let me know.

Default Rex trail

Is that a 50" area? How do you get too Crear sky Lodge?

Thanks

Jeff

North Pole
    Alaska

Yes, it is a 50" area. The Clear Sky lodge and the Rochester lodge are on the Parks highway, mile 280. You can park at the Rochester Lodge right at the trail head for a small fee, I'm not sure about Clear sky lodge. We have never had anything happen to our vehicles while parked there.

Default Rex Dome

Where is 7 mile lake compared to the first lake you come to with cabins and the barbed wire fence? There is also a no trespassing sign right before lake, on a hard trail heading toward cabins.
    Thanks, Riverlover

The first lake is 7 mile lake. The Rex trail has grown wider and wider over the years so they post signs to keep you from the lake. The trail goes through the south part of there property. On the south side they own very little land, only a small strip.

Here is a airial photo of 7-mile lake and the trail.
    http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v...style=h&lvl=14
    The Rex Trail runs East to West and the trail that goes over the mountains runs south from the lake.

PM sent

Talking Other access

I had for gotten to mention the other point of access. I have received several pm's on that. The other access route is from the new big powerline. Take the powerline south from the Rex trail until it ends at a steep bluff. Go back about 50 yds and the trail up is marked with a small piece of orange ribbon. It heads into the spruce and then turns up the hill where it is not real steep. If you tow a trailer you may have to winch a short distance but if you made it this far you are used to using your winch from the Rex trail.
    Ltsryd

Smile Rex Dome

Did you get a nice bull? Or were you bow hunting also?
    Hope you did well.
    Riverlover

Thanks for increasing the hunting pressure where I'd been hunting somehat undisturbed for years...

Also there are some folks that live out (on Homesteads) there that hunt that area. I get along with them fine, and with the folks who own the cabin and land around the lake. They do kinda resent other folks tearing up their property by making new trails around the mudholes, getting further and further from the Rex each year. Technically the only trails with an easement are the main Rex (not the little offshoots), and the one toward Rex Dome. You might want to contact the property owners before you go tearing through their land on any other trails. Last I talked to 'em a few years back, they didn't want anyone shooting on any of the private land there, which is both sides of the Rex for several hundred yards. sed to be they didn't mind, but some slobs shot toward their cabin, and others shot illegal bulls, so they don't allow it any more. South side of the trail is 50 inch or 4 brow tines; All the bulls I've seen near 50 only had 2 brow tines...watched 'em from 40-75 yards and never could decide if they were 491/2" or 51", so I passed on 'em.

Last time I was there was '01, so things may have changed a bit with the powerline.

If you're gonna go there, keep in mind there are folks who've been hunting there for a long time and the access is through private property.

I was kinda hoping it'd be about the same with little hunting pressure when I'm back next year, but I guess we'll just have a little more company.

Welcome to the real world, there aren't to many areas accessed by 4 wheelers that stay secret anymore. I know, I have several area's that I hunt with my quad that are getting more and more hunters every year, it's the nature of the beast. By the way, the Rex is no secret spot, i've known about it since '89 and have never hunted there because it is so heavily hunted. I have to agree with you about the private land thing though, people need to show more respect to others property or they could eventually lose access to it, I wouldn't blame the property owers one bit if they posted the whole deal.

I agree with respecting private property. What I don't agree with is when a legal trail is posted "No Tresspassing" by area locals in an effort to keep other residents out of an area. If we are to respect private property than post what is truly private and not a legal access. That only creates distrust and makes the land owner look bad. Stay on the trail until on State land and then they have no say.
    I can understand someone trying to keep others out. The best way to do that is purchase a large tract of property. If that is not in the budget than be prepared to share our public resource with others.
    Wheelers have changed the shape of Alaska hunting forever.

I agree that public land is just that...public; and everyone is entitled to access. However, I don't have to like it when someone posts specific directions to an area that had previously received less hunting pressure than most other ATV accessible places. I'd prefer letting others discover it for themselves, either through friends, or by exploring on their own.

I did find a public place north of Fairbanks a few years back, where someone who'd been hunting there for years actually camped in the middle of the trail, and told others they couldn't hunt there...becoming somewhat threatening. That kind of behavior is unacceptable. I thought about posting messages with directions to his "private" hunting area, he irritated me so bad, but I decided against it, although I wouldn't mind that jackass having lots of company!

Unhappy Rex Trail

Went in on the 19th hunted the last 5 days two cows one 36 inch bull. All we saw was other hunters 20 plus guys on wheelers, track rigs. We met three guys on the way in that only stayed one night and got disgusted and left. Lots of wolves heard them every day. We had guys hunting the swamp not 100 yrds behind the camp, we were 0.5 miles off the main trail between the two rivers. Trip out was a mud bath all the traffic had tore the trail up. Cross this spot off the list!

Oh, and I know the Rex isn't a "secret spot", by any stretch of the imagination, but certain offshoots don't get as much pressure. Those can be productive areas, and those who know of them don't generally advertise them to the world.

Evening Folks,
    New member here, and what a great read on the rex, Itsryd. Man i got to get back there. Not a week goes by where i dont think of those great hunting trips. Anyone else ever take the rex all the way to the wood river.

dennymac,
    Welcome, I also am a new member. The furthest I have made it is just before Japan Hills. It is always an adventure on that trail. Some years I curse myself and some years, (not many), I find it easy. To be able to explore so many miles is sure a lot of fun.

Default Rex Trail

I have been back all the way to the wood river and it is not that bad once the ground freezes, but I can't imagine what it is like now with all the rain we have had this year. I am heading there on the 20th so we shall see. If anyone has made it to past the second river I am curious how nasty it really was to get that far.

Default Motorized Mayhem

The Rex trail has been used and mainly abused for at least twenty years. I did so myself, beginning in 1987. It is known best for getting stuck, endless wenching, mud, poor behavior, rain, loud cursing, and few, if any, legal moose.

Wink I like wenches

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    The Rex trail has been used and mainly abused for at least twenty years. I did so myself, beginning in 1987. It is known best for getting stuck, endless wenching, mud, poor behavior, rain, loud cursing, and few, if any, legal moose.
    I had never planned on going there, but now that I hear about the "endless wenching", count me in. I like wenches!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast