Thread: Tetra gun oil

Talking Tetra gun oil

As sick as it might sound, took the AR out this morning at -19 after making sure all the oil was wiped out of bolt assembly, charging handle, and trigger assembly. I left the gun out for about an hour and then shot it. I had multiple malfuntions which cleared easily and had one jam that required going back inside to clear the empty brass. I then lubed up all the moving parts again with Tetra oil then set the rifle back outside for an hour. Then I ran through two twenty rounds magazines without proplems. Something to do on a cold day.

It sure beats break free in cold temps.
    I tried arctic synthetic brake fluid a couple times. That works too.
    Around 40 below, kerosene works as a lube.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Talking Question

Where can you buy the Tetra oil. Been looking for a good cold weather oil so will have to try it out. Have been told that the Penn fishing reel oil works good to, but have not tried it.

Great stuff, That is all I have ever used on all of my guns or anything that needs oiled. It can be found at most of the Gun shops in town. Sportsman Warehouse, Great Northern Guns, Mt. View Sports.

I liked Tetra until I found Eezox. Goes on wet, then dries. I have found nothing better in the cold of the Interior. Mt. View is the only place I have found it so far. If I was out of Eezox I would still use the Tetra though.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I can't find any here in Homer. So I ned to try ordering some on the internet
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up Tetra......

I have used Tetra for many years. Good stuff. I have not done any real cold weather hunting in quite a long time and there may be better stuff out for that application. When I started hunting it was with a Springfield 30-06. I remember shooting at a Nelchina caribou one winter back in the 60's. It was -30. When I pulled the trigger nothing happened. I looked at the gun and could see the firing pin slowly moving forward, and I mean slowly. So since that day I have been a little "gun shy" of any oil on any moving parts of a gun, if it is well below freezing. I think Gator Guns in Kenai sells it. I don't miss cold weather hunts!

Well, I mentioned this in the other oil thread, but I bought some of that Otis dry lube yesterday.

I ran it all over the bcg on my ar to see how it holds up. I honestly wouldnt use it on stressed parts. Give it a bit and it dries to about the same slickness as triflow. Was an idea though.

Fairbanks SW carries tetra oil though. Gonna pick some up tonight.

which tetra oil are you talking about, the tri lube or the gun oil? I see both listed. Thanks Tom

Default Tetra oil

a few years back I was working with a 7mm/300win mag wildcat that was giving me pressure fits with an extremely accurate load - popping primers, sticky cases, you know the drill
    Tried Tetra Oil for the first time, had to add 1 1/2 grains to the load to get my FPS back ! Never had any kind of pressure signs again and I have been using the stuff ever since - Tetra has made my life 1000% easier (where guns are concerned anyway) and I will never change

use the oil and be sure to shake it up good before hand