Thread: New guy....not new to salmon!!!

Default New guy....not new to salmon!!!

Hey all,

I just found this forum and wanted to say I'm impressed with all the fishing pictures and advice. A little bit about me - I'm 33 years old, and live in Kansas. Before moving here, I lived ten years in southwest Washington State, and did a lot of salmon fishing on the Willapa River. Most of my salmon fishing was done between the ages of 12 and 15 out there, and I was lucky enough to have caught 41 kings in one year when I was 14 years old. I caught my biggest king ever when I was 12 - on September 24, 1987 on the Willapa on a rainy evening. He weighed 61 pounds, 4 ounces, and was 49 inches long. It took me an hour to get him in, with my mom holding onto the back of my life jacket as he tugged our boat around for an hour. Now I live in Kansas and am stuck with catfish LOL - and big whitetail bucks (a good trade off!!) but I miss my salmon fishing. At any rate, I wanted to introduce myself and I hope to someday get to fish for those big kings again! Have a happy and safe new year!

what part of kansas? I lived in Manhattan for 2 years next to K-state.. Welcome to the site

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Welcome to the board

Welcome. That is a very nice king that you caught and would receive a trophy certificate from the State of Alaska (assuming you caught it in Alaska..) except for the Kenai. So to catch a 60+ in Washington is quite an accomplishment.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    what part of kansas? I lived in Manhattan for 2 years next to K-state.. Welcome to the site
    I live in the north-central portion of the state now, I graduated from KSU....

Default Nice!

41 Kings in one year? Pretty awesome especially for 14 years old. I have to say I caught way more kings in Oregon than I have in Alaska. King fishing is very crowded here so I try to stay away from it.
    Sounds like you would fit in very well up here, welcome to this forum.

Default Welcome

...we come in peace41 Kings...that is impressive. Congrats. Glad you found the forum...its priceless. I like eating catfish so Kansas is alright
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Welcome

I was also roaming the banks of the Willapa, as a young man, with my fishing pole during the same time period. I used to spend part of my summer helping out on a dairy farm and beef operation owned by some relatives. I never hit the salmon runs during the right time, but the rainbow and searun cuts provided decent fishing. The Williapa runs right through the farm. Ahh the good old days....

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    41 Kings in one year? Pretty awesome especially for 14 years old. I have to say I caught way more kings in Oregon than I have in Alaska. King fishing is very crowded here so I try to stay away from it.
    Sounds like you would fit in very well up here, welcome to this forum.
    During that year, I caught several saltwaters that ranged between 10-30 lbs, but most of the 41 were freshwater fish that were stacked up in one of my favorite upstream holes waiting for spawn out. I'd throw a rubber egg with red yarn in a current and let it drift down and they'd strike. I also snagged quite a few of those on accident - when I was a kid I thought it was the greatest thing in the world to catch those fish regardless of how they were hooked. Looking back on it, I wish I hadn't accidentally foul-hooked so many. I let almost all the salmon I caught go up in that freshwater hole. I never caught as many salmon in any other year as I did during that one. Those were some good times!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    I was also roaming the banks of the Willapa, as a young man, with my fishing pole during the same time period. I used to spend part of my summer helping out on a dairy farm and beef operation owned by some relatives. I never hit the salmon runs during the right time, but the rainbow and searun cuts provided decent fishing. The Williapa runs right through the farm. Ahh the good old days....
    Coaldust, that's awesome!! I took a trip back to Washington State this summer, my first trip back since I left in the early 90's. I stopped by the Old Willapa boat ramp and reminisced on all the good times. I went upstream to that freshwater hole and remembered all the adventures I had as a kid there. I caught fish until my arms ached, and spent time with my dad whose since passed on. I stopped by the Lebam hatchery too. Nothing had really changed at all, after all these years. It was an amazing moment to experience all of that again!

I grew up in Portland, OR, then moved to Kansas City, Missouri 9 years ago at the age of 21. So I'm not too far from you if you live in central KS. I've commercial fished in Cook Inlet since I was 7 yrs old. Didn't fish from '98-'08, but will start up again next year. Welcome to the forum.

Brian