Thread: Planning a surprise trip for my hubby

Default Planning a surprise trip for my hubby

Okay,
    Let me say first that my husband is an avid duck hunter and until I met him, being the Georgia girl that I am, the only ducks I knew about were the ones with the green heads...mallards.. however, i am now extremely familiar with the MAX-4 camoflauge pattern and have also reconciled myself to the fact that most men don't care if all of their camoflauge matches...go figure..lol

i do not know anything about hunting even though I have grown up around it, except that everything it requires is extremely expensive (or either my husband's taste is....)

now, to the point, he is turning 40 next year and I know his dream is to hunt sea ducks from Alaska to add to his collection (if that is the politically correct term for all of the mounted waterfowl he has)...i don't think he cares where he hunts, he just wants to hunt in Alaska and is specifically wanting to hunt sea ducks, so I was wondering if any of you gentlemen and fellow waterfowlers can give me any suggestions about where to send him that would have a guided hunt or some type of inclusive package..i know airfare from here in the southeast is going to be a nightmare, so i am looking for something affordable as well...thanks in advance for all of your suggestions........brook

Default lucky husband!!!

A friend of mine is a sea duck guide. He has a web page Alaska Wildfowl adventures. Give him a call and he will be able to answer all your questions.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default special trip

That is an awesome gesture! Good luck! search sponsors and google.

i think i have emailed him..his site was interesting, so i am trying to get more info..thanks and if you have any more suggestions, please let me know also, is there a particular good location in alaska to hunt sea ducks or are they all pretty good for hunting?
    Last edited by abc31904; 12-28-2008 at 15:22. Reason: add info

Default I might be able to help

I live in Birmingham, Alabama and have hunted sea ducks in Maine, North Carolina, and Kodiak, Alaska. Amazingly enough, I'm headed back to Kodiak January of 2009. The guide I'm hunting with, guided me in 1992. He is a wonderful fellow and only likes to take serious collectors (mounted birds). The advise I would give you is plan the hunt for January. The birds are fully plumed (feathers look the best) this time of year. If you would like any information about the hunt I'm taking please feel free to PM. I will also give you the name of my guide. Take care and good luck!!!

Donny Mitchell

Thumbs up

What a great idea for you to do that for your husband!

Be sure that you take extra time to plan for the unexpected. I know that sounds silly, but considering all the issues that Seattle has had in the last week and some, it could be hard getting in and out of Alaska depending on when you are interested in having him fly out.

There are many great recommendations on this board. I wouldn't want you to go to just anybody by googling and searching on your own.
    Find good recommendations from people who have had experience here in AK like Rivense.

Also, be sure that he does in fact go on the hunt. I tried my best to plan an elk hunt for my husband in Idaho/Montana and there ended up being wildfires the year that I was to send him out. He lost out on the whole trip, ticket in all, and it was a huge disappointment for the both of us. It was a birthday present to him.

So... from a wife to a wife... plan it and make it happen... don't look back. He'll have the time of his life!
    Lurker.

I hunted with Buck in Seldovia this December. He has a website- try googling "seldovia hunting charters". Nice guy, definitely knows his duck-hunting, and has a pretty good system figured out.

Leave the dog at home, if applicable.

Good luck.

Doug

If it where me thats was going I would want you to either make like a cast and blast (fish&hunt combo) or a duck hunt with a side bear hunt, so for me i'd would want to hunt from kodiak. But really anywhere you can find a reputable guide is going to be a awesome experience.