Thread: When does Crescent Lake Trail/Lake clear of snow?

Default When does Crescent Lake Trail/Lake clear of snow?

My wife and I are planning a trip up (down I guess) early this summer and we were wondering when it is a good time to get up there for some greyling? We wanted to go early June, but are now thinking of sometime about the 20th. Is the snow/ice gone by then? Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch!

Well I woudn't go before it opens to fishing on July 1 if you plan on fishing
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Good point ! I forgot about that. I guess it will be well clear by July 1 though

I'd guess the trail is mostly clear by mid may but yea fishings closed, it'll be fine my July, probably some snow around the lake though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

We did the three mile leg in, mid July and there was just a bit of snow on the slopes. If you go I would plan on staying the night. Beautiful Lake.

That is a beautiful picture you took. All the times I have camped up there it's nearly impossible to row the boat around. I hope you fished your hearts out.

Default June for sure

I have traveled this trail in May and found much snow. This last season ('08) the lake didn't even thaw until early June!

You could travel the trail in May, but just be prepared for any kind of trail conditions, from water running down the trail, to waist deep snow, to soupy mud. There is also significant avalanche danger along the upper parts of this trail through the middle of June. The safest travel during this time is early in the morning and certainly clear of the area by mid/late afternoon.

But, like was already mentioned, Crescent doesn't open for fishing until July 1.

Cheers