Thread: Resident Hunting Expenses ?

Question Resident Hunting Expenses ?

This has probably been covered before but I can't find a thread on it. I found a couple about how expensive it is for non res but I would like to know how much it cost the residents to hunt.

Let's say you are an Alaska resident living around Anchorage and in 2009 you are going to hunt Sheep, Deer, Moose and Caribou or what ever. You have all the equipment you need...rifle, bow, ammo, tent, sleeping beg, etc etc.
    What do you think (or know) you will spend on travel, licenses, tags etc.

thanks, gary

That's a question that's almost impossible to answer.
    Some guys can do all you mentioned with the exception of deer(have to take a plane or boat) with a reasonable chance of success for a few hundred in gas & shoe leather. His neighbor next door might spend several thousand on transportation alone.... I know guys that spent over $2000 just on gas for moose hunts on the Yukon.... And guys that literaly spent less than $10 on gas & got a bull....
    Most tags are free for us & license is under $50.
    $500 on the costs you mention would be a big year for me, but two friends from church have each spent (they don't hunt together) between $5,000 & 10,000 that I know of on transportation & travel expenses this year.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

thanks, I guess I should have asked how little can you get away with. I wasn't sure if the draw hunts were more expensive or not. So you can hunt most species for under $1,000 with a decent chance of seeing and maybe taking some animals. I suppose it is possible to drive then walk to some decent hunting? Even sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by 8nbait View Post
    thanks, I guess I should have asked how little can you get away with. I wasn't sure if the draw hunts were more expensive or not. So you can hunt most species for under $1,000 with a decent chance of seeing and maybe taking some animals. I suppose it is possible to drive then walk to some decent hunting? Even sheep?

Still a LOT of variables in there, but if you are willing to put in the time and effort, then yeah you can do it for often less than the $1K. Just be willing to hike a great deal to get to know the areas the hold animals real well. This can take years to finally find a decent areas at times. Other times you get lucky and find a reasonably easy to access area that holds animals right away.

That said there is still a BUNCH of scouting, research, and time involved generally for a fella that doesn't even know what animal he is targeting or even what part of the state that person wants to target a particular animal in.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

how much is a bag of apples? urban moose love them... come right to the window...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I put in for 4 different goat & sheep tags (two of each) all within about an hours drive of my house in Kenai. When you park the truck the work starts though...
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

yeah, I realize there are alot of variables. I thought maybe most people had to fly to get to decent hunting areas so it is good to know you don't HAVE to fly, there are other options. The cheapest method is almost never the easiest . But it can be done so that is what I was getting at. Glad to hear areas are accessible without the major expenses.

thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.

There is no doubt that 100% determination & committment with lot's of financial resources will give you a better chance than 100% determination & committment with little resources, but both of the guys I spoke of that spent between $5000 & $10000 each this year (and both of who are very good hunters with a fair amount of success in their past & great determination, good physical & mental conditioning etc) have no wild critters in the freezer this year. Lot's of fun chasing moose, deer, brownies, etc though(and not a complaint from either of them)!
    Vance in AK.

Ohhhhhhhh , Man!~Spend $$ on Hunting???

I have just done X-Mas with 7 kids, 4 grand kids and plenty of friends.....
    Its -8, and stove oil is 7.85$ a gallon.

Im BROKE!!!! .......again.....

Guess I have to get wood and go hunt!!! No point in getting cold and Hungry.

Wouldnt have to hunt if I only had a Millon $$

Default basically....

the same it would cost you, less the non res license, tags, travel from/to wherever.
    yes, we can hunt brown/griz bear, sheep & goat without a guide (though some residents do use one - they don't get a discount for being a resident).
    other than that, our learning curve is tighter - we do live here and get to talk to people who've been here longer & done that & maybe even get invited to accompany them on a hunt.
    Gary