Thread: Rock proof intake

Default Rock proof intake

Has any one tried one of these. I am thinking of ordering one. I was thinking uhmw might be a good material for a small set of jet foot wings also.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

My dad bought one and is running it on a 225 yamaha. It has held up better than I would have thought. Last hunting season we hit a rock with it that would a ruined a normal foot. Only scratched the uhmw one. Just carry extra grates with you is all.
    06 custom weld storm 6 liter 212 and other stuff
    05 1000X with some little thing's done

Geesh Wolfkiller I don't know about those. I havn't used one but the 1/2" UHMW doesn't hold up very well, on the bottom of my boat, when I hit a rock. I can't imagine a UHMW foot would be much of an improvement.

Hey Wolf, I hammered my SportJon pretty hard last fall in the Delta river, even took a spin up Eureka creek and the UHMW held up pretty well, 1/2" 22" wide over the keel and 3/8" everywhere else. Is it perfect? What material is and where do you draw the line between functionality, ease of install, price, and insanity? As for using it on a jet foot for guide wings, I hit that nail a couple of years ago and it works great. Used 1/4". The boat I was running had its own set of parameters it liked and the wings created enough trim-like action with the lift they caused to make the boat plow a bit so I took them off. They did cut down on the cavitation I got in rough water going downstream, where most flat bottoms with a jet tend to cav if they do. All from my end, Oz

Default Where?

Where did you find one of those?
    As far as the UHMW wings, how would one get the material to take a bend and stay? I think it would have to be machined out of a block.

I know many who run the Rock Proof (717-957-4842) intake.

Pros:
    Take a hit that would destroy most cast intakes.
    Cons:
    Most say they loose a bit of top speed.
    Some say it cavitates More than the stock intake.

Tom Snyder (717-692-4294) out of PA is offering one from CNC machines UHMW block.

Feedback is nearly the same as the Rock Proof, but Snyder's has built in "intake fins" to help with cavitation issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Those are slick

Pun inteded
    So, why are people reporting a loss of top speed? Sectional area looks the same.