Thread: Light and powdery

Default Light and powdery

Went snowshoeing; okay went GeoCaching, wore the snowshoes.

The Christmas snow proved to be very light... no floating, sank up my thighs most of the day.

Saturday was a beautiful day to be out and about.

Hope everyone got to get out and about before the cold snaps kicked in!

Have you been snowshoeing for very long? I just got a pair of Tubbs Venture shoes and havent been out yet, the wind out here in the valley is blowing drifts every where but I am going to take an afternoon and go up to Hatchers Pass or somewhere and do some hiking. Any advice?

So did you find any caches?
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Default Sutton

Quote Originally Posted by ak_outdoorsman View Post
    Have you been snowshoeing for very long? I just got a pair of Tubbs Venture shoes and havent been out yet, the wind out here in the valley is blowing drifts every where but I am going to take an afternoon and go up to Hatchers Pass or somewhere and do some hiking. Any advice?
    Just a few years (2001 ish). Have a pair of Atlas - tubbs are nice too!

I've had good fun at Buffalo mine - before the gate was put in over Moose creek.
    So, now, I go in via Sutton towards the mine area. Use the snow machine trails to get some distance - nice packed trails (usually). Then you can venture out a bit - might jump some birds/rabbits, etc.

Anywhere the snow machines run (trails, not so much the high marks)... you're going to find good snow to walk in the shoes until you get used to them. Once you feel comfortable (quarter mile or less), venture into the powder... powder is a bit more complicated, but still pretty negotiable.
    Once you add a few hills, snow laden bushes, etc... then things get a little more sporty.

Ski Poles - they make a huge difference. Help you stabilize, distribute weight when necessary, knock snow off low branches for your buddy who is trailing (at just the right moment you know ).

I haven't ran Hatchers Pass, but I'll bet it's fun!

Have fun!

Default You betcha

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    So did you find any caches?
    I did! We found six while stomping in the snow. Passed by one so we could get to one further out before burning the daylight.

If you are on the Alaska cacher forum... you'll see that my pard for the day busted his 1300th find.

http://geocachealaska.org/

Great excuse to get out of the house and wander around. In three hours we covered some ground, found some hides, and saw some pretty countryside.

See ya!