Thread: Options for 1 Man Cat

Default Options for 1 Man Cat

So just got my first 1 man cat. A 7' Fishcat Streamer. Not exactly my first choice, but the deal could not be beat.

So question is what are some good creeks or rivers for this size cat?

I have been down Willow Creek several times on an 8' cat and love that float, just looking for some new water with good fishing.

If you have experience you should be able to float just about any river to class 3 with no issues. Gulkana is a nice run. Kenai would be no problem. You could do the canyon too if you had someone to tow you accross the lake
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thanks Chuck!

So anyone with a 1 man care to share some experiences?

I love my one-man. Sheep Creek from upstream of the lodge down to the bluffs is a fun, short trip. As is the Upper Kenai from Kenai Lake down to Jim's.

Best thin I ever did for mine was to fabricate a cup holder to keep juice and soda bottles stable.

I've got a 10 foot outcast and i love the thing. I do the kenai a lot from the lake down to jims. Haven't done the canyon yet becuase 1. i havent done it before, and 2. i dont want to row the 6 miles across skilak lol. maybe a small motor is in store for the future...

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I've got a 10 foot outcast and i love the thing. I do the kenai a lot from the lake down to jims. Haven't done the canyon yet becuase 1. i havent done it before, and 2. i dont want to row the 6 miles across skilak lol. maybe a small motor is in store for the future...
    I had planned on a 9' or 10' Outcast but the 7' fell in to my lap. A couple of Saturday's putting in a waste system in my buddies cabin, and he bought all the beer, how could I refuse. It is a sweet boat.

I am thinking the Kenai will be my first float in it.

Kenai in march and april. Ill let you know a week ahead of time. i always to the last weekend in april before the river closes too

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Kenai in march and april. Ill let you know a week ahead of time. i always to the last weekend in april before the river closes too

Sweet. is it March yet

Default Kenai

I've floated various sections of the upper and lower Kenai countless times with 8 and 10 footers. Your one man is ideal for most of these floats. I enjoy the section from Kenai lake to Sportsman's becuase there are fewer people and you can play a little in the bits of faster water below the Princess Lodge, and just below the bridge. These single person pontoons are amazingly stable. On my Dad's first trip in an 8 footer, I warned him to stay to the right on the corner below the bridge, as he didn't have much rowing experience. He lost control and ended-up going through the worst part of that corner sideways and completely backwards with no problems. He came out grinning from ear to ear. After seeing him go through like that, I am much more confident in the stability of these boats.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I've floated various sections of the upper and lower Kenai countless times with 8 and 10 footers. Your one man is ideal for most of these floats. I enjoy the section from Kenai lake to Sportsman's becuase there are fewer people and you can play a little in the bits of faster water below the Princess Lodge, and just below the bridge. These single person pontoons are amazingly stable. On my Dad's first trip in an 8 footer, I warned him to stay to the right on the corner below the bridge, as he didn't have much rowing experience. He lost control and ended-up going through the worst part of that corner sideways and completely backwards with no problems. He came out grinning from ear to ear. After seeing him go through like that, I am much more confident in the stability of these boats.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your boat.

My 2 person is 13'6 from end of tube to end of tube. I run it smack down the middle of princess chute. I used to shy away from the rollers on the corner I call the russian river corner. The road in runs along side it there. Now June and I stick our boat right over the top. Just a fun ride. I have had the first 2 feet of my toons under the water jsut to have it pop up and keep on trucking. Got some great video of it too. June and I do the Bridge down to sportmans or jims alot in june and early july. Like Scot stated there is alot less people up top. Fishing is hit or miss but on a nice day it is a great float. If we see it is a nice day we just head on down to jims and enjoy 10 or 12 wonderful hours on the water.

Hey Scott, I remember the first time I got on a cat. Willow creek in June. water was pretty high and fast. Started at the bridge, by the time I hit the first corner I was out of control and heading for about 10 bank fishermen. Spun right through all of them (never getting hooked I might add). About the fourth corner I came upon a buddy of mine fishing from the bank who proceeded to grab me and pull me to shore.

I spun all the way down to he mouth, had a blast except the guy that was floating with us in a canoe. He was equally bad, his idea of steering was to paddle faster. Only ran over me once at least.

If you have experience you should be able to float just about any river to class 3 with no issues. Gulkana is a nice run. Kenai would be no problem. You could do the canyon too if you had someone to tow you accross the lake
    How much experience Chuck?

I've got a one man cat by creek company and I thought more of lake fishing than floating rivers or creeks.

But seeing your post here made me curious of what the possibilities are with the one man cat.

Where would you recommend as a starting place to get experience?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    How much experience Chuck?

