Thread: Mini-14 ammo?

Question Mini-14 ammo?

I have just purchased a new Ruger Mini-14 5819 LE. Can anyone tell me if the cheaper Wolf ammo will cycle through it reliably. I am looking into buying in bulk to play with this rifle and want to get it right with the first 1000 rounds. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Ive used their pistol ammo with no problems, its pretty good ammo as far as i can tell... well pretty good for just shooting up, i wouldnt take it to a competition.
    I am told that some of the cases are steel and will wear down your extractors quicker than normal, ive never had a problem with the pistol ammo but a buddy of mine used steel case 223 in his AR and it wore down faster than normal.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Personally, I would avoid Wolf ammo at all costs... for anything. Steel cases especially, though they are making some brass case ammo as well. The powders seem to be more corrosive and leave excess fouling. The associated maintenance and cleaning you'll need with Wolf ammo makes the other bottom end ammos more economical in my opinion. I'd suggest going with your basic FMJ American Eagle (Federal) ammo, if you can find it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

AMMO CAN in anchorage, 1000rds for $400.00cash or $416.00CC/Check. They are the PMC 55gr. FMJ, good shooting stuff to plink around.

Personally I would go to AK Tactical and plunk down $450-460ish for 1000 rounds of Brass PMC 55gr FMJ's instead. But thats just me. He still had several cases when I was there last week. I like Boonies a lot too but they sold out of there cheaper stuff. BTW, Wal Mart in Eagle River has several 200 rd packs of Remington UMC .223 55gr FMJ's in stock now but they will run you about $105 a piece or roughly $525 per 1000. Pricey by Wal Mart standards for sure. Looks like they aren't the lowest price in town on this one. Good Luck.

Edited: this post was replying to earlier posts, didn't see the last post recommending PMC for even less at Ammo Can. Looks like someone else already found the best deal in town.

Default +1 on PMC

What I've shot in my AR's, and my Mini-14 and bolt guns has shot a heckuva lot better than I figured it should! The last round of Wolf that I used was the day my son left half the case stuck in his brand new rifle. I've still got a bunch of the 7.62X39 stuff kicking around, but I'm getting rid of it fast as I can.
    Oh, by the way, the PMC is boxer primed, so it's reloadable, and I do reload it. Nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    What I've shot in my AR's, and my Mini-14 and bolt guns has shot a heckuva lot better than I figured it should! The last round of Wolf that I used was the day my son left half the case stuck in his brand new rifle. I've still got a bunch of the 7.62X39 stuff kicking around, but I'm getting rid of it fast as I can.
    Oh, by the way, the PMC is boxer primed, so it's reloadable, and I do reload it. Nice stuff.

are you saying that the case split and the front half was left in the chamber? I had some winchester (new) do that to me twice in my NEF 223 single shot, no biggie i just used a TAP from my tool box to pull it out... just becareful not to scratch up the chamber.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Default "Twas...

First shot through the barrel of a spanking new Springfield Armory M1A. The forward portion of the case was left in the chamber, bolt locked back, and when the muzzle was tipped up, the remainder of the case slid out. He actually did fire a second shot, and the extractor ripped through the rim, leaving the entire case in. Same thing, tipped the rifle up, and the case slid out with his finger nail.....might work fine in a bolt gun, but it was apparently NOT what that rifle liked.
    I've used quite a bit of it trying to bust jackrabbits out of an SKS, and in that rifle, it seems to function fine, but there's a lot of difference in cash outlay for even a top of the line SKS and an M1A or even an AR15. My best guess is that the pressure spike just wasn't timed right for the M1A, the case was still sealed against the chamber walls when the op-rod was trying to pull the bolt and case out.
    GI ball, and handloads couldn't reproduce what we experienced that day......your experience with Wolf steel cased loads might be entirely satisfactory, but it's left me cold on the brand.
    I TRY to always remember to put a broken case extractor in my pocket or tool kit when I head out. Haven't had to use it yet, but in my youth, I had a case split in a vintage 99 Savage .30-30 carbine, and scratched the chamber deeply trying to gouge the thing out...
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 01-02-2009 at 21:28. Reason: .

Default Mini 14 ammo

If your shooting wolf in your mini 14 it wont last too long.Its made for cromed chambered guns which the mini 14 is not.I stich to Winchester and Remington 223.I have used military loads but they are a pain to reload.Stick to the good stuff or tear your gun up qwuick.