Thread: FOBs and noise - nonissue?

Default FOBs and noise - nonissue?

Ran across an interesting thread on another forum (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...light=fob+rest)

Central questions were whether FOBs are noisy and if so, does it matter?
    Not sure what to make of the experience base on the other forum, but wonder if AK bowhunters agree that - FOBs might make more noise but not in a way anyone has noted to be significant (and therefore the improvement in range/accuracy far outweighs any flight noise)?

Question Noise, Does it Matter?

If FOB's are noisy, I don't think it matters. What does matter is having a well placed shot.

At 30 yards, or 90 feet, the arrow flight is from 0.29 to 0.35 second. This assumes average arrow speed between 270 and 310 fps.

Speed of sound is about 600 mph, or 880 fps, depending on weather conditions. It takes sound about 0.10 second to travel that same distance.

At the maximum, the animal has 0.19 to 0.25 seconds between the time it hears the sound, and the time the arrow hits it. In that amount of time, the animal has to undertand what it is and how it needs to react, and start reacting.

If I am shooting at a moose, which I estimate his top speed is 30 mph, or 44 fps, a moose will cover 11 ft in 0.25 second. Of course, this unrealistically assumes the moose goes from 0 to 44 fps instantaneously. The realilty, the moose may only move a few inches between the time the sounds hit him, and when the arrow hits him.

Whatever sound the FOB creates during flight, I believe, is insignificant. The maximum amount of time delay is from the instant of the release. All of the noise created by the FOB in flight, if any, occurs much later in the arrow flight.

That is my 2 cents.

I just went back to the link, and reviewed what others are saying, see quote below:

"They do make a little noise but most of the noise is directed back at the shooter. I have taken many animals from 20 to 70 yards with fobs and never had any issues with the fob noise. Always remember your bow noise is almost always going to be louder than the vane/fob noise and that will always get to the animal first."

In a nutshell, this is what I said in my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Ran across an interesting thread on another forum (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...light=fob+rest)

Central questions were whether FOBs are noisy and if so, does it matter?
    Not sure what to make of the experience base on the other forum, but wonder if AK bowhunters agree that - FOBs might make more noise but not in a way anyone has noted to be significant (and therefore the improvement in range/accuracy far outweighs any flight noise)?
    There are a lot tests that people have posted on YouTube regarding this issue. Basically they are putting a camera down by the target and shooting blazers and FOBs to see if you can tell the difference without knowing which is being shot.

I did a frame-by-frame look at my moose video shot this year. At 21 yards and looking at me, the moose didn't flinch until the FOB popped off. Probably about the time my shaft stuck in the ground on the opposite side of his chest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KUYzl_lsN8

Have a look for yourself,

Taylor

Default Convincing ...

What BigDaddy said makes sense - that arrow speed and even allowing faster speed for sound (or other factors), the difference is insignificant at bow ranges.
    If I understand correctly:

1. Arrow speed: approx 300 fps (100yds/s) or 30 ft per tenth second.
    2. Sound speed: varies but even at 1,000 fps =100 ft/tenth second

------ARROW------------SOUND------MOOSE REACTION OPPORTUNITY
    Yds--Ft---Time--minus--Secs---- = ----Secs
    10---30--- 0.1-----------0.03----- = ---- 0.07
    20---60--- 0.2-----------0.06----- = ---- 0.14
    30---90--- 0.3-----------0.09----- = ---- 0.21
    40--120--- 0.4----------0.12----- = ---- 0.28
    50--150--- 0.5----------0.15----- = ---- 0.35
    60--180--- 0.6----------0.18----- = ---- 0.42

Is the "moose reaction opportunity" enough time to hear/analyze/recognize/react? Marc's video clip looks like the proof of the pudding to me (along with the many other FOB-on-moose success stories).
    Thanks.

Almost all fletching makes noise. I've been downrange and off to the side of arrows at 3D tournaments and it's amazing how much noise arrows make. FOBs are no different. You have to disturb air for a fletching to work. Disturbed air makes noise.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I just went back to the link, and reviewed what others are saying, see quote below:

"They do make a little noise but most of the noise is directed back at the shooter. I have taken many animals from 20 to 70 yards with fobs and never had any issues with the fob noise. Always remember your bow noise is almost always going to be louder than the vane/fob noise and that will always get to the animal first."

In a nutshell, this is what I said in my earlier post.
    In a nutshell you are correct 6X. The arrow speed is 1/3 the speed of sound, and the max reaction time is the time between the sound hit, and the arrow hits. Hence the importance of making a well placed shot.

Yes, I also agree, no matter what is on the back end of the arrrow, FOB, vane, feathers, all make some noise. However, I still maintain the worst case is the sound from the point of release to the time the nock and string seperate is the maximum time delay. All of the sound from FOB/vane/feather is insignficant because of less time to get to the target.

This is probably why people spend significant effort to quiet the bow/strings. I have a BowTech Guardian, which it is inherently quiet. I added a Octane 7" stabilizer, to stabilize during the shot, not for recoil/noise suppression.