Thread: military snowshoes

Default military snowshoes

i have several pair of "alaskan trail" snowshoes made for the military during wwll. the ash frames are rounded with a long tail and high turned up front. the rawhide filling is perfect, and the braid is close and tight.

these new shoes are crafted so well that they make some of the factory shoes look like they were made by "indifferent schoolgirls" (quote from old herters catalog). if i knew how to enter a picture of them i would.

i have used these on open trails and they are dandy. the floatation is great, and they glide like skis. anyone have any experience with them?

jh

these are the shoes i mentioned. they track like ski's and float like a dream. a bit long they are perhaps not ideal for the steeps and heavy brush.......but i have used them in both places. also they are QUIET, which is nice for hunting.

happy trails.
    jh

Default Snow Shoes

Would you like to sell a pair?

Or sell two pair?

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Or sell two pair?

i might.......or trade?? just don't know about the shipping part as these are long, and the tips are kinda high. weight isn't a problem, but an "oversize" box through the post office is expensive. i will check with the post office and get some information.

thanks for your replys.
    jh

Default shipping experience...

Two years ago I was caught in the shipping nightmare of trying to get a big pair of snowshoes to AK. It would have cost as much to have them shipped up her as the original purchase price. I tired for weeks to find a cheaper way to get them up here. The solution wasn't easy but in the end if worked out well.

Find someone that is a know shipper with Alaska air cargo. I see that pinehavensredrocket is in Wisconsin. which may be a problem. It actually pretty cheap to air cargo with AKair, about 60 cents per pound when I did it. But finding the known shipper is the hard part. And becoming a known shipper is a headache. One place to look is taxidermist, since there are a lot of people shipping stuff back to have them mounted many taxidermist have known shipper accounts so that they can ship there clients antlers, capes, horns, etc. That is where I found mine. Once its in the system just about anyone can pick it up at the freight office in Anchorage or Fairbanks, or any other Alaska Air cargo office. It just getting it in the door that the hard part.

byrd.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Two years ago I was caught in the shipping nightmare of trying to get a big pair of snowshoes to AK. It would have cost as much to have them shipped up her as the original purchase price. I tired for weeks to find a cheaper way to get them up here. The solution wasn't easy but in the end if worked out well.

Find someone that is a know shipper with Alaska air cargo. I see that pinehavensredrocket is in Wisconsin. which may be a problem. It actually pretty cheap to air cargo with AKair, about 60 cents per pound when I did it. But finding the known shipper is the hard part. And becoming a known shipper is a headache. One place to look is taxidermist, since there are a lot of people shipping stuff back to have them mounted many taxidermist have known shipper accounts so that they can ship there clients antlers, capes, horns, etc. That is where I found mine. Once its in the system just about anyone can pick it up at the freight office in Anchorage or Fairbanks, or any other Alaska Air cargo office. It just getting it in the door that the hard part.

byrd.
    thanks for the tip! i will check that out and see how it works..
    jh

I'm a know shipper however I would have to be there. Where abouts in Wisconsin are you, I have family in Wilton and Tomah as well as a few small towns around there.

Default not be there...

AKFishOn,

I not sure if you have to be there as long as it your account that is used in the shipping. I ship stuff all the time for my employers account and Im not on the list. And I often have it shipped over the phone, someone drops if off and I pay for it over the phone. You just have to call the AKair cargo office you are trying to ship out of. Ive done it a few times, but not for personal stuff. If it was Hazmat they may give you some grief, but snowshoes are pretty safe. I would call the AKaircargo folks and see what they have to say about it. I don't think it a big issue though.

Good luck.

Default I have a pair just like that

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post

these are the shoes i mentioned. they track like ski's and float like a dream. a bit long they are perhaps not ideal for the steeps and heavy brush.......but i have used them in both places. also they are QUIET, which is nice for hunting.

happy trails.
    jh
    They are Air Force surplus, and my dad got them when the US Forest Service ended up with hundreds of pairs in the late 60's. They were going to dump them, so he brought a pair home.

I think the military went to the white aluminum extrusion/mesh snow shoes to replace the wooden and babiche type. The metal ones were actually quite good and nearly indestructible.

I find these snow shoes to be quite awkward in brush, so I use an old Maine trail shoe. They make a good decoration though.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    I'm a know shipper however I would have to be there. Where abouts in Wisconsin are you, I have family in Wilton and Tomah as well as a few small towns around there.

i am about 3 hrs from tomah.........on the map i live about 45 minutes north east of mpls-st paul minnesota, on the st croix river.

jh

Default Military snowshoes

Greetings,
    Wore out a pr. of those trapping. Were given to me by an old Finnlander from N. Minn. Using aluminum ones now but wouldn't mind having another pair or two of the wood ones. If you're interested in selling, I could arrange for a friend to pick em up at your place as he lives in Mpls. Take care................................xtka1

I snowshoe a lot and those are the best for the constantly changing snow conditions when one is out looking for birds or bunnies. They have the right amount of floatation in front of the foot to keep from diving in the deep soft snow. The newer smaller sherpa type maybe better in a narrow range of conditions but for overall these trail shoes are hard to beat. Those look like 10X56 size the 12X56 are too big for me.
    Pete

Just bought a set like that on craigslist for $70 in like new condition. They are not military surplus though. I have used the military ones and I like them.

I have a pair of 60X12 inch native made birch snowshoes. I have never had a better pair for deep powder. In deep powder the biggest sherpas make me sink past my knees. These only go down a few inches.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com