Thread: Metal pins better in brush?

Default Metal pins better in brush?

Does anyone have experience using a bowsight with metal pins?

Impact Archery (Collector NI-150 , Hammerhead 3/NI-153 or Hammerhead 5/NI-155) sight pins are protected in blackened stainless steel tubes.

Default Sword Acu-site also metal...

http://www.swordacu-site.com/products.html

Some of these sites are all-aluminum. Spendy maybe.

I've seen bow sights where the pins were plastic and I could bend them side to side with my finger. I always figured that was asking for trouble if you accidently poked a stick between them. I have a Cobra Sidewinder XL sight and it has metal pins that are fairly sturdy. However, what I've found to be just as important in preventing the pins from breaking is protection of the fiber optics where they feed into the end of each pin. On my sight, each fiber optic thread is exposed and unprotected where it runs from the "wrap area" on the side of the sight to the end of each pin. Those fiber optic threads are fairly delicate. Even with a metal guard around the entire sight, they are very susceptible to being broken if caught on brush. I broke two fibers on one stalk not too long ago. They can be repaired in the field provided you have the correct allen wrench, but it's still a pain. My wife has an Apex sight on her bow. It has thicker plastic pins with a metal sight guard but the fiber optic runs along each pin and is a little more protected.

I'm making the jump to traditional archery this winter where I'll no longer have to worry about protecting fiber optics

Default Apex Gear Nitrus sights...

Shearej, the Apex Nitrus is similar to your description... metal pin/blades but exposed optic fibers. Thanks.

Impact Archery's optic fibers, which I heard about from Cast&Blast are protected. Blackened stainless steel tubes sounds like a good design.

Not sure about the Sword Acu-sites yet.

Default Not that much market for these maybe...

Metal pins with enclosed optic fibers.

I thought that brush-related sight damage might occur frequently, but maybe not? Maybe it isn't much of a problem.

Default Years

Showing some age here but in the past 45 or so years of archery hunting the only pin I have ever broken was an aluminum one. The newer plastics are pretty tough. If I was spending $10,000 on a hunt though, I'd have a replacement and the exact location measured out somehow. BTY, I only use one so splitting the difference would not work.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default An infrequent problem...

but similar I guess to the idea of having a spare riflescope if your needs dictate - such as a scope malfunction could mean the end of the hunt.

In another thread several posters suggested bringing spare gear. As Paul Asman suggested, we could call it a "bow/arrow first aid kit" for problems encountered in the field. For some, a spare bow sight might be worth including. Thanks, Dave.

Default metal vs plastic

Purely unscientific observation, 3 weeks of crawling through the brush (literally) using our bows in ways they were never designed......

I did not break a fiber or a plastic floppy pin on my trophy ridge. My hunting partner bent his 20 yard pin into a neat little circle on the stalk that resulted in his first bull caribou. The bent (not broken) pin wasn't an issue due to the shot being on the far side of 25 yards and shooting at 280fps.

For my money, I'll stick with my floppy plastic pins.... 7 years of abuse and have yet to hurt a pin or a fiber. FWIW, I do carry a presighted identical sight in my "oops" kit.