I've got a one man cat by creek company and I thought more of lake fishing than floating rivers or creeks.

But seeing your post here made me curious of what the possibilities are with the one man cat.

Where would you recommend as a starting place to get experience?

Ken

I would float from the ferry crossing to Jims landing. Float it with someone who knows the river. Just take it easy. stay in the main channel and get used to your raft. float that section a few times and then you can challenge yourself to some of the side briads. that part of the Kenai is very wide and does not have sweepers or many things to look out for. I have taken a few newbies down it. if you have any rowing ability at all you should be just fine. I took one guy last year who scared the hell out of me. I pulled him over and made sure he took every word i said to heart. Same boat as me. He was fine by the end of the day.

Default Good Advice Chuck

That's the best way to get used to rowing in moving water. I would add a caution to make sure you can row the boat well in still water before you jump into the current.

I took my nephew out a couple years ago. We put in mid river, below Cooper Landing in some moderately fast current. He said he'd rowed boats before and was sure he'd be fine. I finally caught-up to him just above Gwin's lodge and we caught our shuttle back to the truck. He lost my rod and reel (which I never recovered!) to an overhanging tree and generally made an ass of himself, (and me screaming instructions at him from upstream..."Right oar! Left oar! Both oars!") I ended-up tying our pontoons together to float the last 1/4 mile or so to the eddy at Gwins. By the time it was all said and done, he didn't want to float any further down river and I was just bummed about my reel. I let him use a cheap rod, but I loved that Gunnison. I still have a spare spool, but no reel to use it on.

I will say, in hindsight, I should never have believed he had any experience and tested him in a lake first. He's just one of those guys. My buddy's two kids (8 and 10) rowed that section with me just a week or two before, so I really thought it was a no brainer. Boy was I wrong.

Never let someone borrow something you can't afford to lose.

You should have gave him the Gunnison spool for Chistmas

Live and learn they say.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Thanks

When I lauched from sportsmans this year I told my buddy. Just crank even and get in the main channel. Just like i am gonna do. Get behind me and just watch and do what i do to get a feel of your raft. I like you was yelling, Oar this, Oar that, Oh *&*&. When he lanched he got caught along the shore and I swear he did not miss a tree. Then we get past the ferry and I though Oh god. He is gonna take out the whole combat line. So I nix the power line channel and just guide him into an island. More like a controlled crash. As i stated in my other post. I was scared. My wife was scared. To this day I dont think he or his daughter really knew how close they were to screwing up. (Randy if you read this you did fine after the island) We had to tweak and oar angle and adjust a seat on the island. Explained that most rafts are turn able with a dip of an oar. Got him to hug next to my boat and showed him how to work smarter not harder. He did fine after that but i was worried about the landing. I must say he did listen and we had no issues. The still water is a good suggestion scott. I did not do alot of fancy stuff with my raft for the first year. Then the 2nd year i did the rapids. As that year went along I got real comfy with my boat and it actions and reactions. I can put my wife 8 to 10 feet of the cutbanks and hold that gap while she works the cuts and the drift. It has improved our success rate. Also being able to take some of the smaller side braids in the fall and nosing into certain spots for that one cast and drift. Some people ask dont i miss fishing when im on the oars. No I am fishing. Putting the boat in the spot june wants to allow her to put her fly or bead where she wants is nice. Then watching the strike and the fun is just like fishing to me. After all my best fishing friend is alot sexier than the rest of my fishing buddies

Default expectations

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Never let someone borrow something you can't afford to lose.

You should have gave him the Gunnison spool for Chistmas

Live and learn they say.
    If I loan something it's understood that if you loose it or damage it you WILL replace it!

Oh god. He is gonna take out the whole combat line.

LOL

I beleive I'd have paid money to see that.

June had the video recorder out. I know i could have won the 10,000 bucks on the video show for sure

Default Actually, I have to give myself kudos.

My wife and I talked about what to do with my nephew and decided to let it slide. He worked for me that summer and made some money, but not alot. If it were me, I would certainly have offered to pay for the lost equipment. Unfortunately, my sister didn't exactly teach this kid the best life skills, so the thought never occurred to him. You have to realize, this is the same guy who told me if I'd chop-up my Advil and snort 'em, they'd get into my system faster and work better.

I have to pat myself on the back, though, I never yelled at him or anything. I just told him I was glad he was safe and that the rod and reel weren't a big deal. We even stopped at a lake on the way home so he could row around a bit and have some fun.

You live and learn. I hope he learned some positive things while he was up here that summer. He's a kid who needs some good role models in his life.

As for the Gunnison, well, it took me a year, but I replaced it with a Galvan and I'm really happy with it. Now I just have to bite the bullet and buy an extra spool.