Thread: Kodiak Silvers

Default Kodiak Silvers

Hi All, looking to make the trip this fall, any recomendations on outfitters/guides. I have fished the Kenia. Would any of you recomend fishing the road system? I would appreicate any information. I understand slivers on a fly rod is awesome. Thanks Lynn

Default August, 2007...

4 of us fished the Kodiak road system. The limit on the Buskin R was 5 fish and in each stream we visited, we saw a lot of fish. I don't know what's typical, but... I saw a lot of pinks landed, and I saw a lot of new waders, but I did not see many silvers landed on fly gear. Other fishermen, some who'd fished Kodiak for years expressed dismay. We fished the Buskin at the mouth, the Olds, and Pasagshak with successes on the Olds for guys who went to cured roe. I stayed with fly gear, foul-hooked [tears here] one great fish under the bridge on the Olds, and another day hiked down to the mouth of Roslyn Creek, working the lower end most of the day but saw only two silvers there.

So much of fly fishing is timing and persistence making it tough in any 1-day, 4-day, 6-day window to have the best fishing experience. While we were there the local newspaper did run a piece about "lockjaw" in silvers along the road system. At the time, I wondered if the fish on the road system just get hammered so much that most lures held no interest. Don't know. I think ours was not typical for silver fishing in Kodiak. But based on that experience, if I return to Kodiak for silvers I might try to get off the road system. Kodiak, the weather and the people we met were terrific.

Best of luck with your trip.

Thanks 6X I appreciate the feedback. Silvers are on my bucket list and would like the opportunity to fish them in the most incredible country I have ever seen. Thanks again!

Default Road System

I can't vouche personally on the Kodiak silver fishing, but a buddy of mine was working in Kodiak for a few weeks during late August/early September, and he snuck in some fishing along the road system while he was there. He's not a big flyfisher, so spent his time chucking hardware. I do recall hearing from him and others that the silver bite was slow, but he got into some good fishing on the Pasagshak pretty consistently. I think he had a pretty heavy cooler by the time he made it back to Anchorage.

I was working in Kodiak during June, so spent my time occupied with reds. I'll say that the road system waters are pretty easy to fish with a fly rod - open and tree-free by Alaska standards. And Kodiak is definitely an awesome place!

From everything I've heard and read, the silver fishing in Kodiak is supposed to be about as good as it gets in a road accessible area. Hopefully last year was just an oddity - it certainly was regarding the red run in the Buskin. I definitely want to try the silvers out sometime. I've got to say the silvers my buddy caught were some healthy looking fish!
    Last edited by Wyo2AK; 01-20-2010 at 13:13.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thumbs up Give Me a Call

I will be able to help you out or get you started in the right direction.

You will love it in Kodiak.

Little Eagle Lodge has a stream in their yard. Not sure if their receiving clients anymore.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Wyo those are some good looking tanks. Thanks for the feedback everyone and Shawn I will give you a call

Default Memory Makers Guide service

Dake does a great job and will show you a awesome time! Fly fisheman at heart and will do whatever and go wherever it takes to have a good time and get you your fishing experience you want!!

http://www.memorymakersinak.com/

All the fish I found had a major case of lockjaw this year. I think the weather was way too good. there are worse things than it being sunny in kodiak for a week, and the dolly bite was still on.

Mid august in kodiak is the most fun I've ever had pink fishing, think fishing in 2 or 3 foot of water to spooky schools of 100 fish which will only chase a well placed cast.

For silvers I'd say the later is the better.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I would highly recommend the road system unless you have a lot of extra money that you just want to get rid of. The Buskin river gets one of the best silver returns on the island and the last few years the returns have been above average. Yes the fish seemed to have lock-jaw but this was an oddity.
    I have fished side by side with Dake from Memory Makers and he is a good fly fisher and can show you all you need to know on the Road System.
    You can also do a day trip to Saltry with my buddy Shawn to get away from the crowds and to see some great country.
    If this is your first time on the road system and you are not a proficient salmon fly fisherman I would suggest hiring a guide to show you around, what flies to use, and the technique for catching them your first day. This will save time and frustration for the remainder of your trip.
    As for flies, egg sucking leaches and bunny leaches in chartreuse, pink, and purple should get you into the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I would highly recommend the road system unless you have a lot of extra money that you just want to get rid of. The Buskin river gets one of the best silver returns on the island and the last few years the returns have been above average. Yes the fish seemed to have lock-jaw but this was an oddity.

I'd be suprised to see silvers without lock jaw in the buskin, way way too many people fishing for em... I think the trick is get up early and fish the morning tide and hope the seals aren't out chasing them.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

the last two years has been bad for lock jaw. In 2006 It seamed like I could not keep them off my fly. When they raised the limit to five, I got one heck of a workout getting my fish back to the truck.
    In years past I have been fairly successful in hooking silvers on the Buskin but the past two years I feel like I had lost my touch. I did not feel so bad when everyone else lost their touch too
    Lots of fish in the river though and that is always a good sign.