Thread: Running Caribou

Default Running Caribou

One thing about "Down time", Im gettingto read alot on the computer while I await a brainbox for my 600Rmk.
    X-mas, and a good supply of Caribou and fish, as well as the freeze box more than 1/2 full, I must say, the last week and 1/2 have been a true vacation, and I went no where.
    Almost all my kids were home, 'cept the younger son, and we had some good holidays.

Heres some pix from last spring. These were taken by the wife, when she had gone back and gotten the kids, moving up river to our Salmon Camp, where I was setting up.
    They stopped for fresh water and got the jump on about 50 Caribou, who were taking a cooling down on a nearby snowbank.The kids ran down the bank, running among them as they were trying like crazy to escape the kids.

My oldest son caught one, and cut it in half, and brought it unskinned (Sand is everywhere), bringing me fresh tounge for lunch.....Mmmmmm Kids, bedding, tools and nets, all in one load.

Default not smart...

Spring Caribou? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by troutfag View Post
    Spring Caribou? Hmm...
    Trying to figure out what you are refering to here?

Thumbs up Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    My oldest son caught one, and cut it in half, ....., bringing me fresh tounge for lunch.....Mmmmmm
    That's a good son!
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

I titled it "running Caribou" because the kids were doing that with them.....LOL!
    This is subsistance hunting.
    The time of year was June, so I guess that is still Spring. Plenty smart if you want to eat good. In March, the Females fatten, but by May, they have calfs, so we huntthe leaner but better tasting bulls again. They are a bit lean, but that makes for good dryed meat. Marrow bones are big , too this time of year.
    Skins are usless, being full of Warble fly holes ,from the emerging Warble , who was a maggot under the skin all winter.
    We hunt Caribou all year 'round.

Good time to make dryed meat, with 24 hour sun, cool days and no flys out yet.

Great story and pics, thanks for sharing them

Default I apologize...

I apologize for doubting. I didn't know there was subsistence hunting for caribou year round. Sounds like a great tradition.

Were lucky here, To be able to have our Subsitance hunting....first to have alot of Caribou and second, alot of unfenced lands to keep them that way.
    Unit 23 is sparsly populated, and extreamly expensive, like 7.85$ a gallon of gas/Stove oil, and all the things in the store are flown in and priced accordingly.

Being able to Hunt and Fish is extreamly important. I dont mind having meat with every meal...this morning was Whitefish and scrambled eggs (7$ a dozen)
    It gos well with making your own food and stuff and avoing expenses.Being able to hunt feeds you, excersies your body and gives you satisfaction that unmesurable in $$$, besides , theres few jobs, and we want to work.

I'vew taken running bou. Generally from a snogo. Gotta shoot fast. Kinda fun tho. It's a challenge to stay on the snogo and keep up with the bou.
    Same day airborn is legal out here too. Makes for an interesting hunt.
    Oh.............um.............this was "subsistence" hunting!!
    Actually, the state "sport" season is open year round for us residents out here.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Great stuff!

Stranger,

Thanks for posting this; it's great to hear from folks up north, and to hear how things are up there. Do you have more photos you can post?

Also, it might be nice if you have any polar bear hunting photos, or perhaps whaling pics. Are you involved in any of that? I have friends in Barrow, but none of them are involved with whaling there, but I think it's fascinating.

Thanks again-

Keep warm, friend.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I personally do not chuck spears, but I married into a family that does all yaer round. Ice holes to ice floes.....
    Harpoons of all sizes, and some inlaws that can read ice and ocean like a dictionary, giving directions, explanations, teaching and all.
    I take my place as a boat tender, so I'm hunting ocen ducks and Geese, and Char fishing out in the ice floes, while waiting for the guys to come back. I love it.

I sure do have a few good Whales and Bear hunts, but on film, and only a few on prints.

Ill post them.

seal too? My sons catch about 50 a year,Bearded, Harbor, Ring and Ribbon..... so theres plenty of those

I gotta look....
    m looking for an digital action example or two, but I have kept it recent in time frome, from this last year, unless Im showing an example. I have hours and hours on 8mm....
    I cant spell my way outta a paper bag.

So heres an example of my friend Tony, his son Chuck, and my son Jon on our way "Mammoth Hunting", which we do in the ocean shallows off the muck cliffs and so involves getting stuck ALOT!!! The oceans sifting of the muck makes for good combing, standing in and idling along or pushing the boat ...~LOL~ on the way over, we drove through prime Seal Hunting grounds, and you will see a couple that we pass on the ice and swimming. Char up to 20lbs swim out there with the ice, and go up the rivers befor Salmon do.When the ocean ice go's out, the fish come in.

I'll keep looking.

Your right Martentrapper, it actually is a "Sport" season as well, I was just referring to "Why" we hunt them inMay...But I think it is "More Sporting" than Basketball!!!!

I like the "Reindeer herders Method" you speak of. Its Illegal to hunt Caribou with a moving Snowgo in unit 23,now, but herder's culling Reindeer from a herd of Cariboou to sell the meat,still can. Used to be you could driving right up at 35 mph, side by side, and actually touch your barrel to the Neck as you pull the trigger is wild. Th efat ones fall to the back and skinny (Like greyhounds) run to the front and you close in from behind...For a couple seconds you run side by side. From the rear you have sized up the butt, decided it was fat, and since they line up, you dont hit two. Very precise, but it got screwd up by guys who shot from the back of the pack, and went about it all wrong.. Cant do that any more.
    For the last few years we can still "Position" Caribou, which I take as run them tward a hill,(They always head for a hill when they see you comming) zoom away and up the side of the hill and sit and wait for them to catch up...LOL!