Thread: Kennebunkport, Maine

Default Kennebunkport, Maine

The wife and I got up to Kennebunkport, Maine the other day. Coastal Maine is a nice place. We made our yearly pilgrimage up to LL Bean headquarters and stopped by the new Cabelas on the way. Dropped over two feet of snow on our first day up there. You guys/gals may be used to it, but that was a lot of snow for this Carolina boy. Thought I would share a few images with you.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Nice shots Dan, makes me homesick! I was born in Kittery, and raised in Dover, just across the border in southern NH. Unless I'm wrong, the shot of the lighthouse is at Nubble Point, in York (aka Cape Neddick Lighthouse). My wife and I spent a lot of time there in our dating days watching the "submarine races" there at the light house, and sometimes waiting for the red light to turn green (which of course, it can't do) .

There's a little snack shack there on Nubble Point that serves the best lobstah rolls, and of course Brown's Ice Cream had the best ice cream in the world - at least IMHO .

Enjoy the East Coast, it's a special (and different) place - especially from a gastronomic perspective! LOT's of places to take special photos too . . especially come fall time.

R,

John

Thumbs up

Beautifule pictures as always

Sierra,

That is the Nubble Light of course. Just a beautiful area. Kittery is nice too. I have spent lots of time in the Kittery Trading Post. Nice outdoors store. Glad you liked the pics. Below is another of the light house and one of South Portland Head Light.

Moose-head,

Glad you liked the images man.

Stunning shots! Very nice indeed. I was born in Limestone, way up north from there. Never seen the coast of maine, I was there this summer for a family reunion in Caribou and did not get a chance to run to the south end, I may have to after seeing those pic's!

Default ???

Man, I finely got your thread to open to be able view the photos ...the forum seems a bit buggy tonight. It took me several tries just to post my latest images.

Anyhoo, really nice shots of an area I have never visited. Would like to someday. Really well done! Makes me hungry for Lobster.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Eddie, you've got to work on that accent or you're gonna stick out like a sore thumb . . it's "lobstah" . . . .

LOL,

John

Great pics Dan, brings back some memories. Makes me hungry for "lobsta" every time I see pics from back east. A friend of mine used to have a few lobster traps setup during the summer. Nothing better than fresh lobster and warm butter....mmmmmmm.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    Eddie, you've got to work on that accent or you're gonna stick out like a sore thumb . . it's "lobstah" . . . .

LOL,

John
    Yes Yes Yes .........LOBSTAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I been ejumuhkated.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

The "lobstah" jokes are funny because they are true. Same goes for car (cah), Bar Harbor (Bahh Hahbaah), etc... These yanks really tear up the letter R. Being from the south, I drag some words out further than they would prefer up here. When talking, I stare at their mouths and they stare at mine. Otherwise, it would be hard to communitcate

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    The "lobstah" jokes are funny because they are true. Same goes for car (cah), Bar Harbor (Bahh Hahbaah), etc... These yanks really tear up the letter R. Being from the south, I drag some words out further than they would prefer up here. When talking, I stare at their mouths and they stare at mine. Otherwise, it would be hard to communitcate
    Dan, if you stop and listen, the only real difference is in the speed that Yankees and "Southeneh's" talk. R's are drawn out both in the North and the South, but they're definitely more drawn out up Nawth. "I'm gonna go have a beah at the bah, but not ti'l aftah I get off mah hawse." And of course, everyone knows that you can't "Pawk yah cah in Hahvahd Yahd, unless of cawse it's a Pawsch."

Don't miss the accent too much (my wife still shows hers when she has a few too many - or talks to her Mother, still back East), but MAN I miss fried scallops at either Newicks or the Weathervane!

R,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    MAN I miss fried scallops

This won't help.....

Sierra or Dan,

What are the multicolor objects used as tree ornaments? Are they floats that identify the owner of "lobstah" traps?

Dan,

Your excellent pictures reinforce one of my "bucket list" items; visit the Maine coast and explore as many lighthouses as possible.

Dobber

Quote Originally Posted by jsdobson View Post
    Sierra or Dan,

What are the multicolor objects used as tree ornaments? Are they floats that identify the owner of "lobstah" traps?

Dan,

Your excellent pictures reinforce one of my "bucket list" items; visit the Maine coast and explore as many lighthouses as possible.

Dobber
    They are indeed float markers for the traps.

I am sure the decorations with lobster traps has humble beginnings, but they really get into it up there now. You can find them in most shops for sale. They are very ornately painterd and what not. Sierra could tell you better, but it appears that they are each very unique in the pattern/colors so you can tell which is which out on the water. I can see where someone throwing out 30-40 pots would have a hard time keeping them seperated from other fisherman. Very neat stuff and camera friendly

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I am sure the decorations with lobster traps has humble beginnings, but they really get into it up there now. You can find them in most shops for sale. They are very ornately painterd and what not. Sierra could tell you better, but it appears that they are each very unique in the pattern/colors so you can tell which is which out on the water. I can see where someone throwing out 30-40 pots would have a hard time keeping them seperated from other fisherman. Very neat stuff and camera friendly
    Some of the bays will have hundreds, if not thousands of traps scattered up and down the cast line - imagine the confusion if your floats were not unique . . .