Thread: Funny River Area?

Default Funny River Area?

What's your thoughts on this area? How's the crime rate (gangs,etc.)? Is there plenty of wildlife to view (bears, moose, etc.)? The wife and I are planning to spend our summers viewing wildlife and it seems that it would be kind of nice to be close to town for supplies and in case the wife gets bored. LOL. The property is about 10+ miles SE of Sterling and any thoughts on this area would be appreciated. Hope you all have a Happy New Year. Thanks again. Steve.

Thumbs up

It's a pretty good area. One of my best friends lives out there. Sure, there is wildlife to include moose and bears of many colors. You're on the edge of the Moose Range, so all the land to your east is federal wilderness. You've got the Kenai river on the north (Sterling is across the river... there is no bridge to get there directly). Kiley river to the east and more wilderness to the south. Terrain is predominantly white and black spruce and lots of muskeg intermixed with low rolling hills. Soldotna is a half hour away on a 17-mile long, narrow 2-lane, paved, winding, hilly road. Lots of good snowmachine riding out there in the winter time.

Gangs? Zero! Crime? Pretty dang low as it's so far out of the way and everyone out there owns at least several guns. There are a number of "snow birds" who just show up in the summer, but the "regulars" in that area tend to be outdoors men types who hunt, fish, and drive off road vehicles. For the most part, they are quite sociable folks out there.

As for "modern conveniences" there isn't much. A small general store will handle some basic needs in between trips to town. There is a full golf course behind the store. There is also a transfer station for garbage so you don't have to haul your trash all the way to the landfill.

The area was voted into the Central Emergency Services fire service area a couple years ago and there is a fire station out there now which really took a bite out of homeowner's insurance rates.

If you have any other questions about the area, feel free to ask or PM.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks JOAT. I sent ya a PM. Where is the Moose range in the Kenai area? Take care. Steve.

Default Moose Range...

...aka, the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, claims most of the land from Turnagain arm to Homer. It borders the Chugach National Forest on the east and private ownership along the Sterling highway communities to the west. Sterling and Funny River are nested inside a "cut out" of the refuge. To get to Funny River you actually have to drive through Refuge land.

There are some PDF maps of the refuge boundaries on this site:
    http://alaska.fws.gov/nwr/kenai/maps.htm
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

I grew up on a homestead just out side soldotna I did live for a few years on funny river road about 8 miles out it was gravel then and was verry few people there. there was alot of wildlife there i almost hit several moose and a lot of my frend did. In the spring there are alot of moose with there newborn calves and i ust to take alot of pictures of them. there are alot of bear both brown and black. Lots of bald eagles.. They even had a phesant farm out there and alot of people had turkeys. so on the trip to work you never knew what you were going to see.
    It is a busy place now they have alot of lodges on the first two miles. a nice airport Lots of places to fish the kenai river. The further out you go the less amount of traffic. The general area is prime for someone who loves to fish, or watch wildlife.
    Attached Images Attached Images