Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 wsm

Question 300 wsm

I just bought a set of RCBS FL Die SET for my 300WSM so I could reload for it. I got everything set and started reloading. After reloading a few rounds I tried them in rifle to find out the bolt was hard to close/open. I checked to make sure the bullet was seated far enough down and that was fine. After more looking and checking I found that after I run it through the sizing die it want hardly bolt in the gun. The die is adjusted just as instruction say. I even played with it a little to see if it made a difference but no luck.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I have reload quite a bit but never had a problem like this. Could it just be a bad set of dies? I did have a bad set of RCBS Dies once for my 356 Win. Also I have 2 different 300 WSM and the results were the same in both rifles(hard bolt).

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    I just bought a set of RCBS FL Die SET for my 300WSM so I could reload for it. I got everything set and started reloading. After reloading a few rounds I tried them in rifle to find out the bolt was hard to close/open. I checked to make sure the bullet was seated far enough down and that was fine. After more looking and checking I found that after I run it through the sizing die it want hardly bolt in the gun. The die is adjusted just as instruction say. I even played with it a little to see if it made a difference but no luck.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. I have reload quite a bit but never had a problem like this. Could it just be a bad set of dies? I did have a bad set of RCBS Dies once for my 356 Win. Also I have 2 different 300 WSM and the results were the same in both rifles(hard bolt).
    There are two immediate possibilities:

You have the seating die set so low it is trying to crimp the cases into crimping grooves on bullets that don't have them. That can cause bulging of the case necks just behind the crimp. It may be subtle, but still plenty to cause problems. You probably don't want any crimp at all with the WSM.

The second possibility is in cases that are too long. Did you check them? If they're too long, they can jam into the front of the chamber, causing both the problems you describe and the potential for dangerously high pressures.

It's not a crimping issue because I tried running some rounds through the bolt that had just been sized only(no bullet) and the bolt was still tight closing/opening. I shot a couple(2) rounds and after I shot them they worked smoothly through the bolt. Thanks for the help.

Also this brass has only been fired once(factory loads).

Default Try This

Try setting the die so the press actually has some caming action. Have the shell holder hit the bottom of the die before the lever bottoms out. I have to do this with my 300WSM that has a match chamber. I'm guessing minimum headspace so it has to size it that extra little bit. Doesn't seem like it would make a difference but it does.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I will give that a try when my son gets back home. I called Sportsman Warehouse(where I bought dies) and they said for me to bring them back and get another set. They also suggested for me to try the Redding Dies. So my son took the RCBS dies back and picked me up a set of the Redding Dies but I will have to wait on him to get back home. Thanks

Could you give us a little more info? I'm guessing you're FL sizing? Are you using factory once fired brass that you have fired from your rilfe? How did you check the seating of your bullets?

I've done some loading for my 300 WSM using New Norma brass. The 300 WSM max case length is 2.10 The new Norma brass is 2.085 and some Fed factory cases that I fired are less than 2.09 so I'm guessing brass length probably isn't a factor but you should measure it to be sure. I've done nothing but neck sizing. Some of the cases have been fired up to 5 times. Some of them were a little tight chambering but they went in OK.

I use Redding dies too. Let us know how they work.

MontanaRifleman,
    Yes I am full length sizing the brass. It is once fired Federal Brass out of my Tikka. The brass is tight chambering even without a bullet in it after running it through the sizing die. The brass fill the same way(tight chambering) even in another 300WSM(Ruger) that I have. The rounds shot fine and didn't show any signs of high pressure. It's just tight locking the bolt handle down and opening the bolt. Then after firing the round it will chamber just fine again.

My once fired wichester brass measured at 2.115, so I would measure your brass first. What is the COAL of the rounds you have complete? If your brass is long, cut it back to 2.090 and you should be fine. I load 300wsm with rcbs dies and dont have a problem with this setting.

MontanaRifleman,
    Yes I am full length sizing the brass. It is once fired Federal Brass out of my Tikka. The brass is tight chambering even without a bullet in it after running it through the sizing die. The brass fill the same way(tight chambering) even in another 300WSM(Ruger) that I have. The rounds shot fine and didn't show any signs of high pressure. It's just tight locking the bolt handle down and opening the bolt. Then after firing the round it will chamber just fine again.
    Sounds like it might be the dies but Blackfoot may have a good observation too. You might try his suggestion just for grins.

Default Check resized brass for visible rub marks after chambering

Hi there--First I would like to be sure that the brass you are loading was originally fired in the gun you are loading it for. If so, check to be sure that the fired brass chambers normally before resizing it. If it does, then I would suggest careful inspection of the brass that is giving you the hard bolt closing, after chambering it and closing the bolt. You should be able to find an area that is shiny or scratched a bit, where it was forced into the tight fit. If the brass isn't too long after resizing, which the previous posts mentioned, then if my theory is correct, you are "squashing" the brass somewhat in the die. I had that very thing happen to me, using nickel plated brass in RCBS dies, and the area where the shoulder meets the body of the cartridge was deformed enough to cause the exact problem you describe.

Comparative measurements between a resized "problem" case and a brand new factory case might give you the answer, too. Measure them for neck o.d., body o.d. where the main body meets the shoulder, and body o.d. just forward of the extractor groove. You can use a good caliper to get you plenty close to make this determination. (When it happened on my loads, close visual comparison between the resized shell and the factory or fired shell revealed what had happened). Since I don't know your experience level, there is one thing I thought I would mention--if you are loading for a controlled round feed type rifle, it isn't easy to get the extractor over the rim if you don't feed the cartridge up through the magazine. Just a thought.

Let us know what shakes out for you.

Good Luck!

Jim

Default BY THE WAY--My Problem Occurred during bullet seating

Just figured I should have mentioned that in my previous post.
    Jim

Well my son just made it home with the Redding dies. I tried them adjusted by the instruction and they were a little better. Than I tried adjusting it down a little further like Blackfoot suggested and they chamber just fine. I even went back and resized some of the brass that was giving me problems with the new Redding Dies and they chamber fine.

I tried the same thing with the RCBS Dies but it did not work. I also backed the RCBS dies out to make sure they were not rolling/collapsing the case but still got the same results. I'm just going with it was a bad set of dies. That will be the second set of RCBS dies that I've bought that were bad. RCBS made it right on the first set with out any trouble and I just exchanged these for a set of Redding Dies.

Thanks for all the help guys and if you have any pet loads for the 300 WSM you would like to share I would be thankful.

Default Load

68.5 grains of IMR-4831, Winchester Brass, Federal 215M primer, 165 grain Swift Scirocco.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Blackfoot
    Thanks for the help and load data.

66 gr H4350, 180 E-tips, Fed GM215M, Norme brass
    65.5 gr H4350, 168 TTSX's, Fed GM215M, Norma brass

These are both max loads in my rifle so you want to work up.
    Also, RL 17 is a new powder that's supposed to work well in WSMs with greater velocities. There's a couple of threads on it.

Cheers,

Mark

65gr Reloader 19, Win Brass, CCI 250 primers, and 180 Barnes TSX

currently working on the same workup with 180 TTSX, cant wait to try the Reloader 17 though.

I had the same thing happen with a set of 308win RCBS dies. My problem was that I was using a Lyman shell holder. I had to go with an RCBS shell holder. They are slightly different heights. The Lyman shell holder would not let the brass go up inside the die far enough.

I was using RCBS dies, RCBS shell holder and RCBS press. I believe it was just a bad set of dies. Thing are going fine with the Redding dies.

Thanks to everyone again for the help and load data. I will be off to a good start if I can just find some 165 grn TSX bullets or other 165 grn bullets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast